View Full Version : Surf's up

nightfighter
08-01-2001, 12:22 PM
Huge waves here on the north shore, and as I understand, up and down much of the east coast. Don't think those conditions are particularly good for surf casting, but a word of caution to all none the less. (I have been knocked 20 feet by a wave before. Was offshore, but it still feels like a ton of bricks.)
My question is this, despite the surge causing murky water, and the everpresence of 'salad' to foul virtually every cast, what do the fish do under these conditions? Move offshore?And how long before they return to their pre-surf behaviors and haunts? The water temps have risen 4 or 5 degrees in the past few days up here too.
Hoping the board has more answers than I have questions.
Regards to all,
nightfighter

JohnR
08-01-2001, 02:36 PM
Several things can happen - often before a good storm - the bass will go nuts feeding in anticipation. During these storms, I've found them way up river and I imaging those off shore will go deep. But you should still find them in the surf line as long as the storm hasn't been raging locally for a while... (but no sense doing something stupid if thge conditions are bad)

08-01-2001, 03:06 PM
I have found especially along the East Beach shore that when these unusual surf conditions comes in, providing you can get a plug out past the wave break you will often find bluefish in there. Might try a large popper like an Atom!

Canalratt1
08-02-2001, 10:32 AM
If you can find any clean water without the weeds thats where to fish. The fish will stay around the weeds but it can be impossoble to fish for them. Just look for areas that are fishable and try there, this happens on the lower Cape often.

Got Stripers
08-02-2001, 12:16 PM
I couldn't believe the surf today and I wish I'd stayed in bed :(. Those monsters breaking well past either side of every ledge I wanted to fish, prevented me from getting close enough to fish where I wanted. A few of the bigger ledges, I was able to duck behind and fish the corners, but like I said less than 10 fish in 10+ foot rollers isn't worth while. I like some swells, but these things have obviously been pounding long enough to weed/cloud up the water. I'm think river this weekend for bass or outside for cod if it's still murky and weedy.

Canalratt1
08-02-2001, 01:29 PM
GS fished for cod he last two weekends between Minots and the H bouy. Its loaded with cod to about 8 lbs in water from 80 to 150 feet. Picked up two big pollack around 10 lbs. Two weeks ago my buddy got cod to 18 lbs. only three miles out! Five years ago you would be lucky to get short cod this time of year now all summer their here!

JohnR
08-03-2001, 09:00 AM
GS - how did those waves look rolling towards my spot? Fishable from shore?

Thanks man...