View Full Version : Ever fish the Potomac River??

C-5 CC
05-19-2004, 04:43 PM
I will be flying into Andrews AFB, MD, late Sat PM, and am looking for some info, or a fishing partner for Sunday. From the map, I think I am about 20 minutes from the river, due east of Fort Foote Park. Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks-
Brandon:cool:

Notaro
05-19-2004, 05:02 PM
I have. Don't waste your time there. If you are into catfishing, I will tell you where to go. If you want a saltwater fishing, go to Ocean City or VA. Alternatively, hire a charter to take you to fishing in Cheapspeare bay.

MakoMike
05-20-2004, 06:09 AM
I've fished the river up by Leesburgh VA a couple of times. A few largemouths and panfish, nothing to write home about.

jugstah
05-20-2004, 06:44 AM
I lived in the DC area for 7 years, and well, I've not fished the Potomac, but it has been largely a reputation of sorts for being quite the dirty river.... I think you'd have better luck going to Baltimore and perhaps charter a boat or maybe if you can, go to Dewey Beach.. I fished there quite a few times, just need to learn how to fish with a mullet rig. :)

C-5 CC
05-20-2004, 01:28 PM
Thanks for the info...I guess I will go to the ocean instead.:(

Mr. Sandman
05-20-2004, 02:41 PM
I lived in N. VA for a few years and tried fishing there... it is pretty foul ANYPLACE aroun DC IMO. To let you know how bad it is...I gave up fishing all together while I lived there and took up GOLF! (no kidding, I got down to a 10 handicap!) Actaully, I still made several charter trips along the eastern shore of MD and fished the Ches. Bay. That is better then the DC area and but frankly....it was OK...not that great. If you want to go fishing down there that is the thing to do...drive to MD or Del and either fish the bay or go offshore for big game.
IMO the bay fishing for bass is actaully very good but not much fun the way they fish it. They use huge bay boats and troll a ton of lines...I think we had 16 lines over, all with big blue rubba shads. On our way out...capt calls another on his cell phone, enters the numbers in 20 minutes we were on the fish. One pass, all 12 rods and 4 hand lines went...limited out in one pass. Then we made one more pass, did the same thing, tossed them back, and headed back to the dock...we were back at the slip at 8:30am...I ate my bag lunch when I got home.
IMO they don't know how to fish down there....its all about $ and getting the next group in and out asap.
There are a lot of fish in the bay though...that is for sure.

C-5 CC
05-21-2004, 03:46 AM
Oh well....so much for spending Sat PM fishing a new spot??? I guess I will have to sleep during the night like most of the rest of the world.
Brandon