View Full Version : SKUNKED Again!

Notaro
05-15-2004, 10:03 PM
I fished off the canal with ledgerunners and plugs. No bite. My dad aimlessly caught a tog off the east end with a clam.

CAL
05-15-2004, 10:22 PM
Geez, you're on a roll, huh? :laughs:

Got my first fish AND my first keepah today :happy:

Notaro
05-15-2004, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by CAL
Geez, you're on a roll, huh? :laughs:

Got my first fish AND my first keepah today :happy:

Sonvabiatech! :af: :smash: I'm on a roll to what? Skunkolla?

BigFish
05-16-2004, 09:14 AM
Notaro, don't begrudge your Dad the fish he caught. He did after all have a line in the water.:huh:

Your moment will come.....all good things to those who fish their butts off! (I think that is how it goes?):D

When do you finish school? Maybe Slingah and I take you fishing with us?;)

bart
05-16-2004, 09:34 AM
i got the skunk yesterday as well. conditions were real nice too with strong SW wind and white water making up. could've used some overcast skies tho. couldn't believe there were no fish around. might've caught something if some friggin jet-skier scumbag didn't keep bootin through my spot :af:

BigFish
05-16-2004, 09:38 AM
Hit jet-skier scumbag in head with 4 oz. Hopkins.....:eek: ...he go away! (just kidding) Don't want to upset all of you "save the jet-skier" folks.:D

bart
05-16-2004, 10:05 AM
:D

Notaro
05-16-2004, 10:25 AM
I just finished on May 10th, BF. That would be nice. Lemme know when you are heading.

I was going to hit the west end, but it was at the high tide and the wakes were huge. Then I switched to the east. It was windy. The news predicted a strorm breewing by and it was right. I suspected so when the wind breezed so hard.

JohnR
05-16-2004, 10:36 AM
Notaro - instead of going to Falmouth, then Rockport, then the Canal, then this place and then that place - all using different methods and gear - how about narrowing things down to one place, one method for a bit?

Congrats on getting your dad out and into some fish :btu: - that is real good (and Tog real tasty).

Notaro
05-16-2004, 10:40 AM
Like learning a spot and trying my luck there instead of going around every spot, john?

JohnR
05-16-2004, 11:16 AM
Pretty much. Figure two spots, when you can get to fairly easy and one you really like and can get a ride too when the stars are in alignment and you're lucky...

Learn these two spots and make them work for you. Get success and then stretch out more to more places. I just think you need to give yourself more of a chance to develop as an angler and what you are doing right now is not consistent enough for you to develop that consistency

Maloney
05-16-2004, 11:38 AM
You are jumping around like I did when I started. I finally decided to learn a few places on the canal, and just worked them whenever I was down there. Take a walk and see where the regulars go. Don't burn their spots, but get a feel for what end to fish at certain tide stages. Be a gentlemen,keep your eyes open, and it will all come together. The old saying,"Paying your dues." is very true on the canal. It will all work out for you, believe me.

Notaro
05-16-2004, 04:53 PM
Thanks, JohnR. You are right. I mean, I have been going around many spots trying to find fish, right? In an area, I could move around in one spot and learn it. And I have methods to experiment to determine which will help me to land fish. Alright, I will take your advices, but its a long way to go. Have some faith and patience in me.

jugstah
05-16-2004, 07:48 PM
Notaro, don't feel bad.. as a fellow deafie, you aren't alone in the skunkarolla club.. i been skunked so far this year, yet my brothers are hitting hte bass...

maybe we jsut can't hear the drag screamin? :)

BigFish
05-16-2004, 07:55 PM
JohnR is very correct Notaro....learn those couple of spots, fish them hard and make them work for you.:D

Notaro....I also never hear that you throw much topwater....this time of the year (actually any time of the year) you should be throwing some 1 ounce Gibbs pencil poppers.....white w/red head, yellow w/red head, blue and white, yellow and white. Also put bucktail o'shaunessy hooks on the tail....5/0 size. These plugs are what I call fish finders. They work alot of water quickly and generally if there are fish about, you will know pretty quickly. Go pick up 3 or 4 and give them a try my friend if you don't already have some. I love them....they crush!:happy:

Notaro
05-16-2004, 08:35 PM
Yes, you are right, I will do that. So far I have learned in Falmouth that the chunking works, but I have not tried plugging topwater lures in small size since I have two or three surf rods that handles 3 oz and more. I will try those recommendation, BF. But I don't want to do another canal trip again because my parents and I were arguing about finding a parking space there yesterday. When the season gets late, I want to try slinging eels. But one at time, right guys?