View Full Version : Macky Time !!!!

Van
05-25-2004, 05:11 PM
Scored well today, about 150 pounds for the
freezer and Grrrrinder. :laughs: :laughs:
(My Buddy here is happy)

Van
05-25-2004, 05:12 PM
This was NOT taken today, it was rough as hell all day...
I've been on land for 3 hours now and the boats still ROCKIN !!!!!

BigFish
05-25-2004, 05:15 PM
Damn, that must have been fun! Still, you could have alot more macks if'n ya brought me with ya!:smash:

Van
05-25-2004, 05:23 PM
I don't know, you know how you surf guys are...:yak6: :yak6:

Plus it was 2-3 all day with the occasional 5+ footer.

Even Tom got that :yak4: :yak4: feeling today......

but he managed to keep everything down...
(Feel free to rib him tomorrow night !):laughs: :laughs:

BigFish
05-25-2004, 05:26 PM
Yeah, I probably would have launched my lunch......I can't rib Tom for that! He looks pretty happy there in the picture though!:happy:

missing link
05-25-2004, 05:29 PM
Nice!

BasicPatrick
05-25-2004, 06:13 PM
BF can not st a hook van, he just can't:rolleyes:

Fish On
05-25-2004, 08:07 PM
Lots of Macks!

Fish On
05-25-2004, 08:09 PM
Lots of Macks! Here's what we got Sunday.

Fish On
05-25-2004, 08:16 PM
I give up....anyway we caught a lot of em. Sorry I couldn't attach the picture....too big.

quick decision
05-25-2004, 08:23 PM
Nice job. Did you live line any?

Christian
05-25-2004, 08:26 PM
sweeeeeeet,

how ya hittin the cod?

Van
05-25-2004, 08:26 PM
No pic, but thats OK, Sunday was a sweet day, I made the mistake of listening to the weather man and didn't plan on going.

Oh i made that mistake today too "Winds only 10 mph today" so i did plan on going !!!!!

10 MPH !!!! Yea maybe somewhere in the country, not where I was...:af: :af:

I won't be out again till the weekend, but weather sounds crappy again !!!!!!!!!:af: :af: :af: Oh wait,,, it will probably be beautiful...

Van
05-25-2004, 08:31 PM
QD, yes we did live em' a bit, but the "Mission" today was to load the freezer. Just the same when the action slowed late day we lived and got a bunch of hits, no hook ups. Boat was drifting real fast even with the sea anchor out so Bassin was difficult.

Christian , we didn't do any coddin, but i was marking HUGE schools right off the bottom. They might have been cod or herring, dunno..

Buddy got one 22" by accident...

Raider Ronnie
05-25-2004, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by Van
QD, yes we did live em' a bit, but the "Mission" today was to load the freezer. Just the same when the action slowed late day we lived and got a bunch of hits, no hook ups. Boat was drifting real fast even with the sea anchor out so Bassin was difficult.

Christian , we didn't do any coddin, but i was marking HUGE schools right off the bottom. They might have been cod or herring, dunno..

Buddy got one 22" by accident...

Van,
You keep that cod ?
starting next Tues, thats a $7.00 - $8.00 fish !!!;)
$10.00 - $12.00 alive !!!
Started setting up my (big) tank for my boat tonight:happy:

Van
05-26-2004, 07:22 AM
What the hell do ya do with a ive cod????

Who wants ethem alive ???? (Opps I may know that)...:D

Casper
05-26-2004, 08:14 AM
Hi Van,

Hows the new location working out, quicker to get out? Wish there was a weight station nearby?

Van
05-26-2004, 08:32 AM
Like everything, it has it advantages and dis-advantages.
Getting out is quick, but loading the boat is a PIA.

The security of the place is great, but getting into my slip is really tight and I suk at docking !!!!!!

As for the weigh station, I live real close to the den, so its OK.

Still its comes out positive...you putting in or what ????

BEETLE
05-26-2004, 09:02 AM
Van - how much $$ to fish your chumline this year ? :D

Van
05-26-2004, 09:17 AM
Beetle, for you no charge......
Maybe a ride in your new machine is all......:D :D

Casper
05-26-2004, 09:47 AM
I be in right after Bettle! Say what? Bettle, still got those spiders webs on your trailer wheels?

Casper
05-26-2004, 09:51 AM
Van,
How do you grind up those macks?, do you have a manual #32 grinder?, is it easy?, do you have to grind it twice? Do you re-freeze the grind afterward?

Van
05-26-2004, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Casper
Van,
How do you grind up those macks?, do you have a manual #32 grinder?, is it easy?, do you have to grind it twice? Do you re-freeze the grind afterward?

