View Full Version : XRA1205 questions

Patrick
07-18-2001, 10:37 PM
Things have changed yet again. It turns out, I can buildfishing rods. I brought up an arguement, "Why should I get a job if I can't spend the money how I like?". My parents, being reasonable, saw things my way. They are pretty cool for people in their 50s, I must admit. Probably the best parents around even though they can be PITAs at times.

I originally looked past the XRA1205 blank because it's so expensive but then I saw the effective range of the blank.

As it turns out, if the blank is as effective as Lamiglas says it is, I could actually wind up saving money in the long run.

Think about it, I'd only have to make one rod. That saves me money on guides, thread, epoxy, cork tape, my time, time using my drying rack, the other reel, the line, the maintenance. Yadda yadda yadda.

So what are the true limitations of this blank? I'm trying to get this blank to very light heaver action(1-3 oz sinkers and sandworms), handle eels, medium and large plugs, and jigs up to 4 oz. In that order.

Thanks

Slipknot
07-19-2001, 07:57 AM
Those weights sound fine for that blank. I only have one conv. rod and that is the one. I chose it after John wrote that it is the most versitle blank they have 1 - 5 1/2 oz. and I am comfortable with 10" rods. If I ever get another conv. it will be the All star 1209 because I jig the ditch alot. I think the few , if any, times you ever fish the ditch Patrick the 1205 will suit you fine. Sure other blanks will toss plugs better and others will toss eels better and others will toss jigs better, but not much better. That rod sends a 4 1/2 oz megabait jig halfway across the canal with ease.

So post a picture of it when you're done.

JohnR
07-19-2001, 08:37 AM
The 1205 is pretty much what Slip said. Loads well enough with decent eels (the light end) up to big jigs. Not a big Heaver in my mind though. Not an 8-n-bait for Pennfield but pretty versatile for a big stick... It's a good rod that can be pretty versatile for many conditions: eels, mid to big plugs, 2-4oz + bait...

I brought up an arguement, "Why should I get a job if I can't spend the money how I like?" Rubbish!!! You get a job so you can contribute to yourself, your folks, and then, at some point, society. You get a job now, even though it doesn't pay great, to get experience and to be a foundation for when you advance and get better jobs. You get a job now so you can finance part of your, uh fishing desires. You get a job now so you can save some dough or give some to the 'rents. If you're not working. You should at least be going to college or taking a course in the trades or technical fields. But if you are shying away from a job now because all the jobs you currently qualify for are not adequate to support your current "needs" - how are you going to fair when your folks boot you out of the house and you need to pay rent or a mortgage, feed yourself and whatever family or pets you accumulate along the way?

Grow a set and get a job... Don't use your folks, fears, or "issues" as a friekin' crutch, OK?

Jaiem
07-19-2001, 11:40 AM
Patrick (07-18-2001 23:37):
"Why should I get a job if I can't spend the money how I like?". My parents, being reasonable, saw things my way.

If you're parents want you to contribute a share of your pay to the running of the household, while you're under thier roof they won't get any argument from me. If you're saying they want to take all your pay, well I won't try to second guess Mr.&Mrs. Patrick's reasoning. That's between you and them.

I agree with John. Your first job or couple of jobs is never a great job or a great paying job. Forget about anything you've read about 20 y/o getting $80k jobs at dot-coms. That wasn't reality. Your first job(s) teaches you the "ropes" of working - getting to work on time, dealing with managers and co-workers, maybe dealing with customers depending on what the job is, handling earning money (budgeting, work expenses, taxes etc), dealing with the unknown of the work day, etc etc.

Work is much different than being in school. It can be a great shock to many when they get out of school and start to work. Some take years to get over it. Better to start sooner than later.

Fishpart
07-19-2001, 12:13 PM
Here Here!!

Patrick, I agree the first job is a tough but necessary step. The things I hope I get when I hire someone is that they can show up on time and get along with their coworkers, we can teach thme anything else. A first job is where it all starts, demonstrate your value and you'll be surprised where it takes you.

Patrick
07-19-2001, 06:10 PM
Hey, I didn't say my arguement was right, it just guilted them enough. :). Don't tell me when you guys were younger, you didn't at least try to manipulate your parents or guardians. I've tried to get them to let me buy a bunch of things. A highspeed pellet gun, a model 700 remington, a speargun, a bow and arrow, and a pierced tongue. Nay on all of them. They don't see the harm on the rod building thing though.

I'll have the job, don't worry about that.

Mike P
07-19-2001, 09:08 PM
Well, yeah, when you set the bar that high to begin with, a freakin' Trans Am might sound reasonable to them. Lethal weapons wouldn't be my first choice of objects I'd feel comfortable in you having, if I was you father. I'd rethink the pierced tongue, too, if you want to stick with the macho see-gar chomper image, LOL. Those little bits of tobacco that the stud will rip from the butt will get caught in yer teeth and turn off the hotties.

JohnR
07-20-2001, 07:23 AM
hehehehe....

Ya know Patrick, after a couple jobs when you start to make a manageable wage, you can have your own place and all of the little Daisy BB guns you want (or afford). Pierce your tounge, sew your knees together, build a Big-Foot Isuzu Amigo, or whatever. The possibilities are endless... Ahh, on second thought, you, umm , maybe wat to stay at home....just kidding.

Seriously - you WILL be the master of your domain as you will be responsible for yourself...

Patrick
07-20-2001, 12:40 PM
ha ha.

I don't even want the guns for hunting except for the speargun. I'm very interested in marksmanship. People hitting targets from a hundred+ yards away. The skill involved. Compensating for drop and wind. It's amazing when you think about it. You really have to give the snipers who do it under high pressure with a hostage a foot away their props.

The speargun thing is similar in the practice and control it takes to dive and hunt.

The pierced tongue is never going to happen. You should listen to some of the stuff that can happen. Biting on the stud and breaking a tooth. The stud coming undone and choking on it. Infection. Nicking one of the two veins in your tongue and losing it. No thanks.

I'll wait until I leave this house before I get the stuff.