View Full Version : need recommendation on drill chuck for a lathe

crashfromamesbury
05-19-2004, 12:20 PM
its going on a jet mini, i know it has mt2 live center.. just wondering if there is really a difference between jacobs, supreme or any of the off brands, have seen so many on e bay and other places just wondering what a fair price would be and any other precautions i should be aware of..

will be using this for thru drilling but also to end bore the tail end for weighting ..

also was wondering if anyone here was using roof flashing for tail weights as opposed to buying the pre formed weights.

thanks

Backbeach Jake
05-20-2004, 04:55 PM
I bought mine at Sears. I think I paid 25 bucks or so for it.

crashfromamesbury
05-21-2004, 07:57 AM
thanks jake.. did you grab a 0-1/4 chuck or did you opt for the larger up to 3/8 or 1/2"...

Fishpart
05-21-2004, 08:41 AM
If you get one that goes to 1/2" you have the ability to use drill bits over 1/2" with turned down shanks (Deming style) to make popper mouths....

MikeTLive
09-05-2004, 09:17 AM
how does the chuck stay seated in the mini lathe?
on both ends it seems to be a simple friction fitting.
What keeps it from spinning free ?

capesams
09-05-2004, 10:15 AM
crash..I have a brand new hd 1/2 chuck u can have for 10.00 if u want it..plus shp.....

chucks will stay put if u gave it a tap with a block of hard wood...just setting it in with your hand it will at times spin out.

MikeTLive
09-05-2004, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by capesams
crash..I have a brand new hd 1/2 chuck u can have for 10.00 if u want it..plus shp.....

chucks will stay put if u gave it a tap with a block of hard wood...just setting it in with your hand it will at times spin out.

Im the one lookin fer a chuck now.
I resurrected this thread to keep the comments together.
If your offer stil lstands I'd be glad to take it!

(unless crash is still lookin...)

capesams
09-05-2004, 01:36 PM
it's just sitting collecting dust,,,your welcome to it...pm me your addy.

crashfromamesbury
09-07-2004, 07:11 PM
missed that note cs, i grabbed a 33jacobs chuck over the winter..did a complete cleaning and it works ok.. hope to have my shop up and running in hyannis by the winter..
just recovering from a hip replacement and i am going stir crazy..

hows the fishing where you are?

capesams
09-07-2004, 07:36 PM
tell you the truth,, I've done so much fishing in the past years, to the point I was never home...I almost missed my son growing up...I said I'm staying home this summer for the most part an spending it with the family... may make some people say" your nuts"..but ,,thats the way it go's......

hope your hip is doing well....when you move in up in hy an iss,,,give me a shout.