MANUAL GRINDER ???????? NOOOO WAY !!!!!!!
This baby (#32) grinds about 5 pounds a minute !!!!!
Macks, Herring and Pogies....

Grind once into a 1 gal bag then freeze it.

BEETLE
05-26-2004, 10:39 AM
Casper - still doing 50-60 hrs/week at the plant. Been bouncing from there to work around the house to work on the boat. Collectively between all - probably working in some way shape/form the last 2 months 90-100 hours per week. :smash:

The boat will be in the water soon though when it counts the most, think you know what I mean. :D

Mr. Sandman
05-26-2004, 10:43 AM
Take Vans word for it...this is THE GRINDER!! you want.

Nice load of macks!

It must be fun feeding those suckers into the hopper.

Fish On
05-26-2004, 11:36 AM
Van awesome grinder! I have the same grinder but where you have the motor I have a big metal crank. It S&*^%! Where did you get the motor and how can I get one? Did you have to custom rig it?

Can I come over your house and grind my chum? ;-)

Vectorfisher
05-26-2004, 01:24 PM
Van your a regular chum packer ey:hihi: Why the Yamalube in the background looked to me like an american made product pushing your boat;)

Mr. Sandman
05-26-2004, 01:29 PM
Van I was playing with all my grinder parts (that sounds rude!) and I noticed that the fit between the grinder shaft and the coupling is not as tight as I would like it. Did you machine the shaft to fit better or did you jury-rig it somehow?

Fish On
05-26-2004, 02:46 PM
Also, where can I get some of those square 4 gallon pails with covers. I want to store my chum in those pails because it takes up less space in the freezer. Plus the frozen block slips nicely into my 5 gal bucket dispenser. I found 1 website that sells tehm but you need to buy 10 and the price with the cover is like $7 per bucket.

Casper
05-27-2004, 07:17 AM
Hi Fish on,

The only square buckets that I have see recently are the one that you can buy fill with those white pellets for melting snow/ice. But I would check out building 19..... I saw some black buckets, good for storeing eels there a while back, so who knows.
Anyone else seen any around?

Van
05-27-2004, 08:06 AM
Answers:

Fish on---I got real lucky and found the motor and gear box on some scrap equipment here at work. (It is possible to purchase the same, but I think its very expensive, (probably from boston gear) I also got a foot switch from a member here a SB. So its hands-free. If you have the big wheel that came with it, does it have the v-groove for a drive belt? I was going to use it that way before I found the motor and gearbox.
I got square buckets in my neighbors trash they have cats and buy kitty litter in those buckets. I can get 1/week.

Vector-Yamalube box is just a box. The way I buy marine accessories. I need lots of boxes and bigger ones !!!!!
I run the rude ficht (175) and so far so good, it purrs like a kitten...always starts. This is the 4th season I've had that power plant.

Jim--I did machine the shaft on the auger, here at work on one of our lathes, the factory end is crap and not straight (parrallel) to the auger part. I reduced it slightly to fit the adaptor coupling in pic. I also had to machine a new keyway slot, had to be real careful, the auger is crappy cast iron. The coupler is 5/8" on the motor side and 3/4" on the auger side (Pretty sure about that.)

When I start to grind, I get help from my buddys I have a 6" piece of pipe that goes over the hopper, it is about 12" high. That way the squirt doesn't get all over me. AND THEY DO SQUIRT AND SPLATTER !!!!! Its actually kinda nasty, looks like an autopsy gone wrong...:laughs: :laughs: A few beers helps too !!!

So one guy feeds the hopper, one guy bags by just holding a one gallon freezer bag under the plate, and the foot switch helps alot.

FIll em and freeze em' the bait has to be thawed though, so we plan a couple of days ahead. Chuck them in there head first and bye bye !!!! Fishy hamburg out the other side.

I ground all my left overs from last season, the macks and herring from thjis year will be cut bait. I CAN"T WAIT !!!!:happy:

If I can help any of you guys to build your own I'd be happy to help in any way I can, let me know.

Mr. Sandman
05-27-2004, 08:19 AM
Anyone wanting these parts to make this can buy them on ebay (including the motor, #32 chumgrinder, ect) I picked up everthing I need to build one there exepct the coupling which I got from another on-line source that sells lots of couplings. It is on my to-do list to build a chum-station and hook it all up but there are a bunch of other things ahead of it.

Van has blazed the trail...I thought his was so cool I had to make one....I think he should write an how-to article for "The Fisherman"

I think if you do a lot of grinding you will need a better blade, they make some nice HD stainless cutters for diffierent sizes.

