View Full Version : Spent The Afternoon Painting Plugs......

BigFish
05-19-2004, 09:44 PM
21 of them.....11 needlefish.....4 poppers.....6 pencil poppers!:D All went well, the tough part was painting them outside with rattle cans is pretty tricky...:rolleyes:.....with a light breeze and the occasional piece of dust getting in the way ....only had a couple of small runs, no big deal, won't even notice them when I am done.;) Now I know why some of you guys said to work in small batches.....:doh:......that was a heck of alot of work! Sprayed multiple colors....most of the plugs have 3 colors! They really came out fantastic! I will let them dry for a day and then envirotex......I can't wait to post the pictures! You have waited (patiently) for this long, a few more days can't hurt!:drool:

Any envirotex tips or tricks at this point might be good!:) Followed many of your past instruction to this point.....I built a drying rack to flip them every 10 minutes as they dry.......I am just gonna mix the e-tex....brush on (after I wire them up) and hopefully all will go as well as it has so far! Thanks for the help! (as always):btu:

MAC
05-20-2004, 03:28 AM
When you epoxy don't go by a timer. Watch over the plugs and if you see the finish start to sag , flip the plug. Might be 5 minutes, might be 7 minutes...

Nebe
05-20-2004, 08:06 AM
A huge mistake I made on my last bach was not to wipe them down with alcohol before i clearcoated. The result was a horrible mess with bare paint and pools of envirotex... I think I ate a pizza for lunch before I through wired, and the grease was all over the plugs :(

ALso- Envirotex makes a spray can clear that is a perfect scratchcoat.

Striperknight
05-20-2004, 11:17 AM
Mix it well. Time how long you mix it. Do at least 3 min on the mixing. While mixing try not to trap a lot of air. The directions go
into this.

MAC
05-20-2004, 04:28 PM
An easy way to cure the oil on hands problems......wear latex gloves. Use the non-powdered ( medical quality) ones. I don't use alcohol between scuff coat and epoxy, I just use compressed air to blow the dust off of surface of plug after scuffing>

BigFish
05-20-2004, 04:32 PM
You scuff the paint???:confused: Please explain that....from the point I am at, I have just finished painting....now what would you do?:confused:

MAC
05-20-2004, 05:04 PM
I scuff the scratch coat. After paint I let dry for a day. Then apply a light coat of spar urethane. Let dry for a day(even if it feels dry it takes 24 hrs. to cure) Then I scuff the plug.

BigFish
05-20-2004, 05:07 PM
I can do that....thanks Newelly! Scuff with 320??? Then clean with anything before envirotex?

MAC
05-20-2004, 05:11 PM
I use a scotch brite pad in the equilivent of 000 steel wool. Just use your compressor to blow the dust off of plug.

BigFish
05-20-2004, 05:13 PM
No compressor......tack cloth? Ain't I a sweet pain in the ass?:smash:

blackeye
05-20-2004, 05:17 PM
wipe down with denatured alcohol

Slingah
05-20-2004, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by BigFish
No compressor......tack cloth? Ain't I a sweet pain in the ass?:smash:
u said it BigFellah:laughs: :laughs: :laughs:
you don't need a compressor....u is full of hot air:laughs:

MAC
05-20-2004, 06:09 PM
Don't use a tack cloth

MAC
05-20-2004, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by Slingah
u said it BigFellah:laughs: :laughs: :laughs:
you don't need a compressor....u is full of hot air:laughs: :laughs: :laughs: :laughs: