View Full Version : Seasickness...No Cure!!!

eelman
07-24-2001, 02:24 PM
I have striper fished a long time and, many times I have had the invite to tag along on someones boat for what promised to be bass after bass.

Every once in a while I would go.And everytime I went I got sick! I tried everything known to man to stop the green around the gills feeling and, nothing worked. I could have cared less if the guys were catching 50 pound bass left and right ! Once that sickness sets in,its like nothing else! Those who have had it know what im talking about! Its worse than a hangover ,its comes out both ends and it makes you wish you were dead!

I was foolish,remember you always have a choice! right up until your on the dock you can back out! There were many times I should have.

I think thats why I honed my surcasting skills to the point where I would not need to put up with "problems" of boat fishing.

My advice to those who are prone to seasickness is to stay on "terra-firma" It just isnt worth it to get that sick! I would much rather have a couple of shore caught fish than a night of misery,laying in the cabin of some rocking boat,wishing someone would shoot me and end the misery.Its the worst folks!

I think all the remedies are bogus, none of it works.At best it just prolongs the inevidible.For the worst thing was being anchored up in moderate seas bottom fishing,A close second was "slow trolling".

The other factor that made me even more sick,was the smell of that diesel exhaust for hours at a time ,combined with the constant rolling and rocking.

Party boats? forgetaboutit!! There the worst! They are floating seasick factories from hell !!

Not only are you hurling over the side, you have to watch some 400lb old salt chugging down budweiser and eating #^&#^&#^&#^& on a shingle! I think you get the visual!!

Then you finally "wobble" on over to the head! and sit down, as the boat rocks, the water slaps your cheeks on each side as you stair at the floor. All the while begging god to get you off this F$%$ING BOAT in one piece!! That blue colerd recycled toilet water making you even more green!

The moral of this story? There is something to be said about fishing the surf, you are at your own mercy! you can go home when you want! and yes of course you can still catch fish.

JohnR
07-24-2001, 02:43 PM
That blue colerd recycled toilet water making you even more green!

LMAO

Jaiem
07-24-2001, 03:10 PM
Some years ago a charter boat out of Pt. Lookout did a open trip in December for cod. I was one of 6 passengers who bravely (foolishly?) went out.

Heavens, it was cold and rough! At least 8 foot swells. Not waves, swells! Water was crashing over the side, in through the port holes, etc. Everyone was chumming that day. But man, did we take fish! :)

Agree about the blue water. ;)

Got Stripers
07-24-2001, 07:15 PM
I've got a friend that's the same way, put a 4 foot rollling sea out in front of my boat and he will be begging to return to the dock within 30 minutes. Luckily for him, it's only a matter of miles and I'm more than happy to bring him back in.

I've never been sea sick and that even includes weathering a monster off Cape Hatteras in 60+ foot seas, while trying to grap a couple hours sleep in a hanging hammock under deck on a 52 foot catch. Sorry for that image #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&, that in and of itself might have given you a touch of green :(.

My friend never had a cure, and I'm not sure what the modern solution is...if any. I personally get a thrill out of the rough stuff, ask anyone that's been in my boat :), I like live it on the edge.

Jenn
07-24-2001, 11:02 PM
Love those boats....but dont ever ask me to get on a plane!!! I can swim......I cant fly.....nuff said!!! :D

Thunder Rod
08-17-2001, 09:22 AM
Amen #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&.

I find that a lack of sleep is tops in turning me green. 2nd is that coffee in the morning really doesn't help the old tummy situation. Gotta keep those eyes on the horizon! Tying knots in a cuddy cabin will clinch it. (always pre rig everything if proned to green gill disease)

Sometimes I'm more prone to it more than others. Unfortunately, I just gotta get salty when I can and hope for the best.

Go figure, I managed to surface transit the English Channel below decks in a rolling submarine up to 40 degrees without getting sick, (perhaps it's because I was at the helm for a time and actually "driving?) but just thinking of slow trolling in 6-ft swells while inhailing outboard exhaust......ack....

JohnR
08-17-2001, 09:44 AM
T-Rod - I'm lucky that I have yet to get seasick (I'm not saying that it won't happen but as of yet...)... I've heard some stories about major sub rolling, with many people getting sick in a closed environment just fueling the fire - nasty...

My sister did a stint in the NOAA corp and she was stuck in some tall seas (well over 30') with what is considered a small ship (or a large fishing boat, which was what it really was - 140 feet) but to have the waves around 1/4 the waterline of the boat, doesn't do much for easy steaming...

patrickswoman
08-17-2001, 09:47 PM
My brother did the deep sea thing off cape hatteras,with the huge swells, more than once! (the last time even the mate got sick..) Laid on the deck puking then got up to reel his fish in. I hope when I drag patrick out there he doesn't barf. So far I haven't gotten any of the greenies but I haven't been in swells that big yet...