Van, when you grind the macks, what is the hole size do you use? Did you purchase a better blades?

Van
05-27-2004, 08:24 AM
Yes I purchased larger plates from
www.sausagemaker.com
they also sell the grinder.

I use 1/2" and 3/8". (1/2" mostly) so it wont clog. I shoulda bought the 3/4" I think that is the biggest.
I still might get it. I also purchase some extra blades and keep them sharp.

Main thing also is I clean and DRY it after each use, especially the plates and cutter. If they get rusty forget it the thing will be nothing but trouble.

schoolie monster
05-27-2004, 09:39 AM
you guys are gross:yak4:

RIROCKHOUND
05-27-2004, 10:06 AM
Used to do it by hand fishing the shark tournies.... even got good enough to grind up small bluefish.... but mushy macks grind nice.... add some bunker oil to the bucket and good to go!

thefishingfreak
05-27-2004, 11:14 AM
here's another idea.

S-Journey
05-27-2004, 11:36 AM
Sweet setup--

Mr. Sandman
05-27-2004, 12:04 PM
That works too...just be careful you don't get you hands near that spinning wheel. :eek:

Fish On
05-27-2004, 12:39 PM
I didn't get the wheel with mine, just the hand crank. Anyway I'm dying to motorize it. What do I search for on e-nay (terms)? Also, how hard is it to rig it/connect it so it works properly?

Van you are the man!

Van
05-27-2004, 12:57 PM
Fish on: I still have the wheel that came with my grinder, you are welcome to it. (You can see the box under my bench in the pic in my cellar)

That set-up is what I was going to do b4 I found the gearbox.

I would put a cage around the belt though.

BEETLE
05-27-2004, 02:02 PM
You guys have way to much time on your hands.

Wait till I come up with my steam turbine model. :eek:

Van
05-27-2004, 02:23 PM
Turbine model !!!:laughs: :laughs: :laughs:

Hey,,, a wood chipper would do too,,,, Eh ?????

Mr. Sandman
05-27-2004, 02:35 PM
I considering hooking up an 150 FICHT evinrude I have laying around my basement that I have no need for... I wonder how much torque that shaft can take?

:D

BEETLE
05-27-2004, 02:42 PM
yes the wood chipper would work as well Van, but I was just thinking maybe I can hook up to one of the turbine here at work
seeing as that - I'M HERE ALL THE EFFIN TIME !!!! :smash:
3600 rpm - yea that's the ticket !!!

I think I need some time on the water ---- soon.
:wall:

thefishingfreak
05-27-2004, 07:23 PM
yeah! autopsy gone wrong,,,horribly wrong.

Goose
05-27-2004, 08:14 PM
Once Van got his muscels he passed this down ta me.

Fly Rod
05-27-2004, 09:24 PM
:) Anybody looking for a pully to attach to the #32 or 22 grinder can be ordered from Cabelas 2004 spring catalog page 265!!!
cost is 30.00 !!!

I have a #32 grinder which I have been using for a few years!!!

Came up with a new contraption this year!!!

Adapted a skim coat [plaster] mixer paddle and a drill to grind up the bait into chum!!!

The mixer cost about 20.00 and everybody has a drill!!!

Does a 5gal. bucket of herring in about 3-4 minutes and a little bit longer for macs, must be that the skin is tougher!!! Must have a cover for the bucket with a hole in it to keep the chum from splattering on ya!!!

Moose Nuckle
05-28-2004, 06:59 AM
Hey Van,
Great looking grinder. My girl gave me her Mothers old grinder made out of steel. I also have a 5 HP 3600 RPM gas engine laying around. How much of a mess would that make?
:D :D :D

Casper
05-28-2004, 08:12 AM
Hi thefishingfreak

Just curious, but with that wheel setup of yours, does the grinder spin at a very fast rate, or do you control the motor spin some-how?

thefishingfreak
05-28-2004, 05:59 PM
casper, the way it's set up with the small pulley on the motor and the large pulley on the grinder it spins pretty slow. i'd say about twice the speed you'd hand crank it. got plenty of power that way. this is actually the invention of a freind of mine, who put the 1/2 h.p. motor on my old mr. chummer.
once it's turned on aint no stoppin it. cept for bluefish spines.
used more for shark chum, got real big ports. about 1/2" openings.macks, herring small bluefish,,,like butter.
big blues, you gotta spine 'em.

Fly Rod
05-28-2004, 09:45 PM
:) I would like to see Cabelas come out with a smaler pulley!!!

the smaller the pully the faster it will go!!!;) :cool: