View Full Version : Jigging technique

Vectorfisher
05-22-2004, 01:55 PM
Tried a bunch of different things jigging for Cod today out the bank and was wondering what everyone else does. Do you guys bounce it off the bottom continously, and do you jig and hesitate a while or just jig after jig etc? Also when your looking for a spot to fish is there a certain structure, depth your looking for? Do you guys fish on the bank or the shelf where it drops off? Just trying to get idea's to make it a litttle more productive for me any help will be greatly appreciated. ;)

beamie
05-22-2004, 06:48 PM
Vector,

I like to contact to bottom on every down of the jig. When your 5 to 7 miles east of the bank in 250-275 looking to get your limit and maybe catch a 50# cocker I besieve it is the sounds of that jig pounding the bottom that gets them going. Not too much sunlight down that far. And jig jig jig. Lazy jiggers have far less hook ups.

Raider Ronnie
05-22-2004, 08:01 PM
Vector,
How were the seas out on the bank today!!!
I stayed in the harbor with my 2 small sons and tried live lining some herring for bass, but once again the forecast was way off!!!:laughs:

I think how you jig can depend on the wind and current a lot of days.
If the current is really moving I am most likely using a very heavy jig (35 oz ) and I cast it as far up current that I can,
In a perfect world we would have 10 kt winds and seas 1-2 ft everyday !!! and use 16 oz jigs all day !!! :p
Ron

Vectorfisher
05-23-2004, 09:41 AM
Ron,

Sea's were great in the a.m running out and fine the whole time we fished, just really foggy funny thing though when we packed up to head in about 12 noon we were only running a couple miles when the sea's picked up but it was still nothing compared to a few weeks ago out there never throttled back below 19 knots yesterday, few weeks ago could barely get 7 knots!!

MakoMike
05-24-2004, 09:30 AM
If the jig ain't moving you ain't fishing! Pound the bottom on every downstroke and keep the jig constantly moving.