View Full Version : Best day last season

jsullivan
05-05-2004, 06:42 AM
what was the best day/eve anyone had last season?
area not exactly
baits
tides details
just trying to get some stories to warm me up!

bart
05-05-2004, 07:24 AM
best morning i had last season was at beavertail. my buddy and i caught about 15 fat keepers 30-36" from 6-9 on a clear sunny day. bait was stacked in and you could see some monsters in the breakers. it was strange too because they seemed to be right in front of us and nowhere else, because people casting around us didn't get into anything. best day ever in my short fishing career.

cheferson
05-05-2004, 07:42 AM
An all out blitz that started at 8 in the morning and ended around 8 pm. The peanut bunker was so thick , they were at the top gasping for air. I ve never seen so much bait. The blitz was from monahans all the way to narraganset beach. Just about all stripers, not many blues. Tons of 28-35+ inch fish. Got a fish just about every cast. All on pearl storm shads. I hooked into a monster that spooled me. I saw the metal on my spool and tightened the drag and she was gone, easily a 30+lb fish:af: :af: :af: :af: :af: :af: :af: :af: :af: . Ask eben about this day, he was there.

jsullivan
05-05-2004, 07:49 AM
mine was hardings 2 days carolina riggin berkly power worms beleive it or not all 36" to 42 " no fatties but twodays of action on outgoings perfect drifts great fish and just me and 2 friends fishing awsome all told I donno how many fish but I spent two days there without leaving.

bart
05-05-2004, 08:02 AM
i was there for that blitz as well. great day, even better night!!

Originally posted by cheferson
An all out blitz that started at 8 in the morning and ended around 8 pm. The peanut bunker was so thick , they were at the top gasping for air. I ve never seen so much bait. The blitz was from monahans all the way to narraganset beach. Just about all stripers, not many blues. Tons of 28-35+ inch fish. Got a fish just about every cast. All on pearl storm shads. I hooked into a monster that spooled me. I saw the metal on my spool and tightened the drag and she was gone, easily a 30+lb fish:af: :af: :af: :af: :af: :af: :af: :af: :af: . Ask eben about this day, he was there.

blackeye
05-05-2004, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by bart
i was there for that blitz as well. great day, even better night!!

uh huh:btu:
I love watching the gannets dive

one of my top three nites

Mr. Sandman
05-05-2004, 08:20 AM
The best day? ...don't fish the day:huh:

jugstah
05-05-2004, 08:21 AM
I've never had a great striper day/night. I've caught quite a few, but nothing like you guys described.

However, last season, fishing the west end of the canal, I did have a great 3 or 4 hours of bluefish fishing. By the end of that span of time, my arms were jello. Big blues. Hell of a fight every time I scored, and they were as big as my thighs, if not bigger.

Saltheart
05-05-2004, 08:27 AM
Best night from shore was at the canal. Had been there for about 5 hours and was ready to go home. We tried one more spot and hit them big. I got 6 fish all between 38 and 43 inches. These fish were heavy too. The biggest was 33 lbs but even the smaller fish at 38 inches were about 26 pounds. Anyway , just shows you that the time you put in is importatnt. Had we quit after the first 5 hours of slow fishing , we would have missed these big fish. Had plenty of nights with more fish last year but that night they were all big and that's what we are looking for.

Best boat night (only boat night) was on Mr Maceys Boat one night. He and Redcrabbr and I landed about 20 fish apiece. I think the smallest were about 34 and many many were 40 inches. It was fish till you arms got tired time. I'd have to say it was likely to be the best boat trip I will ever have in my life. Hard to imagine anything better.

Notaro
05-05-2004, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by jugstah
By the end of that span of time, my arms were jello. Big blues. Hell of a fight every time I scored, and they were as big as my thighs, if not bigger.

Damn, biateech, man.

Nebe
05-05-2004, 08:42 AM
One of my best days was when the bass has the bait trapped in the pocket at Indian Rock.. These bass were all 20lb and up fish and they were so tight in the pocket that you could have walked acros them. I was throwing a mad darter and a weightless queed cocohoe with a beefy 5/0 siwash through it and for the life of me i couldnt get a double, while I was catching fish on every cast. After I caught and released about 20 of these big keeper bass I decided I had enough and when I was tieing down my rod to the truck I noticed that my 5/0 VMC siwash had been straightened and thats why I had no doubles that day..

The next day I went there with Throwing TImber on my birthday and they were there agian! not in large numbers, but they were there and with my new hook i managed a double on the first cast.. one was 37 1/2 inches and the other was 35 inches..
The blitz that chef was talking about was a good one also.. I too lost monster. It straighted out all 3 of my trebbles after 3 strong runs.. I would have landed that fish if I hadn't clamped down my drag after the 3rd run...

