View Full Version : I HATE myself!

Notaro
05-09-2004, 07:24 PM
I bloody hate myself for losing some parts of my abu. Some of the gear plates and rings are missing. Just one little tilt, it scatters into the four corners of the room. Now, I have to go to Bucko's this week for that chit! What did I do so wrong?

JohnR
05-09-2004, 07:36 PM
What were you doing?

Christian
05-09-2004, 07:43 PM
when ever i take mine apart,
kitchen table, WHITE paper towls to stop things from rolling and you can see little parts better and just convenient for cleaning. never standing, always sitting. dont engage the reel with it still open. :) good luck

jugstah
05-09-2004, 08:30 PM
Notaro, lay off the booze, you're too young to be drinking and disassembling reels.

Notaro
05-09-2004, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by jugstah
Notaro, lay off the booze, you're too young to be drinking and disassembling reels.

How did you know I was drinking on my mother's day? ;)

JohnR, I was trying to do a maintainence on my abu reel after using it yesterday at Falmouth. I was disassembling it to make myself familiar with the reel and its parts. Apparently, it's all messed up.

Christian, engage the reel? Thanks for the tips.

tattoobob
05-09-2004, 09:09 PM
sorry man i hate when that happens

bob

Christian
05-09-2004, 09:13 PM
engage the reel,
like while the reel is still open, dont press the free spool button and then turn the handle and click it into gear. there are springy pieces involved and you dont want those flying around.

Notaro
05-09-2004, 09:15 PM
i did...

tlapinski
05-10-2004, 06:28 AM
Notaro, do you have a good blown up parts diagram for the reel? if you need any help with it, check in the FAQ forum. i posted a link a while back to a site that has diagrams of most reels on the market. if you can't find it, let me know which abu you have and i'll find you the link. i think most people that have pulled a reel apart have lost parts at one time or another. at least you were not on the beach in the middle of a blitz when it happened! i had a 6500 abu that needed some attention one night. when i was taking it apart, i dropped it in the sand and did more damage than i started with. now i make sure i have spair reels in waiting at all times.

striprman
05-10-2004, 06:37 AM
Get out your broom and sweep the entire floor, corners, cracks and crevaces. Then, check the dust pile. You might find all the missing parts. If it isn't broken, don't try to "fix" it.

The Dad Fisherman
05-10-2004, 06:43 AM
Next time take an old gift box (the kind that you get that really ugly sweater from your aunt in) and disassemble it in that. It keeps all of the parts in one area. also keep an old top from a spray can there to put the real small pieces in.

fishweewee
05-10-2004, 06:59 AM
You live and learn. You'll get the hang of it eventually, Joseph.

I didn't start disassembling and cleaning my own reels until a few years after I started saltwater fishing. Boy, what a mess. :hihi:

Saltheart
05-10-2004, 08:15 AM
I do mine on a cookie sheet or cake pan. Something flat but with a rim around the edges.

If it sprung apart while open , the pan wouldn't have helped.

I think the idea of sweeping up and looking through the dust is good. every single part will cost you so if you can find even a few it will save you money.

Bass Dude
05-10-2004, 10:22 PM
heh.......

STEVE IN MASS
05-11-2004, 06:29 AM
Finding lost small parts.....

If you hace a vacuum with a hose, get a pair of old nylon pantyhose. Cover the end of the vacuum hose loosely with the nylons, and then vacuum the entire area. The parts will get caught up in the nylons at the end of the vacuum hose......

Notaro
05-11-2004, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by STEVE IN MASS
Finding lost small parts.....

If you hace a vacuum with a hose, get a pair of old nylon pantyhose. Cover the end of the vacuum hose loosely with the nylons, and then vacuum the entire area. The parts will get caught up in the nylons at the end of the vacuum hose......
Interesting trick, Steve, but my mom won't like it when I borrow her pantyhose. She is going to give me another lecture about me disrespecting her undergarment. :laughs:

Notaro
05-11-2004, 04:21 PM
And I am planning to see Bucko and ask him to fix it for me and add some parts that is missing. Does he do maintainence? And also I can't believe that I did it in a cramped space.

The Dad Fisherman
05-12-2004, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by Notaro
Interesting trick, Steve, but my mom won't like it when I borrow her pantyhose. She is going to give me another lecture about me disrespecting her undergarment. :laughs:

ANOTHER Lecture...you've abused her under garments before :confused: :confused: :D

Notaro
05-12-2004, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by The Dad Fisherman
ANOTHER Lecture...you've abused her under garments before :confused: :confused: :D
I did. I was eight and I dressed like a woman to piss my mom and her sisters off. Then I got a bad punishment...:rolleyes:

The Dad Fisherman
05-12-2004, 10:35 AM
You know...I was just asking to be a Wise A$$.......But now i'm frightened :D :D

RIROCKHOUND
05-12-2004, 10:42 AM
Joe... certain things you keep to yourself man... :D:D:D

Notaro
05-12-2004, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by RIROCKHOUND
Joe... certain things you keep to yourself man... :D:D:D
I ain't gonna go further, bryon.;)