View Full Version : jagged reefs and boulders

Striperhound
05-31-2004, 12:17 PM
Last three nights I have had a fish each night get me in the rocks on a reef I fish. Last night I hook up and fish is screaming, can't stop her. Gets into the reef and cuts my 50 power pro like butter. I have been fishing some real craggy stuff lately, what is everyone using for main line fishing heavy rocks and reefs. I love my power pro but the rocks make it disappointing at times.

MAC
05-31-2004, 12:26 PM
use a mono leader or shocker

Striperhound
05-31-2004, 12:42 PM
I am using 50 lb PP with a 4 foot section of 50lb flouro

tlapinski
05-31-2004, 12:59 PM
most braids do not hold up well to rock abraison. you are better off with mono in rocky water. i fish 30# mono in the rocky parts of RI. Yo-Zuri Hybrid is amazing for its durability.

Joe
05-31-2004, 01:23 PM
Mono on the reefs, as Mr. Lapinski stated.....Yo-Zuri hybrid is very good for that type of fishing - Iron Mike uses it. A lot of people hate it - but it does has some distinct advantages. You could try using a very stiff glass rod and almost no drag.

At some places, you are going to lose a higher percentage than at other places, and at other places you are going to lose virtually all of the best fish. The spot may support meeting the biggies but it does not support landing them.

I know you stated in a previous post you got a 26 and it broke your new pole. Now you are breaking off big fish on a reef with 50 pound Power Pro. All this has me thinking - but not about your dilemma. :D :D

ReelChitty
05-31-2004, 08:16 PM
I just switched over this year to Yo Hybrid and I love that stuff. Fished last year with fireline, even though it casts well the blues chewed it up and the color faded pretty quick on it. And before that I only used Ande, good line and all but it doesn't even come close to Hybrid.