View Full Version : Sea sickness

rich
07-24-2001, 06:53 AM
Anybody ever use the patch? Ive tried everything else and nothing works.

07-24-2001, 08:22 AM
How about this, head out to BI with me and just tie a hefty garbage bag around your neck, when you are ready to blow you are all set......

Bill uses the wrist bands and says they work well for him!!!

Fisherwoman
07-24-2001, 08:32 AM
I tried the patches a few years back on a cruise and they made me sicker that the motion did. Of course it could have been the tequilla!!!!!! ye ha!!!
I think it depends on the person, my dad used to use them when he went salmon fishing on Lake Michigan and they worked just fine for him. Have you tried ginger root?

Jaiem
07-24-2001, 09:27 AM
Try Triptone. You can get it in most drug stores, dive shops and marine stores (check the expiration dates!). Or order it online at Eckard Drugs' website. Doesn't make you sleepy like Dramamine.

Also, I've been told candied ginger is good too but haven't tried it yet.

The big thing to me is 1) get as much sleep as you can the night before the trip, and 2) avoid coffee, booz and spicey/rich foods before and during the trip.

Fishpart
07-24-2001, 10:21 AM
Fresh air and saltines work for me... I find if I go below deck I get sick, especially with a nice glassy ground swell.

JohnR
07-24-2001, 12:05 PM
The only time I came close was on a party boat after 12 hours in 10+ waves... I was getting a little green then but not really seasick. The worst thing you can do is a greasy bacon/sausage/egg & cheese sandwich before you head out... I remember warning a few about that once - they ate them anyway... They had a very L O N G day

Canalratt1
07-24-2001, 12:09 PM
There is a new thing out that gves you a mild electric shock. A guy showed it to me on a cod trip. He claims you can even use it after you get sick. I'm not sure what its called but I think some drug stores are carring it.

Jaiem
07-24-2001, 12:22 PM
Canalratt1 (07-24-2001 13:09):
There is a new thing out that gves you a mild electric shock. A guy showed it to me on a cod trip. He claims you can even use it after you get sick. I'm not sure what its called but I think some drug stores are carring it.

I've seen it. Seaband or something. Like the pressure points but with a mild shock. Have heard mixed reviews.

John - On my 3-day Viking trip last year, the night we left two guys were eating raw clams and drinking beer. They paid for it the next 2 days. ;)

Patrick
07-24-2001, 12:45 PM
Sea sickness is due to the inner ear. If you ever had an inner ear infection, you know how your sense of balance. You can't really stop sea sickness, you can only hope to contain it. The only thing you can do is treat the symptoms.

First thing you can do is be prepared. Don't eat that greasy stuff. That will just get your stomach upset. Same thing with alcohol. If you do have to eat something, crackers are best.

Now, I've used the bands that use pressure points, not the electric shocks. I am a firm believer in pressure points. For thousands of years, the orientals have used pressure points to heal them and as self defense. I don't know if the pressure point bands work but for 5 bucks and just the thoughts that they work usually calms my queasiness.

The worst thing you can do is go to an enclosed space like the head or a berth. The open air will help you feel better.

Some people swear by ginger root tea. I don't know about that either.

The best thing you can do is just keep yourself busy. Tie rigs, keep fishing, whatever it takes. If you are close to shore, find a building and keep counting windows. Anything to distract yourself.

Sea sickness is a pain in the butt and it could ruin your trip if you let it bother you. Just keep going and you'll be okay.

Fishguts
07-24-2001, 01:30 PM
The mistake that many people make is taking whatever they take shortly before getting on the boat. I have always had better success getting at least two doses in me the night before and keeping with recomended dosages there after.

rich
07-24-2001, 01:42 PM
179 (07-24-2001 09:22):
How about this, head out to BI with me and just tie a hefty garbage bag around your neck, when you are ready to blow you are all set......

Bill uses the wrist bands and says they work well for him!!!
tit

Jenn
07-24-2001, 10:50 PM
I absolutely LOVE the water and have never been seasick...
but a friend of mine is very prone to it.....she has used the bands ans says they work wonders!

hee hee....nothing will beat the time I was on a whale watch on the upper deck looking over and say this poor guy down below upch#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g over the side!!! I know it sounds mean....but it was kind of funny....

07-25-2001, 08:35 AM
Rich,
Now take all the advice above and lets head to Block Island on Saturday!