View Full Version : Got a few this morning

Rappin Mikey
05-11-2004, 09:14 AM
here's the biggest 33" 12 1/2#. Fought like a champ. Released successfully.

missing link
05-11-2004, 09:22 AM
nice!

tlapinski
05-11-2004, 10:14 AM
RM, clean your box out!

Rappin Mikey
05-11-2004, 10:49 AM
Done

ReelChitty
05-11-2004, 11:20 PM
Nice fish mike. Did you get that on your favorite soft plastic or did it take a plug?

Rappin Mikey
05-12-2004, 07:05 AM
Home town favorite of course.

Krispy
05-12-2004, 11:25 AM
a 51"er was taken on the Housy, right in front of my house on Friday :fishslap: I need to get started out there

Notaro
05-12-2004, 11:41 AM
sweet, mike.

MakoMike
05-13-2004, 07:27 AM
Probably a waste of time and fish releasing that one. You hang a fish up like that its 99% certain that its gonna die.

Rappin Mikey
05-13-2004, 11:20 AM
I think your percentage is way off dude. That fish took off without a problem. I've heard other people make this speculation before too. Where are you guys getting your data? Are people following their fish after they weigh and release them? So, if your fishing in very strong current, and you really got to fight the current to get the fish in, (which I know puts more stress on a fish then weighing him) you might as well keep em all because they are going to die? I'm sorry, but I just don't buy this theory. In fact, all you fish hippies are starting to tick me off. If you all are so worried about being gentle to fish, stop using hooks. If somebody can produce some hard facts, data that states that 99% of fish that are weighed die, for that matter, show me something that says even 10% of fish that are weighed and released die, I will surely stop weighing my fish. I also will apologize for my brutality. Until then please don't just make up numbers, unless of course you have something to back it up with, then I apologize. Thank you-Bomba

Rappin Mikey
05-13-2004, 12:07 PM
Alright, I guess the fish hippie comment was a little harsh. I don't want anybody to get the wrong idea, I want to to be catching these fish for years to come myself, and I know propper handling will ensure conservation. I'm just very tired from no sleep and to much fishing. After thinking about it, my point about putting more stress on a fish during the fight then during the weigh I think is valid. However, I do agree that weighing a fish does add extra stress. This would definitely decrease the chance of survival. I still think Mako Mike's % is totally fabricated and exaggerated:D and would still like to see where he is getting his data. But I think I will start only weighing fish I will keep. I hope I didn't offend anyone. It is called grumpy sleepy Mikey syndrome. I think everyone has been there one time or another. :smash:

angler management
05-13-2004, 12:55 PM
Good come back,

I always speak without thinking.
Good man for Apologizing!

I would also agree what harm is done in the weight time? I gess if you do it best (if you must use hooks) you should release the fish without ever taking it out of the water.

If the fish was strong after getting him in, then I don't think it is that bad to stop and weight it.

No worse than holding it for a picture.
No worse than putting your hands all over them.
No worse than a deep net curving the fish.
No worse than laying it on the ground to measure.

I think we need a study! I Volunteer! I will catch and weight some, and not others. Then live with the fish to see what ones do better!

Catch and let live! (but have fun doing it)

I only check ones I think are good,, small ones I just guess,, adding a pound or two to make sure I got it right.

How can we brag how big ours was without weight? length?

Rappin Mikey
05-13-2004, 01:11 PM
Thanks for the support man. I also like the idea of your longitudinal study:D

Mike P
05-13-2004, 01:20 PM
The best thing to do is use a Boga Grip or a Lock&Weigh. Use the lip-grabber while the fish is in the water, lift it clear and get the weight from the built in scale. The fish is out of the water for less than 10 secs.

Pictures. If you're by yourself you manage as best you can, but if you're with someone else they can ready the camera while you're playing the fish and snap a shot as it's hanging off the Boga.

You don't want to leave a big fish hanging on end like that for too long, because the internal organs aren't supported and they can suffer damage. Probably not as big a deal with a teen fish.

RIROCKHOUND
05-13-2004, 01:49 PM
SWS had an article recently about cradling the fish instrad of lipping them to prevent damage to internal organs...
My solution... only catch big fish and eat them....

Mr. Sandman
05-13-2004, 03:31 PM
As fish go...SB is pretty hearty. I don't think there is a lot of evidence to show that picking up a bass by the jaw or gill plate will kill it.
In the FW scene you see guys really crank on the jaw and they have been releasing fish that way for years.
Yes, the SB is larger, but IMO the best way to pull a fish from the water is via its jaw. The fish is pretty rugged. Holding it will not kill it.
Lets look at the FACTS we do know. We know that about 8% total of fish die that are captured and released. How do you think they are captured? Most of the time by the jaw or gill plate. Moreover, out of the 8% that do die, most die from a deep J hook that was poorly removed or infection.

Let me ask you this question...what percentage of the 2 million # SB "by catch" (that doesn't exsist but is know about) on trawlers lives after they get a suntan on the deck then shoveled over the side?

RI Popper
05-13-2004, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by RIROCKHOUND
SWS had an article recently about cradling the fish instrad of lipping them to prevent damage to internal organs...
My solution... only catch big fish and eat them....

Hey Oak, I like your idea, just eat them then you dont' have to worry about reviving them :) ;)

mooncusser
05-14-2004, 09:53 AM
Here's another article that explains why it's bad to hang/hold a fish by its jaw or head.

http://www.sportfishingmag.com/article.jsp?ID=9952

angler management
05-14-2004, 10:17 AM
Ok, I love fishing and all,,

But "REVIVING THEM"

I'm not sure about that?

But hell for the fun of fishing I'll do it!

Pucker up Mr. Striped Bass!

Here comes the Mouth to Mouth!
:love:

The Dad Fisherman
05-14-2004, 10:45 AM
No Tongues :D