View Full Version : Technical Difficulties...

JohnR
08-03-2001, 06:58 AM
"Son, where is your Drill Sargeant?"

"BLOWN UP SIR"

classic from Stripes :o

...well that's what happened to the message boards last night. Went to do a little speed enhancing tweak and she zagged when I thought she'd zig... The Backup Board is now running.

My evaluation of message boards is down to two. Both use PHP and MySQL which are far faster and superioir to this board, UB2K and to UBB. I've also narrowed down to a couple hosts to run the board on some serious hardware...

In the meantime - have fun and I'll try not to blow it up again...

Thanks,

John

Polish Prince
08-03-2001, 07:19 PM
John R,

I don't know very much about computers and servers and message boards (extent of my vocabulary - ha ha ha ). BUT, I do know you do a great job AND that like speed in a boat - the faster you go the more it costs. So - and here comes the heresy --- If you think it might take a modest user fee to support this board with a faster server - I'd sure be willing to contribute.

john

Patrick
08-03-2001, 11:31 PM
John,

I'd rather have the board slow then get that "Page is not available" stuff.

JohnR
08-04-2001, 01:28 PM
Thanks gents - I'd really rather keep IT free for all (as opposed to a free-for-all, uhggg - that was REALLY lame) ...

No - I have a solution coming but I'll need all of you to word of mouth this site to some others. More members will get more speed shortly down the road...