View Full Version : Never go fishing when your on call for work.

BrianS
05-24-2004, 12:58 PM
I hit the ditch last night.... Got there for the perfect tide and all.

I had two poles going.. Chunk mackeral at the bottom, and then pluggin with the other one.

Mind you of course, I was also on-call for my job (tech support for a lawfirm)

Anyway, an attorney calls me mid cast... I try to talk to him and reel my plug in 1.5 handed... It wasnt working, I got snagged so I put the pole down... Seconds later, line starts SCREAMING off my pole with the chunk. I pick up the pole (still talking to the attorney) and set the hook... Im trying to balance it till the end of the call which never seemed to be coming...

Finally, I just tell the attorney, that I need to put him on hold a sec. I drop the cell and start reeling, there is no doubt in my mind the fish at the end was big... big big big...

The phone rings again. He had accidentally hung up and called me back. I picked it up, the fish went the other way, line was snapped...

I was NOT happy

Worst thing was, the attorney was calling me because he was at an airport and couldnt get onto a webpage from an internet kiosk. Nothing I could even help him with.

So I lost the fish
No more bites the rest of the night
I did get to meet mrmacey

but man.. all in all.. im still annoyed.

RIJIMMY
05-24-2004, 01:25 PM
I think the real lesson for you should be: Never go working when you’re on call to fish.
:p

RIROCKHOUND
05-24-2004, 01:27 PM
RIJ..
Been out at all?

Christian
05-24-2004, 01:40 PM
no cell phones while fishing. bring em, but turn em off.

Bass Nut
05-24-2004, 02:33 PM
Exactly why we have voicemail. I was on call often at the old job, also in IT, if i was busy or in the middle of something, I would let the call go through to VM, I would check the message immediately but I was not about to drop whatever I was to doing to connect a user in California to a printer in Waltham. (90% of the time all they had to do was log out and back in, because they were already setup for this.

But were too afraid to ask the supervisor for assistance, so they would just call the on call phone.) The Nerve of those Bastages.

BrianS
05-24-2004, 02:36 PM
The thought to ignore the call and let it go into voicemail never hit me.

They are supposed to page me, so I thought it might be my wife etc... also the fish didnt hit till I got on the phone.

Oh well, round 2 comes Wednesday!

The Dad Fisherman
05-24-2004, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Bass Nut
(90% of the time all they had to do was log out and back in, because they were already setup for this.

But were too afraid to ask the supervisor for assistance, so they would just call the on call phone.) The Nerve of those Bastages.

This pretty much Sums it up