View Full Version : Sea Sickness?

partsjay
05-09-2004, 04:16 PM
Does anyone know if those wristband things work, the ones that look like a watch? unfortunately I just can't shake it no matter how much I go out. I use Dremamine with some success but was curious about any other methods...Thanks

Vectorfisher
05-09-2004, 04:19 PM
I cannot comment first hand but my Mother wears them on there boat with results, I dont think she has stopped taking Dramamine but she is not sick either.

fishweewee
05-09-2004, 07:14 PM
http://www.transdermscop.com

thefishingfreak
05-09-2004, 08:11 PM
beer works!:D

never been sick,, but i have heard great things about the drops you put behind your ear.
my buddy loads up on dramamine the night before heading offshore,then every four hours or so. but he says it makes you drowzy:o he also stays away from coffee before going out, maybey that why he's drowzy?
seems to work for him though.

Notaro
05-09-2004, 08:39 PM
Bring a lot of cold or warm ginger ale. Take a dramine before you go. NO BEERS!

angler management
05-10-2004, 12:02 PM
I agree with Notaro

I get SICK! Never did before, but since I bought my own boat, I get sick every other time out.

Not anymore! I take dramine 1 hour prior, and one more if I am out for a long time.

I also bring ginger ale.

I find drinking lots helps! Water that is!
When I feel bad, I will add ginger ale.

Had no problems since.

(Unless it's realy rough out there)

Then it never hurts to chum a little.
It amuses the guests on the boat.

:( :(

Ron in Maine
05-10-2004, 07:41 PM
I did submarines for years in the navy. I never got sick on my first one, then after being away for a few years, first trip out, sicker than a dog. From that day on, every time we would be scheduled to pull in or head out, I took a dramamine.
Subs roll a lot more than boats do, and I still take one before heading out in my boat now. I recently bought those wrist straps, they seem to work. But since the creation of less drowsy dramamine, I see no reason to change the routine of taking one pill one hour before getting underway.
And sooner or later, everyone gets sick... degrees of sickness vary, but the rule does not. If you head out, sooner or later, everyone gets sick. :D

likwid
05-11-2004, 10:07 AM
Spent alot of time on race boats and whatnot, everyone indeed does get sick, spend enough time on boats/offshore you only really get sick when all hell breaks loose.

But atleast at that point you can just lean over the leeward rail and get your face washed when puking :D

Mr. Sandman
05-13-2004, 10:59 AM
Get the patch! I have only been seasick 3x in my life and most of that (I think) was caused from watching others puke, the other time was working on a pump problem in a bilge in heavy seas.

I know a lot of sailors that use that patch behind the ear, the drug is absorbed thru the skin. You feel a little funky but you don't puke.

That seasick feeling is really nasty...see a doctor I think you need a perscription for these.

When I feel a little queezy (generally hot days with diesel fumes wafting into the cockpit) I :

1) Get up on the bridge and get some fresh air
2) Eat a tuna on toast sandwich
3) Have a cold pepsi
4) Look at the horizon

You want to:
Get out of closed spaces (cabins, bilges ect)
Don't drink booze or beer
Don't Breath bad stuff
Position yourself on the boat in the place of least motion (near amidships)

good luck

arctekmarine
05-21-2004, 04:14 PM
hi, my freind uses bonine, and seems to feel ok.......or ginger snaps/gingerale........jim:laughs:

maddog2020
05-22-2004, 08:25 AM
In the past two yrs for whatever reason I've been getting sea sick. :( I use to be able to go out and get bounced around and I would just laugh and fish while everyone else was puking. The chain effect of seeing one person puke and then all of sudden it sets a chain reaction..... its a nasty site.

I totally agree w/ sandman's comments about the smell of the fuel: diesel or 2 cycle. Open air and sipping on ginger ale helps.

I've tried the pressure point wrist sweat bands (Sea-Band), Dramamine & Bomine. If its a small craft only the pills help. Last time out on my buddies small 16' runabout and fishing a shoal we get bounced around good and the smell of 2 cycle is STRONG - I puke after being out about 30 minutes. Nothing WORSE than the dry heaves! :( I keep fishing between the nausea ..... lol. I learned to eat light the night before and may be just some bread & Diet Coke in early morning.

Problem with the Dramamine is that is makes me SLEEPY. When we are motoring between spots I lie down horizontal, prop up my legs and fall asleep. I do whatever it takes to get me thru the day. I won't stop fishing from a boat - I love jiggin for cod in deep water. :D

I'm gonna look into the patches and the other suggestions. Thanks for the ideas. :)

pete santini
05-22-2004, 07:31 PM
this is the only stuff that will stop seasickness after it starts a drop behind each ear is all it takes. price is$17,95 and you get 40 applications