View Full Version : Bullseye Zinseer Blue

BigFish
05-08-2004, 03:31 PM
Just put a coat on a plug to try it before I do the rest of the batch....(figure if something goes wrong or I don't like it, the whole batch won't be ruined). Anyway, my question is, it goes on kind of thick. I know some of you hit it with a light scuff of 320 grit but do you give it more than one coat or usually one coat is enough? :confused: Just worried about when I paint, I want a nice smooth finish but I suppose after a couple coats of paint, any primer lines will fill in anyway am I correct?:huh:

Tagger
05-08-2004, 05:14 PM
I been using this stuff right along for primer .. never a bleed problem ... I always spray them but have been eyeing the gallon can and try dipping ..Spraying is smelly in the house ,I think its just the propellants that stink .. Anyone ever dip em..

RIROCKHOUND
05-08-2004, 05:17 PM
I dip and dry BIN... takes longer, but it puts a nice thick coat on em... and havent had a drying problem, just takes 45min instaed of 20ish when I spray em... I generally wait 24hrs anyways

BigFish
05-08-2004, 05:43 PM
I sealed with Boiled linseed oil and mineral spirits, a 60/40 mix (do you guys use this also? I let the primer dry for 2 hours and when I tried to scuff/sand....it seemed to be lifting! Did I do something wrong???:confused:

RIRockhound....do you seal yours before you dip in the Bin blue?

MAC
05-08-2004, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by BigFish
I sealed with Boiled linseed oil and mineral spirits, a 60/40 mix (do you guys use this also? I let the primer dry for 2 hours and when I tried to scuff/sand....it seemed to be lifting! Did I do something wrong???:confused:

How long did you let the sealer dry....... Boiled linseed takes a long time. Did you sand between the oil and the primer? Plus you should let the primer set over night. Don't believe the back of the can.

BigFish
05-08-2004, 05:57 PM
I sealed them on Thursday morning so it had over 48 hours to dry, (might have even done them Wednesday morning)?

I did not sand between sealer and primer.:eek: Should I have and with what grit?:confused:

Thanks guys.;)

MAC
05-08-2004, 06:06 PM
By sanding between sealer and primer it will tell you if the sealer is dry.....

BigFish
05-08-2004, 06:17 PM
I only dipped it (submerged it) for 20 seconds, I would think it would be dry in 48-72 hours? They look dry.:huh:

Newell Guy, do you use boiled linseed oil and mineral spririts? If so how long do you generally let them dry for?;)

capesams
05-08-2004, 07:12 PM

BigFish
05-08-2004, 07:24 PM
Someone had posted on a previous thread to submerge for 20 seconds.....Capesams, I saw you posted on that same thread that you soak them for 24 hours I believe? Those must take forever to dry. I only soaked mine for 20 seconds and they are not dry after 3 days!:eek: I want to fish them this season, if I soak them for too long it will take weeks for them to dry.:( Should I soak em' again for longer?

justplugit
05-08-2004, 07:57 PM
Big Fish,
I dipped like CS said with an alykd primer[Ben Moore Fresh Start] for about 1/2 min then ran wet pipe cleaner thru wire hole to get full seal ,think it was Tagger or Jigman's idea. Then i brushed off excess with foam brush.
Next day prime again with foam brush and let dry a week before finish. Came out doing it that way from all the guys ideas here.

Tagger, your homework came out more even and smooth than dipping.:)

BigFish
05-08-2004, 09:02 PM
Was that after you sealed with boiled linseed oil? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

justplugit
05-08-2004, 09:14 PM
BF,
No, i use mostly red cedar of which i understand has alot of oils in it so just needs a good oil based primer. Might be wrong but i think ayc can be just primed also.
Check with Slip or CS as they can tell you for sure:)

BigFish
05-08-2004, 09:17 PM
Help!!! Anyone who uses the boiled linseed oil/mineral spirits method, could you please advise as to my next step! Should I simply let these dry longer and proceed with the Zinseer Bullseye or try another primer brand?:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

BigFish to tower....ahhh....we are having equipment failure and need someone to talk me in........roger!:)

capesams
05-08-2004, 09:23 PM

justplugit
05-08-2004, 09:31 PM
Thanks CS for clearing it up!:) you da man!:) Believe it or not the red cedar i got to turn is over 40 yrs old thu a friend that owns a lumber yard. His family owned it for over 50 years and he said it's been there as long as he can remember! Hope he's right!]THANKS.

BigFish
05-08-2004, 09:32 PM
Not trying to rush CS, just trying to do it right. I don't care how long it takes. I just don't want to move forward and screw these up as I have quite a bit of time into them. So, I guess I will let dry for a few more days and try to prime then? Sometimes it can get confusing with so much great input, I have done my best to sort it out and pay close attention. Thanks for all the help folks.:D

spence
05-08-2004, 10:15 PM
Been using waterlox for a sealer and the problem is that is dries so fast it can skin up and make pockets of wet sealer that get burst when you wire the plug. Drier is better...

-spence

BasicPatrick
05-09-2004, 01:17 AM
bigfish, here is another thought from me...you are using the blue can...that is a water based primer. If you read back through this thread...everyone is using an alkyd or oil based primer. Reading this might comfirm my thought that the primer is not bonding to the oil sealer that you made up, ,especially if your sealer is not dry.

Use zinzer BIN in the red can, Zinnzer cover Stain in the Gold label, Ben Moore Fresh Start (Alkyd based) etc.

Karl F
05-09-2004, 08:01 AM
BP you got it.

oil over oil over oil

just used the search feature in this forum, and that is the formula

and let them dry in a warm room for a week after the sealer bath, (give 'em a soak) that way yer sure they are dry

capesams
05-09-2004, 08:08 AM

BigFish
05-09-2004, 08:49 AM
Many of you guys said "Blue" can only......:confused:

MAC
05-09-2004, 11:35 AM
Blue 3 in 1 for reel bearings....

Slingah
05-09-2004, 12:25 PM
bin 123 blue-latex
cover stain(gold)-oil
bin(red)-alcohol shellac

Jigman
05-09-2004, 06:22 PM
CS is right, a 20 second dip into the boiled linseed/mineral spirits does not sink in deep, at least on AYC. I cut a blank open the other day just to see for myself. Goes a little below the surface. If I were using birch, or other wood that needed better sealing than AYC, I would certainly dip them longer.

So how long does it take for the blanks to dry if you soak them overnight?

Jigman

BigFish
05-09-2004, 06:33 PM
Jigman, it was you who recommended 20 seconds on an earlier thread. Will I be able to use Krylon spray over the boiled linseed oil???? I hope so.

new jack
05-09-2004, 06:42 PM
you can put water based paint over oil, but you can't put oil based over water base.

capesams
05-09-2004, 07:58 PM

BigFish
05-09-2004, 07:59 PM
Thanks CS, you da man!;)