View Full Version : Have Any Of You Guys Ever Used This Glue To Glue Your Eyes In?

BigFish
05-30-2004, 08:19 AM
I know many of you prefer to use super-glue, but while at Home Depot I saw this glue made by Elmers. Its called "Ultimate Glue". It has I guess a polurethane base and the bottle says it is "waterproof and is paintable and stainable." "Bonds everything, metal, leather, wood, ceramic, brick, stone, glass, and most plastics to themselves and each other." Anyone ever use this adhesive on their plugs?:confused:

l.i.fish.in.vt
05-30-2004, 09:00 AM
Larry, i tried it, it oozes out as it dries sort of looks like foam when it dries.i wouldn,t use it.i don't use any glue and have not had a problem with eyes falling out. as a matter of fact last week i need a few eyes and treid to pop a few out of some plugs i don,t use, theplastic poped out, leaving the prism backing stuck to the plug .

BigFish
05-30-2004, 09:02 AM
Yeah John, the bottle says that it foams.....:( I think I will do as you say, maybe a drop of superglue just to be safe. Thanks for the input.:D

(Almost done):happy:

MAC
05-30-2004, 09:09 AM
Try zap-a- gap

BigFish
05-30-2004, 09:10 AM
Can I get that at Home Depot Newellie?:confused:

You comin' to "Plug Night II"?;)

Tagger
05-30-2004, 09:33 AM
Loctite "QuickTite" Super glue another choice that works

MAC
05-30-2004, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by BigFish
Can I get that at Home Depot Newellie?:confused:

You comin' to "Plug Night II"?;)

I buy it at the fly shop in Taunton (Bears Den)

Not sure on plug nite II. If I don't bring any plugs I will donate a plug for the Childrens Hospital raffle

BigFish
05-30-2004, 12:44 PM
Thanks for the info Newell Guy, and the plug donation....hope you can make it to plug night....it won't be the same if all of you guys are not there. See what you can do......even if you just come to hang out!:D

UserRemoved1
05-30-2004, 05:23 PM
trust me DON'T use superglue...I got 3000 reasons why not to....I never had a problem til this year, been using a thick CA glue similar to Zap a Gap......don't waste your time....

You can't use the ultimate glue for stuff like that Larry, it expands and you'll end up with an eye out off the plug like 1/4" :D

thefishingfreak
05-30-2004, 05:37 PM
you can also find zap-a-gap at hobby shops

BigFish
05-30-2004, 06:06 PM
Thanks guys, sounds like good info! You can't be too careful, thats why I ask lots of questions!:D This week you will see why!:drool:

fishaholic18
05-30-2004, 06:49 PM
BF, you sound like me in the rod building forum, till I got the bugs out. I just think of it as a learning experience, we'll be pretty smart fellas some day.:laughs:

Jigman
05-30-2004, 07:06 PM
I used to just epoxy over the eyes. Had a couple pop out on me after a solid shot to a rock :eek: Since then I have put a drop of Devcon, 30 minute epoxy in the eye socket first. No problems since then, and I've hit a lot of rocks :rolleyes:

Jigman

UserRemoved1
05-30-2004, 07:53 PM
hmmm

Originally posted by Jigman
I used to just epoxy over the eyes. Had a couple pop out on me after I hit my head on a rock :eek: Since then I have put a drop of Devcon, 30 minute epoxy in the eye socket first. No problems since then, but I've got lots of rocks in my head :rolleyes:

Jigman

Jigman
05-30-2004, 09:53 PM
Hey grainmaster :bshake: :p :D

Jigman

Tagger
05-31-2004, 12:38 AM
Salty what is CA glue .. ?? and what problems ? :confused:

Jigman
05-31-2004, 09:01 AM
Tagger, Zap A Gap makes several glues. One is the CA (cyano acylate). You really don't get a good bond on porrous surfaces like wood, just a surface bond. Eyes pop right off. Other glues soak into the wood more and provide a better bond. At least that is my understanding.

Jigman

MAC
05-31-2004, 12:24 PM
I use zap-a-gap CA+ it is a gap filling formula and bonds virtually anything , wood, veneers,cork,rubber,leather,plastics and metals. (wording taken directly from the bottle)

and fingers:laughs:

UserRemoved1
05-31-2004, 06:01 PM
hi jigsy :wave:

Tagger I always used thick CA until this year I have had around 10 plugs lose their eyes that I know of now...I've changed to a German polyurethane glue and have been re-doing all plugs with the new glue...it's so strong that you have to bend the epoxy eye in half before it will pop off.

Jigman
05-31-2004, 07:56 PM
:wave: salty

Jigman

maddog2020
06-02-2004, 07:55 AM
Do you guys clean the back of the eyes before you glue them? I know its another step and they are just eyes. ;)

The parts are molded out of plastics so there is a release agent on them which will affect the bond.

Do the water break test: to check add a drop of water on the back of the eye - if it rolls off you need to clean the surface. If the drop of water lays flat across the eye and doesn't roll off then you are good to go. Denatured alcohol may not be enough. You may have to use the manufacturers primers to achieve this.
( I got this out of Loctite's Design Handbook 1996/1997 edition).

How about useing an slight undersized hole and drop of Zap-a-gap on the back of a cleaned eye and pressing it into the socket?That would lock it in place and the epoxy coat over the finish would help seal it in as well.

I'm not a plug builder, but I do have 15 yrs of experience fabrication prototypes. :)