View Full Version : What would you prefer

JCXX
07-17-2001, 06:42 AM
If given a choice to go conventional (penn mag25)or spinning (penn 706 or VS 300) on a 1209 Allstar, what would you prefer?

Application will be at the ditch and more likely Monatauk. Opinions appreciated :)

chris L
07-17-2001, 07:35 AM
conventional , just because I like to throw heavy things with a conventional !

jettyjockey18
07-17-2001, 07:40 AM
i believe slipknot uses a 1209 with a neptune and we know about his fishing exploits in the ditch :)

i just picked up a 10' lami ditch stik (spinner) with the nautil that i really like (and finally chistened)

i think i boils down to what do you prefer??? how proficient are you with a conventional??

hows that for answering a question with a question? ;)

Saltheart
07-17-2001, 08:31 AM
Conventional. BG7000CL. 50 Lb Spectron. 50 LB Ande leader albrighted on. Great set up for the Ditch. Can throw down to 3OZ well (2OZ is real boarderline) and up to 8OZ plus bait. Real nice for 3-5 OZ jigs.

DamonM
07-17-2001, 09:00 AM
In my opinion, that rod is definitely not a spinning rod. I built a 1208 spinning that was a real meat stick and would have made a better conventional. Most of these guys that fish the canal prefer conventional equipment for heavy tackle. Also, the VS 300 is a big, heavy winch and unless you already own one, I would caution against buying one. A friend of mine has one and its a very limited use reel. The VS 200 is the most versatile and can be used on rods from 8-11 feet and from boats.

Mike P
07-17-2001, 10:22 AM
Joe---what are you going to use that club for at Montauk? Just out of curiosity? I can't think of a single thing I'd use that 1209 for there, unless I was going to sling bait on a 6 oz sinker. Throwing darters on a conventional---no way;-)

The rod is a small heaver for bait, and it's a Ditch jigging rod---that's about all it's good for. The 1208 which you already have is a much more versatile rod and has all the guts you need for Montauk.

Your VS 200 with braid is also all the reel you'd ever need for that rod, if you decide to go spinning. It's a very light blank for all the strength it has, and the 300 will just throw it out of balance. I would think if you want a bigger reel for it, the 250 will be the logical step up. That's the model equivalent in size to the 706, not the 300.

Patrick
07-17-2001, 10:51 AM
JCX,

I know you don't care for me but I recently asked the guys and gals here for their opinions of the Breakaway 100MH I think it was. It's built on the All-star 1209 blank. I got quite a few helpful responses that you might be interested in reading. To sum up what the other guys said, there are better choices on the market because the 1209 isn't nearly as versatile. Mike told me just about the same thing as he told you. Good for the ditch for heavy jigs but a poor choice for other places. Let me see if I can find the link for you.

I am SO confused as to what to get (http://65.2.162.230/cgi-bin/StriperTalk/UltraBoard.cgi?action=Read&BID=1&TID=8334&SID=29922)

Good luck with your rod pick

JCXX
07-17-2001, 11:47 AM
Thanks guys.

Mike, I am impressed! Do you have the rest of my inventory? :) Thanks for that invaluable insight. I agree that the 1208 feels good with the 200. Montauk might be a bad example but who said I may not going to Hatteras ;) I really like the feel of the 1209, you just know won't be undergunned.

Patrick,
Thanks for the link.