View Full Version : Tuna fishing

Bonefish
05-25-2004, 03:58 PM
If you wanted to go Deep Sea Tuna fishing in the middle of June on the East Coast what is the closest place to go. Any tips on Charters would be great to.

Fly Rod
05-25-2004, 05:26 PM
:) If going from Cape Ann I'd give" Tuna Hunter" a call!!!

www.worldwidefishing.com/massachusetts/b1972

this fella does very well!!!;) :cool:

thefishingfreak
05-25-2004, 05:36 PM
june seems a little early to charter for bluefin tuna in the bay, sept. oct. better.
june you'll pay for someone elses "exploring" trip.

try south, r.i.-ny-nj,, maybey find a boat going to the canyons.
nothing but bluefins north of the cape, first schools of giant coming thru. so further south might put you into yellowfins bigeyes etc.. more action for your $$$$

MAC
05-25-2004, 07:01 PM
Yup, june is a little early up here to rod and reel for giants. This is stick time. If you really want to get one on a rod try later in August thru October. Just remember the fish stays with the boat if you do get one.

Fish On
05-25-2004, 07:20 PM
Somewhat of a seguay but I noticed on Tuna Hunter's website that he runs charters for sharks and tuna and the giants stay with the boat. How does he do this with the same boat when federal regulations prohibit the commercial tuna guys from fishing for sharks or billfish using the same boat. License/permit is applied to the boat. If you want to fish for both you have to have 2 boats (believe it or not). I imagine he could do it with a rec. license and not sell the tuna but that sort of destorys the need for the boat to keep the fish and I'm sure he must sell a giant if he gets one.

Totally confused.

Fly Rod
05-25-2004, 07:35 PM
:) you need a "HMS" charter/headboat permit!!

He is completely legal!!!

The person chartering the boat can keep it only if the fish is under 73" with a charter/ headboat permit !!!

Some people think that they know the rules !!!;) :cool:

thefishingfreak
05-25-2004, 07:49 PM
yep, gotta have charter/ headboat permit,,,,
auto-6 man-life raft, survival suits-- for everyone on board, solas flares, auto epirb.etc...

Fish On
05-25-2004, 08:18 PM
I don't pretend to say that I understand or can keep up with their rules. Just do the best I can. Rec. premit for me.

Fly Rod
05-26-2004, 06:48 AM
:) Yep!!! it is hard keeping up with the rules!!!

Lately it is like changing your socks!! Seems like every day there are new rules for both recs & comm when it comes to migratory fisheries!!!!

Better check about the life raft etc: Some don't require it when others do!!!

you don't need a life raft up to 12 miles out if your boat is under a certain size etc:!!! Check the regs because they have a half dozen up to boat size requirements!!! Some boats need more safety devices then others!!!

We also have a warm & cold water set of rules and here in the north east, we come under cold water regs I think till the end of June !!!:) :cool: