View Full Version : Cooking Fish

Raider Ronnie
06-03-2004, 08:08 PM
Whats you're favorite way of cooking Striper, or any other type of fish, and what do you season it with?
I don't eat too much Striper as I havn't liked it in the past.
But Moosenuckle grilled some up on our dock and I loved it, I think he put Mrs. Dash on it. I think Notaro told me he fries it, I may have to try it fried also!
I eat a ton of cod and allmost all the time my wife bakes it, but last week she put some on the grille and loved it cooked that way also.
Ron

blackeye
06-03-2004, 08:12 PM
cut your filet's into bread slice size, egg it, dip it in 4C breadcrumbs with some lemon pepper, egg it again, back in the 4C and fry in buttah-
the BEST

partsjay
06-03-2004, 08:14 PM
If you bake it, first take itz crackers( a whole sleeve ) and crush them up. Next take a stick of butter and melt it. Then mix the two together and put mixture over fish; mixture should be moist. Bake on 350 for 15-20 min.

On grille: Get one of those foil bags and put onion, tomato, lemon, garlic, butter, and herbs over the fish, seal the bag and throw it on the grill.

maddog2020
06-03-2004, 08:56 PM
My Dad's way of cooking fish:

Chop a chunk of scaled fish (w/ bone is better ) and lay sliced ginger over the top (cut away the skin of ginger and slice 1/8" thick - spaced it 2" inches apart) and steam in for 15-20 mins depending on thickness. Flake fish w/ fork to check if done - should come off bone if its cooked. Set fish aside - drain half liquids away.

Heat up ~1/4 cup of oil and add a few cloves of crushed garlic. Oil should be SMOKING but don't turn the garlice black or it will be bitter. Pour over fish and add some soy sauce over the top.

Serve w/ some plain white rice. Spoon out some fish juice over meat and rice. :D

Simple & fast. Works with ANY fish. You can do it w/out the bone if you prefer. We do whole fish this way as well (sea bass, cod, flounder, talapia and even bluefish).

Moose Nuckle
06-03-2004, 09:36 PM
Thanks Ron, I'm glad you liked it. Next time I'll bring down my fryalator and some french fries. Oh ya, let me know if you want catsup or tartar sauce........Moose

Raider Ronnie
06-03-2004, 09:46 PM
Moosenuckle,
The official cook for Sea Monkey marina :cheers:

Notaro
06-03-2004, 09:48 PM
hey fred, whats up?

i hear that u must be a hell of a cook. im dying to try your cookings if u have a grill and stuff ready next time. ill bring sodas and booze (if u want).;)

Moose Nuckle
06-03-2004, 09:49 PM
Yes I am!!! One call gets it all.:D

Moose Nuckle
06-03-2004, 09:50 PM
Joe sounds like a plan!!!:D

Notaro
06-03-2004, 09:50 PM
cool, dude. ;) :D :happy:

BigFish
06-03-2004, 10:20 PM
Ron when I get home I give you my striper recipe.....better yet, I have you over and we cook some up!:D

Notaro
06-03-2004, 10:27 PM
yo larry, you told me last year that im going to try your bluefish and that it comes with a good booze?

BigFish
06-03-2004, 10:29 PM
Notaro.....we will get together, me, you and Ron and have a nice day of fishing....and then I will cook for you!:drool:

Maybe a few beers!:cheers: :gu: :buds:

Notaro
06-03-2004, 10:30 PM
cool, make sure that i dont get drunk, okay? not like the harvard square incident...:eek: :smash:

livewhya
06-03-2004, 11:35 PM
Ron,
striper is a lot like halibut as far as being a "delicate" flavor fish. you should never over season it or you can't taste it. In my opinion a lightly seasoned steamed striper filet is by far the best.
use A little white wine, bay leaf,kosher salt , ground pepper, A little fresh thyme or basil and a few lemon wheels all wrapped up in foil and steamed on the grill. this way you taste the fish!
I have cooked fish so many ways in 27 yrs as a chef, and this is the way I eat it.
Hope you enjoy it!
Executive Chef Martin J McGovern
AKA (Livewhya)

CAL
06-03-2004, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by Notaro
yo larry, you told me last year that im going to try your bluefish

Bloofish=:sick: :yak6:

I like my fish like I like my women........

white and flaky

The Dad Fisherman
06-04-2004, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by CAL
Bloofish=:sick: :yak6:

I like my fish like I like my women........

white and flaky

.......and Legal :D

fishsmith
06-04-2004, 08:48 AM
filets bagged with italian dressing for a couple hours, toss them on a hot greased grill, about 6min a side then enjoy.

crashfromamesbury
06-04-2004, 08:55 AM
i have had striper many ways.. but one way i really liked was shown to me by a spanish friend, he used the goya adobo powder.. liberally cover the fish in the powder, add some scallions, perhaps a bit of garlic, and a few pats of butter.. wrap in foil and cook over a low flame on your grill.. fish is flaky and very tasty..

i have done whole smaller (up in maine they have slot fish.. 1 over 20" and another over 40") so occasionally we get smaller ones.. clean the fish as normal... leave the head on if desired..
fill the cavity of the fish with herbs.. dill works nicely.. and other seasoning. green onions.. brush olive oil on the fish... cook the fish on both sides on the grill.. then wrap in foil and finish slowly ..

Bass Nut
06-04-2004, 09:15 AM
Good for any whitefish.

Cut filets into 6oz pieces. or whatever size you'd like.
salt and pepper the filets, dip in flour, then egg.

dip the egged filets in instant mashed potatoes. fry in butter until you get a nice golden brown crust on them, flip over and finish in oven. Preferably in the same pan.

Enjoy!
Damn I am hungry now. Had soft shell crabs last night, dems wuz yummy too.

The Dad Fisherman
06-04-2004, 09:34 AM
My favorite way is Blackened. Get a good cast iron skillet and get it nice and hot (You may want to do this outside because it does smoke like crazy) cover your filet liberally with Paul Prudhommes Redfish Magic. drop the filet in the pan and cook for about 3 minutes each side.

Serve w/ red bean and rice on the side and a nice cold IPA

Iwannakeeper
06-04-2004, 10:48 AM
Bluefish + smoke + time = :D :D :D :D :D

Server with a cold beer, some pickles and crackers, and some nice whole grain mustard.

Any strong, oily fish, Bluefish and Tuna, salmon also works in a pinch make awesome tacos. I love the following with fresh tuna

in a bowl - mix a little chilli powder, cumin, brown sugar, rice wine vinegar (or a little white-wine vinegar with a little water) , and a little olive oil. Mix well. Add thin sliced sweet white inion or scallion) coat onion and allow to marinate for 20 minutes.

Light sear on each side of a tuna steak - should
slice into strips

In a soft taco shell place stips of tuna, shredded lettuce, and marinated onions.

Suggestions
Avacado or guacamole
tomato

Striper as with any whitefish; baked, broiled, steamed, grilled, fried. With any combination of herbs, spices.