View Full Version : co2 for airing up your buggy

addict
05-26-2004, 06:28 PM
I have a friend who owns a shop that refills painball gun co2 tanks. I asked him if they sell a smaller tank and he says they do. It's about 2 feet in height and holds 20 lbs of co2.

My question: Does anyone have any experience with these tanks for their buggy? Is it a good/bad idea? The price for one of these is about $150 and can be refilled for about $20. I have no clue how many air-up I can get with this setup.

Thanks for any thoughts...

striperjerk1
05-26-2004, 06:52 PM
addict, oasis off road has this system called the powertank. they say 40 fill ups on their 10lbs tanks.

Good N You
05-26-2004, 08:14 PM
You can buy a small tire pump that plugs into the cig. lighter. with the fitting for a tire onm the end. Short money but I dont know how well theyu work.

MakoMike
05-27-2004, 07:06 AM
I have one of theose pumps that plugs into the cigarette lighter, picked it up for about $15 at Wally world, it works pretty good.

striperjerk1
05-27-2004, 07:48 AM
IMHO the cigarette lighter pumps are ok for tires not exceeding 35psi ,for something higher for 3/4 or 1 ton trucks running 50 or 60 psi, i would suggest a better pump. you know ,fixed up a/c- co2 .

addict
05-27-2004, 07:51 AM
thanks guys...will look into it.

Mr. Sandman
05-27-2004, 08:00 AM
those cig lighter compressors work but are pretty slow. Look at the closely specs when you buy one...some are a complete joke and would not do the job. I have one but don't use it. (I don't even know where it is at the moment) I burned a cheap one out and got another as a gift. I really don't care for them but in a pinch they get the job done.

I have a "real" compressor in my workshop and I drag the looong hose to the truck when I get back (I live very close to the beach).

I have seen some of those tanks mounted in pickups. I bet they work pretty well but the tank needs to be pretty big to fill up large truck tires I know my compressor keeps its tank @ 100psi and it fires off several times when I pump up the tires on the return trip from the beach.

What I would really *LOVE* is an on-board air system that runs a compressor off the engine OR better yet a systerm like the have in the Hummers...you can adjust tire pressur on the fly...now thats slik, I don't know how they do that but I want it! I have written letters to GM and Ford asking them to include them as options on off road vehicles...never got a response:(

Fish_n_Dive
05-27-2004, 04:56 PM
You could try a small aluminum scuba tank, the fills are a lot cheeper than $20 more like $9- $12 i think. i think the co2 tanks are about 1200 psi, a scuba tank can be filled to 3200 psi so more air in a smaller space.

edit: someplace sells adaptors that hook up to the tire

BasicPatrick
05-27-2004, 08:26 PM
Soem of the back beach sharpies have converted air conditioner compressors to fioll their own tires...

macojoe
05-28-2004, 01:17 AM
I was just going to say that Basic, I have a friend that has done that and it works pretty darn good.
I am not to sure how he did it but I am going to ask him. I did not by a sticker this year as I don't use to much and decided $100 was to much. But I have found other times were I or I could have helped some one out if I had a small compressor like that!!

I have a 6hp 60 gal tank compressor in the basement and use to carry one of them red air tanks, but they never hold anough air in them.
O well I am going to ask my buddy how to and about how much $$ to do it and I will get back to you guys.