View Full Version : A Mile Of Bass

MTC
05-31-2004, 09:05 PM
The windy weekend finally changed for the better with a beautiful morning on Monday with .... “NO Wind”.... and lots of sunshine. We had a 9:30 AM charter so I headed out to look for bait after a nice cup of coffee at Atlantic Bagel. I headed about 3 miles East of Minots and dropped a Mackerel Rig with an El Guapo lure rigged on it for weight. As soon as I hit the bottom...bang a nice 30’ Cod.

Started to drop it back down again and I saw the most amazing display of nature when a school of Mackerel swam about 15’ under the boat with an explosion of color. With some quick work, working two rods solo I had almost 20 Mac’s in the boat.

I headed in and saw a school of stripers working Herring and Mackerel that covered over a mile of ocean so I stopped and threw a live Mac over the side and threw the rod into the pole holder. I quickly grabbed the a Ultra Light Quanum Spinning rig with a Storm lure on it and hit a fat 35” Striper. While reeling it in another fish grabbed the Mackerel and started heading to England. I was two arms short and missed that one so I headed in to get my charter.

They were pulling in to the dock as I was pulling in so we headed back off to the birds off of Minots. First cast put 9 year old Alex into his first keeper ever and a start to a great late morning fishing trip.

It’s good to see the fish back and hope they stay!

MTC
05-31-2004, 09:13 PM
Photo of Alex

Moses
06-01-2004, 06:44 AM
Thats a nice way to end a long weekend....

Mr. Sandman
06-01-2004, 07:37 AM
Isn't spring fishing grand....:D

schoolie monster
06-01-2004, 12:59 PM
Would have been even more cool if I'd have been out there. As of friday, monday was supposed to be rainy. I picked sunday to go out since it had the least wind and no rain. Monday, as it turned out, was beautiful.

I got hosed.

Good to hear the big fish are here...

There were some decent schoolies inside the harbor on sunday... my daughter (6) battled a 32"er for our first keeper of the year. She was psyched.

BasicPatrick
06-01-2004, 02:28 PM
That school gave up fish to 40 pounds on Monday

Fly Rod
06-01-2004, 04:18 PM
:) Happy to hear ya had a nice day!!!

Every now and then ya get that exceptional day on the water!!!

hope ya have many more this summer!!!;) :cool:

Striper1
06-01-2004, 04:37 PM
We fished that BLITZ all weekend :D

I use my Sabiki with a 7 1/2 Oz cripherring on the end.

We are out there doing our thing getting Macks/Bass
spent more time filling the freezer.

Then I get a Cod not a big one like 25 inches anyway this Cod has a Large Herring half way in it's mouth :laughs:

BTW... Mile of Bass it was more like 2 Miles:rolleyes: :D

Got Stripers
06-01-2004, 07:42 PM
My luck, after two fast and furious nights of striper fishing southside Sat/Sun I wasn't sure I could justify a Monday outting, then of course I woke up and saw what kind of day it was. Then I was thinking, man it will be 11 am before I hit the ramp in Scituate and the lot on a holiday weekend will be full early, so I opted to head back south. Oh well, June is a month of "so many choices", not too many of them bad, but I sure would have loved to have been in on that one. Your not the only person I've heard from on that shool and you don't get many shots at schools that large or hungry.