View Full Version : Ready to Launch (I think!)

Jim H
05-08-2004, 05:19 PM
OK.....one week left before the Marina opens (Yankee Landing in Newburyport).....

1st time I'll be docking a boat for the season. I used to trailer the ole 18 footer. Now I've moved up to the 24' Wellcraft Coastal WalkAround....

I've finished the bottom paint. Charged both batteries. Already ran the motor (during the sea trial). Full tank of gas an oil for the Yamaha 200hp.

Have all the safety gear. Two bumpers with plenty of lines to tie off bow, stern, and spring lines. DRAIN PLUG IS IN. Have double checked all the waterlines, fittings, pumps, etc. Washed and waxed it last weekend. Tool kit is on board.

OK...

What am I forgetting??? You guys are the pros......I mean, I will definately have to practive the whole docking routine. SLOW.....lines ready....etc.

but

What are some other things I have to make sure I have or things I need to do before I put her in next weekend. I have this fear of getting it in the water and realizing I forgot to {fill in the blank}.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Jim

Vectorfisher
05-08-2004, 06:54 PM
Make sure your radio and electronics all work, also make sure you have an anchor, last but not least go have some fun!

Van
05-08-2004, 06:59 PM
You say the bildge pump is working how about the float switch? (got a spare pump for emergencies?)

Get a third bumper (i use 3 on my 20') also good in case one is lost.

For safety and in case your boarded.
Flare kit.(check expiration dates)
working horn
jackets (duh)
At least one throwable is required also.
Fire extinguisher.

Years of boating, and I still have trouble at docking, PIA and if windy GEZZZ......

Good Luck.
V.

OH yea,,,,consider sea tow.....great peace of mind....

Raider Ronnie
05-08-2004, 07:05 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Van
[B]You say the bildge pump is working how about the float switch? (got a spare pump for emergencies?)

Get a third bumper (i use 3 on my 20') also good in case one is lost.

For safety and in case your boarded.
Flare kit.(check expiration dates)
working horn
jackets (duh)
At least one throwable is required also.
Fire extinguisher.

:laughs: :laughs: :laughs:
I heard something about him docking Van!!!

Goose
05-08-2004, 08:51 PM
Gold Card, don't leave home without it.:D....or you ain't leavin dock

RIROCKHOUND
05-08-2004, 09:27 PM
Learn how to use your spring line!!!!!
Set it up on a mid-ship cleat and leave it on the dock with a loop... when you come in to the dock, get the spring line on... as you come along the dock, (slowly) slip the loop over your cleat (if you have one mid ship... if the cleat is near your helm, it makes life much easier....
once thats on you can keep the boat tight to the dock with the engine idling ahead... if you tie stbd side to, get the spring line on, put the wheel to the right, stern comes in, put the stern line on, wheel amidship, or slight to the left, bow comes in... easy as 1.2.3.

Van
05-08-2004, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by Raider Ron
[

:laughs: :laughs: :laughs:
I heard something about him docking Van!!! [/B]

It could be heard for miles ;)
So could my yelling :rolleyes:

thefishingfreak
05-09-2004, 01:33 PM
a free coasty inspection never hurts.

get a serious first aid kit, and a set of beefy bolt cutters to cut hooks lodged into body parts.
battery booster pack never hurts, there cheap enough.
tool box.duct tape, zip ties,bungees, etc...

tow boat us-seatow "unlimited" card.

a little docking advise,,,,if your going to hit someone,
hit 'em really slow...