This year is going to be better!

mrmacey
05-05-2004, 09:11 AM
I was waiting to see if that was a good night! For me it was the best ever I had a few more nights out there where we caught a few but nothing like that night heres a pic to show the size of the fish we caught that night. high tide, 14' of water, eels!!!:happy:

mrmacey
05-05-2004, 09:13 AM
Monsters!!!

Notaro
05-05-2004, 09:31 AM
Damn, Mr.Macy, look at those monster blues. What size and weight were they in? And how do they taste after you caught them, considering theri sizes?

Saltheart, what you said about the more time you put is important and I agree with you. I would stayt longer at one spot and move on another location. The first keeper quest I caugt in Rockport. I traveled from Gloucester to Rockport and it took me six hours to find a fish. I found one in Rockport. It was slow. The tide was high. I chummed sparingly with frozen and oily herrings. I dunked a head of it. It was nearly 7 PM and the sun was setting. The bass took the bait and peeled the line. I hooked it up. I reeled the bastard in. It gave a good fight. I just realized that you put a lot of time in your spot and it it doesn't succeed. Learn another day to be aware of it and know your gameplan in advance.

BasicPatrick
05-05-2004, 10:20 AM
Best Boat Day of 2003

Team ave Maria...Myself, ChubsDad & Captain Mike were in an ASA Pro tourney...We were in Cape Cod Bay with the fleet hammering fish up to 18 pounds...lots of em but only 18 pounds...after a few hours we make the gutsy call to move to another spot where there were no other boats...marking nothing on the sounder we decided to fish the spot anyway as the conditions were perrfect...Captain Mike was dozing...I was at the helm...Chubsdad had just reset the tangled wire...I was up...Bam...fish on...strong run, lots of head shaking...came up top 400 feet behind the boat....damn its a blue over 15#s...It took a second run and then a shorter third, still acting like a blue...about 100 feet of the stern she rolled..."Oh My god" said chubs & me at the same time...Capt. Mike said "I told ya it was a bass"...We saw a white coffee table in the water flared up in what was one of the most beautiful scenes I have ever seen...She hit the deck at 52" 44# 2oz...my second biggest Bass of my life...took second place...fishing with friends, trophy fish, adrenaline from the competition...I got goosebumps now

Best Shore Day of 2003...

During the MV Derby my Brother and I go to a famous MV spot and it is bright, sunny, and empty...not one soul...we start fishing and a school of bloooofish come down the beach and move right into the hole in front of us...non-stop action for over two hours...Just me and my brother, laughing, joking, goofing, hammering away on this school of blues...everythin worked...fly rod, plugs, tin...it did not matter...we had so much fun...the fish were only up to 7 pounds...it did not matter...the whole thing was about sharing the moment...doing what we do...

I would trade the first story for another of the second...I lovecompetition but my best days fishing are always linked to my loved ones and laughter

marky1
05-05-2004, 10:21 AM
Columbus Day week,West Beach..Beverly ,Ma.Sight casting to stripers in 2-3 ft. of water(flyfishing).Hooked into one ,could not stop or even turn it around"see ya" Caught more stripers..3 of them 30in.+ . Went to work with sore forearm...but happy! :happy: :happy: :happy:

The Dad Fisherman
05-05-2004, 10:28 AM
Hey....I was there that week..It was awesome. just standing in a "Mud" of peanut bunker. caught a bunch.....That's what got me addicted to this

fishaholic18
05-05-2004, 10:53 AM
Best day was last July at B.I. on boat with live eels, Got 8 big bass three were upper 30# range. Can't wait to do it again.

spinncognito
05-05-2004, 11:41 AM
Best day was in the middle of June last season. Fishing on a 90+ degree day near Lanes Cove with my 9 year old nephew. We were standing almost waist deep on a submerged rock and casting out into a narrow rip. Honestly thought it was way too hot to be productive but after about 35 minutes in the baking sun, a sizeable striper inhaled my herring chunk. Gave a decent battle before she slid up between me and the kid. Had to "swim her" back to the main rocks. 39" and I am guessing about 22#. Kid was very impressed and hounded me the rest of the season to take him fishing.

Spin

new jack
05-05-2004, 11:51 AM
for me it was a 2 days in a row. The week before thanksgiving I was fishing the east end of the canal first day, caught about 50 schoolies, bait was every where. Had the the whole area to my self until i saw a flyfisherman watching me. I invited down and we nailed schoolies for the two hours. between the two us we had to have caught about 100 fish.

the second day was the same thing just an hour later but this time i had it all to myself!!

a good way to end the season!!!

kphu
05-05-2004, 04:36 PM
canal on eel...didn't have anything to measure but it was sure heavy.

"Lou"
05-05-2004, 08:00 PM
My best day last year, ended up being my first time out. Out with my uncle on the South West corner of the block in around 40' of water. Trolling tube and worms, mine (right) went 42" and around 24 lbs. His was about the same size. What a way to start off last season.