View Full Version : Panic re-power mode

Mr. Sandman
04-30-2004, 07:36 PM
Port engine thru a rod today right thru the block.

Need to do some serious thinking tonight about this boat.

I suppose it is a blessing that it happend now instead of 10 mi off the beach or about to drift onto a rockpile in heavy surf.

I have I told you why I hate outboards.....

Next boat has real power. diesel.

MTC
04-30-2004, 07:47 PM
I know a guy who buys late model motors from OMC Dealers that had warranty head failures and puts new powerheads on them. He has some 150 and 200 in great shapr for a good price. Email me and I'll get you his name.

MTC
04-30-2004, 07:56 PM
My pal has 2-92 rebuilt C rotating Rudes $3795 each

2 200hp CR @ 3,795 (1992 Rebuilt) $3795 each

2 150's CR 1989 Rebuilt $2950 each

He will install them

Mr. Sandman
04-30-2004, 08:00 PM
Thanks for the leads...I think it is time for a change though.

Fish On
04-30-2004, 10:20 PM
Tough luck Sandman. You deserve a big catch this year for that one.

Vectorfisher
05-01-2004, 05:59 AM
Thats really too bad Sandman, I think that is the main reason why I try and get the boat going in late March every year, I want to find the problem while I still have time, this year it was the fuel sending unit and after some 4 weeks it is finally fixed. If my memory serves me right you had the Rude Ficht's? How many hours? Did you decarb your motor frequently, use ram ficht oil and carbon guard? Just curious, I am seriously considering a 4 stroke in a couple years, we'll see how they pan out, I do however like the sounds of the ne E-tecs. In any event all you can do is smile it's mechanical and we all know there prone to failure.

JohnR
05-01-2004, 07:54 AM
Ouch. Were you happy with the performance on the twin 150s? Must have went very nice. You could put a single 4 stroke on the back, like the Suzi 250 but you will lose speed & power from the twins. Go with a Yami 250-300 HPDI, single 225-250 Ficht.

Might be time to put a single 250 with a 20 kicker and Sea Tow. Same some money, some fuel, single warranty, single maintenance, some redundancy with kicker & ST (unless you're going 30 offshore...

I don't think you want to put more weight on the back unless you have a floatation bracket like a Hermco or Armstrong. Could always do the twin 140's and a Bracket. Real tough call. All I will say is please do not put another 800+ pounds of motor on the back of that without a flotation bracket, hat to see it do a stern slide.

Mr. Sandman
05-01-2004, 03:51 PM
Well, I bit the bullet today.
A yamaha 225 4 stroke is on the way.
Should be an interesting performance comparison....will post.

MTC
05-01-2004, 05:02 PM
My outboard guru said that twin ob's fight each other for water. When you add the additional weight you can lose up to 20% of your total HP. IE 140+140*.8 = 225 HP. You will be supprised on the performance and with fuel going up a very happy fisherman

Van
05-01-2004, 08:09 PM
Jim:

Feel like selling a prop off the dead engine?
Dia, pitch ?

Mr. Sandman
05-02-2004, 03:21 PM
MTC....we'll see, I am expecting poorer performance but an increase fuel econ, better acoustics at idle, improved trolling performance and hopefully (fingers crossed) better reliability.

Van,
Maybe. I need to check a few places out that may want the entire rig. (I think it is 17X19 but I can't remember..I have to look.) Also I doubt it will useful to you remember these were sized for a 23 with twins.

Another buddy is telling me to take it on as a project, have the powerhead replaced and sell the working pair. I don't think I am up for that though.

JohnR
05-02-2004, 06:25 PM
MTC - I know a couple 23SCs with twin 150s and they get up and go. There were faster than a single 225 and sucked up more fuel too...

Mr Sandman - very interested on the numbers you get :)

Mr. Sandman
05-02-2004, 06:35 PM
I have good numbers with the 150's pre blow-up. Should be wet in a 2-3 weeks...(if all goes well, but you know boating...)There may be a break in before I can run WOT.

I need to find the right prop for a single 225 4 stroke on this boat...will check the boating web sites...

05-03-2004, 07:10 AM
Sandman,

Sorry to hear about your problems. Have you considered maybe a pair of Suzuki DF140s, they probably would cost only slightly more than the F225 Yamaha.

Mr. Sandman
05-03-2004, 07:16 AM
Yeah, I did...I can't get service for them out here it would be a hassle to take them off island. I almost went that route..the weight issue is about the same as what I had with the rudes.

I only plan to keep this rig another season or two and then move up to a slightly larger boat. This is not my ultimate boat. (is any boat your ultimate boat?:confused: )
Should make an easy re-sale when the time comes, 00 boat with warrented 04 4stroke power and 03 trailer.

05-03-2004, 08:57 AM
Ok Sandman, the F225 will surely help when it comes time to sell. Not a bad investment at all. I just love the Suzukis, I currently have a new Yamaha F150 and the jury is still out on it over my past Suzukis

macojoe
05-03-2004, 01:50 PM
Sorry to hear the news!! Been there done that!

