View Full Version : Squid yet?

MakoMike
05-03-2004, 04:13 PM
I hear they're starting to catch them in Hyannis, anyone hear of any in RI waters yet?

goosefish
05-03-2004, 04:47 PM
The fish trap off Ledge road is starting to see 'em, so it could be tonight or tommorow night over in the East Passage. Haven't heard anything over this way. Weaks in the HOR?

Crafty Angler
05-03-2004, 08:18 PM
Almost went and checked the GI Causeway yesterday but town was busy with the parade so I passed -

I would guess there's Colemans hanging over the water there now as we type - :rolleyes:

CANAL RAT
05-04-2004, 02:22 PM
whats a good rod,reel for squid fishing

goosefish
05-04-2004, 03:05 PM
A beater spinning combo, light line, fast action. Basically whatever you have that's kicking around. Any freshwater setup will do.

The Dad Fisherman
05-04-2004, 03:10 PM
What kind of Jig do you put on the end of the line?

Fishguts
05-04-2004, 03:11 PM
I went to GI Saturday night there were a few squid around didn’t see anyone jigging them up. I spent a couple of hours at it with not even a hit. man my 6 year old is loosing respect for me thats three trips and nothing yet.

basswipe
05-04-2004, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by The Dad Fisherman
What kind of Jig do you put on the end of the line?

A squid jig of course:D !!!

Mike P
05-04-2004, 03:22 PM
Any reel that turns without seizing, and any rod (the shorter the better) that you can jig with one-handed will work.

I prefer the squid jigs with the needle-like prongs on them over those with treble hooks. You just turn the jig upside down and the squid slides off into your bucket.

Squid usually shoot ink when you first lift them out of the water. Leave them just above the surface for a few seconds until they jet out all the ink---those standing next to you will appreciate that little courtesy ;)

Squid ink doesn't come out of your clothes. Wear old ratty dark-colored stuff.

Mr. Sandman
05-04-2004, 03:29 PM
The boats are out there in force...I just assume the squid are here. I plan to head down to Egartown Dock some evening and see whats cooking. Squid fishing is more fun then looking at the the tube...
My kids think it is a hoot! Ink squirting everywhere. Those damn things look like they are from some other planet.

MakoMike
05-04-2004, 03:42 PM
Well,
Maybe if the weather is good and my new squid jigs show up we can give a try at the state pier this coming Friday night ?

ThrowingTimber
05-04-2004, 04:10 PM
Saturday night I can do got plans friday night Mike. Let me know how you make out, I need to stock up:D

fishweewee
05-04-2004, 05:23 PM
Bring an interpreter with you when you get to Goat Island. :hihi: :p

Spring time squidding there is a bit of a different proposition than Fall. The guys who do really well there bring their own light sources (Coleman lantern attached to a rope), get the light right on top of the water and get the jigs down fairly deep. This is not easy to do when it is crowded (as it usually is) and when the current is running through the causeway.

kynan
05-04-2004, 06:27 PM
Never tried it before....would charlestown breachway be good, or in a boat off Misquamicut?

goosefish
05-04-2004, 07:16 PM
Last year the run in Block Island Sound never really happened, could be different this year. The squid are coming in to spawn, so if you could rig your boat with flood lights then you may get some. Lights are very important. I'd think the breachway would be a waste of time. Little Narragansett Bay?

Crafty Angler
05-04-2004, 11:50 PM
Weewee is right on all counts - Yozuri jigs are possibly the best, used by the GI cognescenti - the Colemans are key.

A friend of mine is Greek - the last time we got fresh squid from GI, we came back to the house and he stuffed them with bread crumbs, feta cheese, fresh parsely and Greek oregano, breaded them and pan-fried them in butter. :drool:

Now that was my idea of something.

MakoMike
05-05-2004, 06:20 AM
TT,
I con't do saturday night, but if my jigs show up in time and someone else is willing to give a try I might do it on Friday night. If not, next weekend on Saturday, if I'm not completely shot from the trip to George's bank.

cheferson
05-05-2004, 07:54 AM
Mike if you have a lantern, id go FTER WORK ON FRIDAY night, i wont be done till around 10-11. I got the free parking permit to park anywhere on the island.:D

ThrowingTimber
05-05-2004, 07:54 AM
sounds like a fun time:D

MakoMike
05-05-2004, 09:34 AM
Cheferson,
Keep in touch, we'll see if my jigs come in. Don't worry about a lantern, I have the killer set up.

Bliz
05-06-2004, 11:24 AM
The Squiddies are in RI!...

cheferson
05-06-2004, 09:48 PM
Saw only 2 taken by about a hundred guys in about 35 minutes tonight. from 7-735.

KLMulder
05-08-2004, 09:58 AM
Went to Newport for Squid last night, not much comeing in. Also the state pier is closed to fishing, I was told that there was a big fight over the squid the night before and from now on they will have a guard in the parking lot to keep everyone out. :af: Again the actions of a few take away from all of us.:af:

redcrbbr
05-09-2004, 07:38 AM
do ya think if had the guard had been there to begin with the bs would have happened???

cheferson
05-09-2004, 08:20 AM
My friends boat is docked near the causeway. He had a boat load of scumbags, squidding from his boat. About 2am his friend thought it was him on his boat and went down to see how he was doing. There were four guys on his boat , fishing right off it. They went through all his stuff and got ink all over. His friend chucked two off the guys over the side into the water and physically held them there till the cops showed

cheferson
05-09-2004, 08:21 AM
I have a spot where there is tons of baby squid swiimming around in narragansett. If i got a lantern could i jig up some adults here too?

cheferson
05-09-2004, 10:38 AM
There were also all kinds of minnows and shrimp here. SOmething was chasing the bait around, making it jump outta the water and making splashes on the top from time to time. I tried a few lures but nada. Maybe herring?

RIROCKHOUND
05-09-2004, 11:42 AM
Shad :huh: ? but chances are it was bass and they just didnt like what you was throwin... :D had many many nights like that :(

macojoe
05-09-2004, 02:57 PM
I went to Hyannis last night and there were maybe 25 people there!!
Even a Asian family with a generator with work lights on the water!! and no squid for the hour or so I was there??
Does anyone have a confirmed place for the cape area??

Hooper
05-09-2004, 06:31 PM
I was told by a commercial guy that Osterville was the spot, but who the hell knows....he said there was a huge bunch that moved in this week.

I have always seen a lot of squid off of Great Island this time of year, by Pt Gammon.

Mr. Sandman
05-09-2004, 06:42 PM
It is a slow pick. I spoke to two comm guys with big boats tied at the dock and they said this year is very slow so far and they have not done much.
I walked along the dock...maybe 10 people fishing...saw 2 squid. I didn't even take my rod out of the car.
Give it another week or so.

macojoe
05-09-2004, 09:08 PM
Well I was down Hyannis again to day and they were getting some but not much the avrage person was there about 1 to 2 hours and going home with 6 to 10 squid!!

Went there tonigh and just got back and saw one swim by thats it for 1 hour!! Also saw a huge ell swiming around the ton of bait there with small bass jumping out the water grabing all the bait floating.

I think it is still to cold?? They were there better in the day which says to me they want the heat of the sun??

Your right maybe another week??