View Full Version : Ever have one of those days/weeks :(.

Got Stripers
07-26-2001, 04:31 PM
After missing almost 2 weeks of serious fishing, with my yard projects, I finally get ready to get down to business. This past weekend I come down with some weird alergic reaction to something I eat, swallowed, breathed and my entire body starts developing hot spots and itches like crazy. I suffered for a while, but the docs got me on steroids now. Today is day 1, in 3 days I'll be a freekin zombie, sleepless eating machine.

Then I talk to FW/BC last night, all pumped up. Go to move the utility trailer to hook up, it's got a flat. I move it and pull the tire, figuring I'd get if fixed on the way home. Hook up the boat and it's sitting on the tire rim on one side. Ever try to jack up a boat trailer with a little hydrolic, it's a project of progressive blocking and it was damn hot yesterday. I'm dripping wet and it's 4:45 and I'm flying out of the driveway to hit the tire ship 10 minutes up the road. Get there and there's a sign on the window "Closing at 1 pm today"..............aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh.

Go up to Sullivan Tire by the Hanover Mall and yup, they can't get one in until tomorrow. Leave both tires and head home, only to sweat some more getting the spare mounted so I can at least fish. Launch this morning at 4:30, nice gentle breeze, pretty flat so I fly up to Cohasset at 50 mph. Get there and pull out my eel rod, open the livewell only to see a cloudy mess of putrid eels. They were all doing well two days ago....................aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh.

Switch to plastic, but the wind is making my presentations harder and harder and the fish don't seem to be present in any number. With the building seas, I figure.....work back to Scituate. Luckily (or not) I hit a couple ledges that had some good numbers (24-28 inchers), but I might have lingered a bit too long at the last one. Man what a ride back to the harber in a big following sea, sure wish I'd had me a throttle man on a separate control. I got soaked, but did manage 15 or so fish, 1 for the grille (figured the big pond owed me that much after the shower and thrill ride) and then a slow ride home. Why you ask, because I've blown the same fuse for the uptenth time and finally go get the damn short located and fixed, then back to Sullivan Tire to get the tire on.

I'm typing rapid fire, only to keep my hands from scratching my skin from my body............ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Jenn
07-26-2001, 05:03 PM
sorry to hear about your misfortunes!

but I have to admit...i needed a good laugh.....

hope the weekend brings GOOD luck your way!!! :)

JohnR
07-27-2001, 08:53 AM
Oooch...

Fisherwoman
07-27-2001, 09:48 AM
GS, sorry to hear about your crappy time out. BC and I Never went out. We got up at 3 and checked the marine forcast, and they had changed it from waves less than 1 ft to 4ft out side the gut. So we dicided it wasn't worth risking it and went back to bed. Needless to say I didn't get my fix either but better safe than sorry. Glad you at least got a few pullin the other way!!!!!

schoolie monster
07-27-2001, 10:02 AM
I know how those days go when everything goes against you and even fishing is infuriating. Usually a couple fish help.

How was cleaning out that livewell. The smell of dead fish, eels, bait is the one thing that gives me the dry heaves! I can look at anything... I can touch just about anything. But I must have a powerful olfactory system cause I am way oversensitive to smell.

Blaahhhh.

How long do you keep those eels in there... John and I used the cooler-livewell set up and took a 100+ eels to Nantucket a couple years ago. We were pretty diligent with replacing the water, running the aerator, putting in ice. Those things were dying by the minute.

I think keeping the water cold is the most important thing on really hot days. Really tough to do.

When we dumped the tank, John was calling me Stan 'cause I was heavin... Stan is the kid in South Park that threw up everytime he talked to his girlfriend.

Well, in our warped minds, it was pretty funny. I hope the well wasn't too bad.

Got Stripers
07-27-2001, 01:15 PM
When I discovered the milky soup in the livewell, I just turned on the pump to constant and a couple hours later it was gin clear. Scooped out the 4 dead eels and drained it. I can keep eels alive indefinately, but I'm guessing the dual stone aireators I had in the livewell were on and off (yard work-power tools) too many times and they were stressed. As long as you check daily and toss any dead ones, they can last up to a month.