View Full Version : Mouth of the Merrimack River..

Strike_King
05-15-2004, 07:14 PM

Vectorfisher
05-15-2004, 07:48 PM
It's pretty sad when things like this happen fortunately they all made out OK, I see way too many people show zero respect for the ocean can't tell you how many times I have seen a 14-16' aluminum boat out in Buzzards Bay loaded with people and way to far offshore to be remotely safe and yet the Coast Guard always seems to board my 24'er to check my safety gear:rolleyes: I also think Boston Whalers unsinkable advertising gives people a false sense of security almost a cockiness, maybe they should rethink there advertising strategies

Vectorfisher
05-15-2004, 08:22 PM
Isnt that where his slip was?? Thats what I call high and dry! He gets the dumb a$$ of the year award.

Fly Rod
05-16-2004, 07:33 AM
:) I guess that he believes that you have to be on the rocks to catch stripers!!!!;) :cool:

Good N You
05-17-2004, 09:55 AM
" I couldn't believe a boat of this size could flip so easily" Like it was a 28 footer or something. Im sure the guy was an inexperienced boater with his new whaler. It wont sink, but it will flip. They were lucky to be found.

Jim H
05-17-2004, 10:19 AM
"I guess the word to the wise is always be afraid of that river," he said.

I don't think afraid is the right word.....RESPECT....utmost RESPECT for the water - not just the Merrimack.

angler management
05-17-2004, 11:31 AM
Thanks for this clip, I had not heard this one.

I was out of that harbor a lot as a kid, and that's the one thing that sticks in my mind. Comeing back in when the changing tide fights with the river. Very rough at times.

At least they learned one thing before going out, Wear the life jacket! That definately saved there lives!

Even on the best of days things can happen. Like the picture above, that could have been someone's boat the fool drove ontop of instead of rocks.

Also, I love the fact the people gave them the shirts off there back! That Rocks! Hat's off to you guys.

Always listen to Ch16 you never know if you are the closest boat to help (keeping in mind you don't want to put your self in danger)

BasicPatrick
05-25-2004, 06:18 PM
bump

Robert Cadle
06-07-2007, 11:13 AM
Wow! That's a scary message, especially for a relatively new boater like me. My 12 year old son and I have a 17 ft v-hull bass tracker which we use on the local ponds and lakes. We've been wanting to launch it from Salisbury state park and try some striper fishing but have been reluctant because I heard that the rip currents are really strong. Is this foolish to do or is there a safe way to do some striper/blues fishing in the mouth in such a boat? Any advice is appreciated. Bob

gf2020
06-07-2007, 11:33 AM
I wouldn't do it in a 17' aluminum boat.

The story above was from May 2004, but the points are still vaild.

I had a 20' center console for the past 3 seasons and I would run out of the Merrimack with my twin boys (now 10.5) on board. I was very careful in choosing my conditions and stages of the tide when running the mouth.

That said, I never felt comfortable fishing the mouth with my sons on board. We would drift outside the mouth and further upriver near the Toothpick or on Joppa.

Plenty of good fishing in the Merrimack without setting up in the mouth.

Robert Cadle
06-07-2007, 04:48 PM
Thanks for the response. I think I will stay away from the "mouth" (however that is defined) in my boat -- any suggestions on where to put in for some striper fishing? High or low tide? Bob

gf2020
06-07-2007, 09:07 PM
The Cashman Park ramp in Newburyport is great.

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/pab/pabpdfs/pab-75.pdf

Get there early on a Saturday or Sunday, however.

I would go take a look at the river at low tide to familiarize yourself with the rocks and bars in the area and then come back and fish it on a dropping tide.

Lots of guys have luck on the incoming but I have generally had better luck on a dropping tide.

MrHunters
06-07-2007, 10:09 PM
was at "the mouth" yesterday... ebb tide sw wind makes for a rough ride back to the launch.... and although cashmans is a nice launch, mid to low tide with those conditions makes only one side availible.... and that side is VERY steep.

while at the mouth i was watching boats drift through the rips at maybe 10 kts at times.... it is not for the faint at heart for sure. once outside the swells subside and like said above, you don't need to be a hero to still have fun... stay around joppa if conditions are such.

that all said... seeing what i saw yesterday, im surprised this doesnt happen more often.