View Full Version : Uncle Matts Maiden Voyage

Bob Thomas
05-12-2004, 09:25 AM
Uncle Matt asked me to post about our maiden voyage so here goes.

Spoke with Uncle Matt around 0400 on Tuesday morning and he said he was on the way from worcester. I met him at the Bourne Ramp at 0530 and we started to rig the new 23 foot Parker Center Console up. Man alive, that beast is big.

As we were rigging up I learned one valuable lesson. Don't just hop off the side to get outta da boat. It's a long way down!! :smash:

Rigged up and we launched her at around 0600. We made our way out into the bay looking around and playing with electronics. She handled nice so far and we weren't sinking. Things looked good.

Cut into the channel and hit some heavy chop, around 3-4 feet. Put her to the test in it and she passed with flying colors. A little bumpy but fine.

Outta the channel, we made our way into the Wareham area. Messed around with some jigging and umbrella rigs just for fun and to put hours on. No hits and no runs.

After Wareham, we cut accross with intentions of checking out Woods Hole. Nice run up there but the chop was beginning to pick up a little. As we neared the Hole, we decided that we didn't want to chance the pass and opted to not sink the boat. We headed back for the canal.

Made it to the Canal around 11 or so and started the long journey through, just to check things out. 10 miles per hour through there made for a long trip, around an hour. Checked out some holes, looked at the eye candy. Only about 10 or so people fishing with 3 at the run itself.

Made it through the canal and opened her up in the bay. 110 gallons of fuel, 2 morons driving and misc gear, she ran at a steady 43 mph and smooth. Then back through the canal and for home.

Made it back to the ramp around 1400 or so and we pulled her out.

The Parker is right at the break in period and she handled beautifully. Great day on the water, beautiful weather, lots of sun (i'm burnt) and pleasure to get out there.

Side note: Is the Canal 10 MPH for everyone or just ships? I see people racing through there at full throttle every day. Opting not to be arrested the first trip, we stayed at 10 mph and got passed twice.

Thanks

quick decision
05-12-2004, 10:06 AM
There is radar on the canal so dont do anything stupid. I just usualy keep up with the other boats so I dont get run over. Did you mark any fish on your fishfinder in the canal, or I guess anywhere?

Bob Thomas
05-12-2004, 11:49 AM
Quick,

So the 10 mph is for all the boats then?

We marked little pods of baitfish, I guess. Water was 51 at the ramp, 58 in some of the river areas and 53 at the West end of the Canal. The run was 49 and the East end was 45. Real weird out there. Crystal clear water.

Birds breaking in shallows but no hook ups. Not sure what kinda bait it was but it was small.

GBOUTDOORS
05-12-2004, 01:41 PM
Glad to hear that all whent well:) that is a sweet ride he bought and should handle anything that comes his way in B BAY. Now you guys need to get some fish smell on her and it will be complete:D :D

Bob Thomas
05-12-2004, 02:17 PM
Fish smell? He smells, does that count? ;)

Only problem with the boat is the trailering. 60+ miles each way stinks!!

He's looking to store it down the Cape somewhere but it doesn't look promising. Most places are booked solid.

Anyone have any ideas???

bassmaster
05-12-2004, 02:56 PM
Bob I know stuff, call me

angler management
05-13-2004, 09:40 AM
No Ideas on places to store it, but I can relate

I trailer about 55 miles each way. I have it down now.
22' boat
It's not that bad. Just looks bad when I figure it's 2 to 2 1/2 hours from my start in the morning to fishing time.

That will be less, when I start fishing inshore. Currently I keep running for Jefferys ledge (Off NH)

ScottB
05-13-2004, 10:11 AM
Bob, sent you a PM.

Scott B.

Uncle Matt
05-14-2004, 05:00 PM
Thanks Scottb for the heads up. My boat now has a new home for the season. Thanks again.