View Full Version : Hurricane rods

Nebe
05-01-2004, 06:52 PM
A friend of mine gave me his old Hurricane Rod from the 60's .... I fished it today and fell in love:love: The thing casts a mile, and has just the perfect amount of spine to it to set the hook, but whippy enough to use really light test line... I think its 7'6"..

Anyone here using one of these oldies?? do they still make them??
My tried and true Tica has been retired:laughs:

basswipe
05-02-2004, 07:16 AM
My father has one.Bought it in Keywest when he was stationed down there in the mid 60s.His I believe is 7'.Clear fiberglass with what I assume are stainless guides and blue wraps.The rod itself
has the consistency of an overcooked noodle.It needs a couple new guides and a tip.
The last time I saw that rod in action was when you could still fish from the Melville piers and my pop caught a 9lb fluke on a snapper blue head.That was more than 20yrs ago.What a site it was to see my dad catch that fish!Its a great memory.
Even if that rod was in top shape,I wouldn't be retiring my Tica.I love my Tica rod.

Nebe
05-02-2004, 07:40 AM
A wet noodle?? I think I have a different blank, because I've seen much more whipy rods than this. I admit though that this rod would not be the best for throwing poppers, but for the stuff I was doing yesterday, This rod was amazing... Yes, it has stainless guides and I believe these rods are designed for snook fishing, as snook have very delicate mouths, or at least thats what I've been told.

Crafty Angler
05-02-2004, 08:14 AM
The Tica is a great rod for the money - I got one for Mrs Crafty for Mother's Day - now I gotta find a reel to match it up with. I'm pretty impressed with the job they did on it for short $ .

Might go with something like a Shimano for her or one of those new Quantum saltwater reels - guy I know has one, says they're dandy.

I'm keeping my Penns and Lami's for the Big Shpaccone (alright, Medium Sized Shpaccone) :D - that would be me - til I see that she really is interested in the game.

basswipe
05-02-2004, 08:25 AM
Crafty I have the 8ft Tica with a Shimano Spheros 8000.The two go together like bread and butter.Excellent reel.Sweet plugging setup.I've fished the Sakonnet river from one end to the other and caught a bunch of fish on it.Absolutely no complaints.

Gonna try to get my fathers' rod fixed.I think it would make an excellent squeteague rod.

Crafty Angler
05-02-2004, 08:28 AM
Hey Basswipe, is the Spheros real expensive ?

Don't wannna sound too thrifty but I got a coupla big items I'm saving for, don't wanna blow all my slush fund on an intro set-up for my bride if it turns out she's not gonna use it a lot -

What do ya have it spooled with?

basswipe
05-02-2004, 08:35 AM
$100 bucks Crafty.For me it was absolutely worth it,but I also use
it 3-4 times a week.I have it spooled with 17lb Trilene Big Game Supreme.

Crafty Angler
05-02-2004, 08:40 AM
Thanks, BW - I can do that - if da Mrs doesn't like it sounds like it'd be a good light(er) reel for me -

I still like the heavier Penns for later in the year - maybe not real impressive but the old #&**#% things workk as long as ya pay a little attention to 'em now and again.

Got my new chromed classic 'American Chopper' converted 704 to use this year - I'm gonna drill and port another one I got and a coupla 710's, too - the 704 is gonna look good hangin' off my Lami -

Gonna go back to basics this year, had all winter to ruminate on some new theories about old spots and techniques - they may just work, too.......:smokin: ....we'll see.