View Full Version : My first Grand Slam

NilsC
05-17-2004, 10:54 PM
Fished Jamaica bay this weekend with my friend MtnBrz1. We both ended up with a grand slam of Blue fish, Striper and Weakfish.
Since both of us are fishing from a kayak (kayak fish don't count) I hope you apreciate the picture. This was my first weakfish but I hope I get many more.

Nils

thefishingfreak
05-17-2004, 11:07 PM
yak!!!

nice weaky!
fat guy, ain't he?

and whats up with that pink tube???:happy:

i think you can cram some more gear into that boat.
mike

fliboy
05-18-2004, 05:31 AM
Nils - nice fish!

I'm actually interested in how you rigged your yak - it does look like it's a "loaded" model. I'd be interested if you were willing to share some pictures of how you have it rigged. I'm thinking of picking up a "sit on top" version like you have and would be interested how you rigged it. Do you have a particular rod holder you've found to work well? Do you have it rigged with an anchor?

THanks

Dave

striprman
05-18-2004, 05:36 AM
Aint they pretty:btu:

Christian
05-18-2004, 06:12 AM
thats awsome!!!!:D

Crafty Angler
05-18-2004, 06:24 AM
Weakfish don't count :laughs:

Just kidding - nice squeet :btu:

I'm ready for mine any time now :smokin:

MountainBreeze
05-18-2004, 06:38 AM
Let me tell you that the Bubblegum tube is killer from the yak! It's the only tube I'll troll now and it's what Nils and I got our slams on.

Nils' yak' is maxed out! :D He's got everything but the kitchen sink on it and I think he's takin' measurements to drop that in the rear hatch soon! LOL!

I don't have all the fancy electronics that Nils has but here are some pics (http://kfs.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=418607442&f=220603834&m=767106704) of my T-160's config.

Tight Lines,
Rob

MrsSFrances
05-18-2004, 07:36 AM
:btu: Nice Fish Nils :btu:

they are soooo pretty...and taste sooooo good:D

tlapinski
05-18-2004, 07:37 AM
rob, love the pics of your set up! now i really have to get out with you guys! :drool:

FishWebb
05-18-2004, 07:46 AM
Excellent!:happy:

NilsC
05-18-2004, 07:58 AM
:D
The Fishing Freak, it was a nice fish MtnBrz1 got one the same size.
Pink/bubblegum colored tube outfished everything while fishing from the kayak last season.
I'm working on the outriggers so I can put a leaning post for sight fishing the flats :D

Fliboy, I'll take some pictures. I redid the rigging friday before the tournament so I have no pictures yet.

Christian, Crafty, :cool: I love fishing the New England coast learning one little area at a time. Now I'm ready for tuna:rolleyes:

Rob, I have to find a place to put my pics... :laughs:

MrsS, Thank you. I have never eaten weakfish. This was a catch and release tournament so I didn't keep the fish :(

Toby, I was scooping out the river last night. I'm going to try fishing there this week. I got a FW lic.:D

Here is a picture of the fish that Rob used to beat me out of the tournament.........
:smash:
Nils

MountainBreeze
05-18-2004, 08:04 AM
Yeah... That was crazy... We both caught a 22.5" blue, a 30" weak, and short stripers, only 2" difference.

Small fish (except for the weakie) but a great time!!!

Can't wait for King Cove's 1st Annual NorthEast Kayak Fishing Rodeo (http://www.kingcovekayakcenter.com/content/events_content/events_fishing_tournament.html)!!! :D

Toby - we can take care of ya' anytime you're ready!

Clammer
05-18-2004, 08:43 AM
Nils =Nice fish ================Yaks =count ===trolling T & W doesn,t ==============:D :D

NilsC
05-18-2004, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Clammer
Nils =Nice fish ================Yaks =count ===trolling T & W doesn,t ==============:D :D

:D so how many ways do we have now. I mean ways that "DONT COUNT" :rolleyes:
I know boat, t&W, river (chunk?)....:laughs:

John E
05-18-2004, 02:53 PM
Sounds like you guys had a great day and I don't want to burst your bubble, but does a "gland slam" consist of catching four diffent types of fish not just four fish?

killerlexus
05-18-2004, 03:27 PM
i like the electronics :happy:
got a fridge too?

redneck24
05-18-2004, 05:02 PM
nice:D

rocketman
05-18-2004, 08:44 PM
My personal grand slam, The one I haven't been able to accomplish yet is Weak,Striper, Blue, & Fluke.

thefishingfreak
05-18-2004, 11:02 PM
hey,
nevermind the outriggers.
get yo'self a stepladder.
it's like havin a "tower" on the yaks.

gotta get me some of those pink tubes!
the bluefish should tear them appart.

MountainBreeze
05-19-2004, 06:19 AM
Originally posted by thefishingfreak
hey,

gotta get me some of those pink tubes!
the bluefish should tear them appart.
Last weekend I had a blue hit my tube and bite the steel leader in the tube off 1/2 way up!

I had another one that I went to pull on to show my wife all the teeth marks and it snapped!

The sure do some dammage to them but they are a lot of fun.

I can't tell you how many I got when I reeled the tube in, rippin' it across the top of the water, to check for weeds. They would strike it 3 or 4 times - until they got it! :D

NilsC
05-19-2004, 10:20 AM
JohnE, at the tournament they had 3 different species as a grand slam. I had 3 different species.... no bubble burst :rolleyes:

killerlexus, does a Cooler Count? :D

If a grand slam is 4 species, then I had only a slam...:smash:

fishinfreak, stepladder... hm there is an idea.:laughs:

Rob, another one... Are you not glad I got you 25......... :confused:

NilsC

MountainBreeze
05-19-2004, 10:52 AM
Yeah... I couldn't believet it. :eek:

At least I can take the leader/hook from the tube that broke in half and put it in the good tube with the leader that broke in half. ;)