View Full Version : Gas Grills???

MountainBreeze
05-03-2004, 07:15 AM
Thinkin' bout' gettin' a gas grill this year to do a little BBQn'.

Don't know Jack about em' but want a decent quality one. Doesn't need all the bells n' whistles... but want to be able to cook a fair amount / variety of stuff on it.

Any suggestions???

Thanks,
Rob

fishdump
05-03-2004, 07:36 AM
Get a Weber. I have one and it is the best grill I've ever had. It has three burners so things cook a lot more evenly. They are a little pricey, but worth the extra change. I have the model with the single side burner, comes in handy on those really hot days for the corn on the cobb, steamers, etc... when you don't want to be running all the burners on the stove heatin up the house. I have owned charbroil and sunbeam grills, they just don't last. Home Depot also carries Webers so replacement parts, if you ever need them are easy to come by. Just my 2 cents.

Bassman18
05-03-2004, 08:26 AM
I agree with fishdump, weber is the way to go. I've had mine for a couple of years without any problems, and it still cooks very well. I couldn't ask for a better gas grill in my backyard (sure gives the charcoal grill some competition :D )

spence
05-03-2004, 08:33 AM
Weber makes a fine grill, but I would buy a Vermont Castings. They are a better value, more solid and look much nicer.

-spence

The Dad Fisherman
05-03-2004, 08:41 AM
I've been checking out the Vermont Castings and they seem to be a solid grill. I think thats going to be our next grill. The ouside is Porcelain coated and should stand up well in the weather.

The Weber is also a good shoice. i love there Charcoal Grills and there Gas grills seem to hold up well also.

The Sunbeams and Charbroils are "Disposable" Grills. You use them for 2-3 years and get a new one.

Brinkmann has a gas grill out now. i have there Smoker and it is Solid but I haven't heard much about their gas grills.

fishsmith
05-03-2004, 08:43 AM
I got a cheapo (sunbeam or charbroil) for a wedding gift 6 years ago yesterday. I use it all the time, changed the element and the metal grate once, and the tank when they went to the new valve.
I like indirect heating my food on the grill, brown some grill marks on it, then put the food on the unlit side and put the other side on high, close the top, an hour or so later nice non burnt to hell tender food.
Save the $$ for high end fishing gear.

HighTide
05-03-2004, 09:31 AM
I didn't know Vermont Castings was in the grille business:confused: They make good stuff.

MtnBrz1, If you want a decent grille, go to a store that specializes in Grilles, not Home Depot. Spend the few extra dollars on it and you won't regret it. I picked up a Broil King from All-Town in Weymouth, and it's the best grille I've ever owned, well worth it.

I've had Sunbeams and Charbroils that wouldn't make it through two seasons waste of $, IMO

BlitzinBlues
05-03-2004, 10:55 AM
WEBER, hands down. Most even cooking grill you can get for the dough.

Hooper
05-03-2004, 11:24 AM
Believe it or not, but I got a really great grill for $283 at WalMart.

We were going to buy a Weber, had the money in hand, but for double the price....? I was a nonbeliever until a friend dragged me to see the grill, and it is really really well built.

Just a thought...

Bernzy
05-03-2004, 11:48 AM
http://www.hollandgrill.com/family.html

RickBomba
05-03-2004, 04:56 PM
I bought a grill from Costco four years ago, all stainless, ceramic coated cast iron grates, 2 44,000 btu cast iron elements. Also came with a rotisserie attatchment and inra red heater for it.
It rocks, I take it apart every two years, grind down the elements, and good to go.
Besides the rotisserie, no bells and whistles on it either.
It's a TANK!!! Sure it will last me for the next forty years.
In short, figure out what you want, forget about the high racks and side burner attatchments, and spend the money.
Mine was like $800, but it cooks just like it did four years ago.
Porbably use it like 3x a week during the summer, as well.
Later,
Rick

Crafty Angler
05-03-2004, 05:51 PM
I finally gave up on gas, it just ain't like real charcoal for flavor - I always felt like I coulda dragged the kitchen stove outta the house after grilling a steak -

It's messy, I know and inconvenient but what's 20 minutes to wait? I got a real nice HD steel charcoal grill on sale a while back - cranked it up for the 1st time Saturday for lunch - damn, if it wasn't raining, I'd fire it up again tonite.

Always have charcoal on hand anyway for smoking bluefish.

The Dad Fisherman
05-04-2004, 07:40 AM
I agree with you about Charcoal. Nothing tastes better than a Steak over the coals. I have a big Brinkmann barrel smoker that I swear by and a Weber Charcoal Grill.

Gas grills do have there place in the grilling world though. You can throw a small Cast Iron smoker box w/ wood chips to do smoking. plus the rotissrie option is nice. And having 2 kids involved in Soccer, baseball, Softball, basketball, CubScouts, Brownies, dance class and other assorted activities i don't have the 20 minutes to wait.

But on Sunday afternoons the gas Grill is Non-Existent.

new jack
05-04-2004, 09:14 AM
WEBER.......all the way.
A few things to look out for:

Home depot only carries the webers with cast iron grates whcih only have a 1 year warrenty. You have to season the grates to get them to last or else they rot away fast.

If you want a weber with eaither the porclin enamel grates or better yet the the stainless steel grates you have to go to a smaller chain hardware store like ACE.

if you go with the stainless steel grates you geta much better warrenty on all of the parts.:D

MountainBreeze
05-04-2004, 12:53 PM
WOW!

Thanks for all the info folks!

Cheers,
Rob