View Full Version : fireline twist???

striperjerk1
06-04-2004, 12:08 PM
Is there any twist in fireline, you know like mono line does, or do you need a barrel between the leader and line. or can i hook direct. stupid question or loss my senses.

Flaptail
06-04-2004, 12:28 PM
There are several things you must do in order to make sure whatever braid or tech line you are using behaves when it comes off of your spool. First the line is best put on the spool with the use of a line winding machine. So, if you are lucky enough to have one ( which I do) you can do it yourself. If not have the local tackle shop put it on. Second you must always make sure your roller on the reel is well lubed and rolls easily when the line pays out or as the line is reeled in. Thirdly always use a good quality ball bearing swivel between the braid and the shock leader. Make sure the bb swivel has welded rings and not split rings. Lastly always drop a smidge of Zap-a-Gap super glue on all your knots.
The roller thingie is way important. Hope that helps.:D

striperjerk1
06-04-2004, 12:41 PM
Thanks Flaptail, i just wanted to reasure myself, dont want any mistakes when i go out. memory lapses stinks. lol :smash:

mooncusser
06-07-2004, 06:47 AM
Fireline is more forgiving than some of the other lines like PowerPro. There's no need for a swivel when using Fireline. I've been using it for 5 years and have always tied direct with back-to-back uni knots. Twisting has never been an issue, even on notoriously braid-unfriendly reels like the Penn 5500SS. I also put it on myself without a fancy line winding machine (which actually twist line on spinning reels, and should really only be used for conventionals).