For your prop ?? I have two friends that have put double props on there 225hp ??
I don't no to much about them but they go real nice in the water!! One prop goes in front of the other.

I could ask if you wanted me to.

Mr. Sandman
05-03-2004, 02:20 PM
That is a counterrotating prop...probably on a vovlo I/O. I have not seen to many outboads with that...but they could exsist I guess.

fishsmith
05-03-2004, 02:55 PM
Sandman,
Sorry to hear about your loss of one motor, but congrats on your new baby.
Last season I did alot of fishing on boats with the 2003 version of your motor. a 23 Parker cabin and a 23 Grady gulfstream.
The Parker ran up 6100 rpms WOT, this year the dealer recommends a greater pitch (I'll update with the numbers, I don't know them off hand)
The Grady ran up 5500 WOT.
All signs are it's a great motor, pushes both boats along very well.
At idle, these motors are whisper quiet, once opened up the 4 stroke hums loud, where the 2 stroke screams, but I'd say decibles are about the same.

The parker has morse controls, which got pretty corroded on the underside from salt, the mechanic said this problem doesn't happen with the yammi controls.

Good luck, and those first 10 hours of break-in are the longest.

Mr. Sandman
05-03-2004, 03:19 PM
fishsmith,
Thanks. I remember that. I have been looking a lot at the yamaha website and that engine has a range of 5K-6K WOT. Also, on the same site under ther performance bullitens
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/products/otb/perfbull/4StrokePerf_HPV6.htm
There are a handful of boats that seem to run in the 5800-6100 range most were running at 6000. This seem fast to me for a 4 stroke considering my 2 stroke rude ran WOT at recomennded 5500 (which I thought was low) Looking at the weights of those boats I and their performance I need a 15 1/4 X 17 or a 15/14 X 19 Salt water series prop . I will get the 17 pitch and see what it does and if I need more pitch I'll get the 19.

It seemed all the boats > 3000# had the 17 and the lightest boat 2300# pathfinder had the 19". These tests were all run by yamaha techs and it looks like they were shooting for 6000 rpm.

I have to say SC's web site sucks, there is no useful data no info other then call you dealer. The dealers know less then I do. They should have every seatrial test done on line with all their models. They have squat.

I bet the "right one" is 15 1/4 X 18 which is not off the shelf but I could have a 15 1/4 X 19 tweeked to ideal. I will do the tests and post results.
Your right that first 10 hours will be killa...I want to open her up out of the gate...but I will restrain myself.

By the way what GPS speed did you get out ouf yours...did you make it past 40mph?

I would estimate my boat to make 41-44 mph @ 6K with the right prop. Not fast but not underpowered either.

fishsmith
05-03-2004, 03:38 PM
No luck on 40mph, GPS speed is 32 - 33kts on the Parker, it's around 6K lbs fully loaded.

Mr. Sandman
05-03-2004, 03:42 PM
Did you see this...
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/products/otb/perfbull/marinepdfs/parker/bulletin_otb_4StrokePerf_HPV6_225hp_020-PKR-A.pdf

or this:

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/products/otb/perfbull/marinepdfs/parker/bulletin_otb_4StrokePerf_HPV6_225hp_0143-PKR-A.pdf

dutch39
05-03-2004, 08:17 PM
Hey Sandman
My fishing buddy has that engine on a 25/26?'Parker.
Its a great engine.

More than enough power.
Good on fuel and QUIET!

You are going to luv it.

Good luck

macojoe
05-04-2004, 10:41 PM
Your right sandman! It is a counter prop and it is on a outboard but it is a different lower unit all toghter!!
You will love the Yamaha!! I have had mine for two seasons now and love it!! It a older 175 but very quiet!! More quite then my I/O was.

Good Luck

ScottM
05-05-2004, 06:55 AM
Yamaha does (or did) have a counter-rotating prop setup on their V-Max or Pro-Max series. I saw one a couple weeks ago in Florida. Not sure if it can be fitted to the 4S?

Sandman,
From what I've learned of the 4S's, they produce their power at higher RPMs than a 2S, that is why they run up higher. If you look at a comparison chart or boat test, you'll see that a 2S 225 will do say 25 knots at 4,500, whereas the 4S 225 might achieve that speed at 5,000. My guess is you will see a noticeable difference in hole shot over your 'Rudes - slower out of the hole with the 4S.

Regarding the SC web site, you're right, it is terrible. It's a shame that they don't have any pride in their boats like Potter and the earlier years. I don't think they've updated their site in 2-3 years.

Hooper
05-05-2004, 04:37 PM
I threw a rod in my Mariner after fishing Orion and McBlair one morning with my wife. I thank the Good Lord it didn't happen out there, she would have had a stroke and I would still be hearing about it today!

We were headed to the island for lunch when it blew about four miles outside of the harbor. Took HyLine home while my SeaCraft sat on a mooring, sucked seeing your boat left behind!

Best of luck with your Yami, should be a great motor for you.

-Hooper:)

Mr. Sandman
05-05-2004, 06:02 PM
Thanks guys for the nice thoughts....This is a budget buster but I am doing evering I can to minimize the pain... now where is that bottle of wine:gu: