View Full Version : DEM @ work...

JohnR
07-30-2001, 06:28 PM
I brought my wife and son down to South County Sunday to give them a look around. One of our stops was Quonny, inside the breachway, where my son was going nuts over the diving birds and what he couldn't understand, all the bass and blues pushing the nut bunker and silversides all over the place...

Well we walked down to the very busy "ramp" facility (a sloping beach into the channel). We saw all of the Yahoos flying around on PWC and plenty of cases of 20 people in 8 foot boats (OK, mild exageration, but you know what I mean). Well one father, mom, dog, and 2 teenaged sons hopped out of a 30 year old, 12' glass skiff. The boat was way overloaded when I watched these people come in through the mouth of the breachway (if the current had been heading out, they would have been in trouble (was blowing hard SW). DEM went to do a life jacket check and sure enough, they came up one short. Bad enough they were out where the were but they didn't even have the safety gear to bail themselves out if things really went south. But the violatios were just starting.

The several DEMers there at this point asked for the fellow to bring out the buckets he had onboard. 2 translucent 5 gallon buckets loaded with fish. Looking through the buckets, each appeared to be loaded up with undersized fluke and legal and not so legal scup. I couldn't see one legal size fluke in the bucket and they were were more undersized scup than legals...

Well we didn't hang around to see what the final tally was but I could see that the guy didn't get away without some penalty...

07-31-2001, 08:45 AM
Glad to see that DEM is enforcing the law!