View Full Version : Sealer ???

John E
06-08-2004, 12:36 PM
I've been using boiled linseed and have no issues with it other than the drying time. Just wondering if you guys would suggest either Waterlox or Minwax Wood Hardener instead.

Jigman
06-08-2004, 01:50 PM
I have heard good things about the waterlux stuff, but not tried it yet. I don't like the minwax as much as boiled linseed. If you use the minwax, don't believe the 2-4 hours dry time: let it dry overnight. For the linseed, are you using it straight or cut? I've been cutting it by mixing 60% boiled linseed to 40% mineral spirits. Gets in a little deeper and dries a little quicker.

Jigman

John E
06-08-2004, 01:53 PM
Jigman,

I've been using it straight. Dip the plugs for about 30 seconds, wipe of excess and let hang dry. For the most part, they dry in about 4 to 5 days depending on the weather.

Jigman
06-08-2004, 09:49 PM
Add the mineral spirits and do everything else the same. It will cut the dry time in half, may be less. I wait 3 days to be sure the plugs are completely dry. Probably more in winter time.

Jigman

justplugit
06-09-2004, 11:41 AM
Jigman, did you ever do a comparison of a linseed dip vs an oil paint seal to see which penetrates better? I thought about cutting a couple of scrap pieces in half after dipping to see. But if anyone has already done it your probably one of them.:D

If not ,i will try it, but don't have easy acess to a camera.

Jigman
06-09-2004, 12:07 PM
I have not done it with oil paint. I did do it with boiled linseed, minwax, and boiled linseed/mineral spirits on messed up blanks (had the thru-holes drilled and everything). The latter seemed to sink in deepest of the three. Depth that it soaks in will depend on the wood.

Jigman

justplugit
06-09-2004, 12:24 PM
Thanks Jigman, i will try a comparison with the linseed oil and oil based primer on ayc and red and see what happens.:)

justplugit
06-14-2004, 07:21 PM
Hey Jigman, i tried the comparison over the weekend with red cedar and ayc. Dipped each in either oil based primer or 40/60 linseed .
Drilled a center hole in each,ran a pipe cleaner soaked with each through the center,left both suspended for approx 1 min.
After cutting each piece in 1/2 found the 40/60 had penetrated nicely around the wire whole into both cedars.
The paint just left a thin coating around the wire hole.

I left both suspended over night just to see what would happen.
Didn't make any dfference with the paint but the 40/60 soaked completely thru the 2x2 when cut in half.Imagine how long that would take to dry,if ever? :conf::bl:
Looks like the 1 min 40/60 has it over the oil paint.:kewl: or is it a 30sec 0r 40sec dip?:huh::bl:

Jigman
06-14-2004, 09:44 PM
Appreciate the update. I've been doing a 30 second dip lately. Don't think it penitrates all the way through the AYC though. May be I should leave them in longer :huh: For the thru-hole, I don't bother with the pipe cleaner as the mix flows right on thru the hole during the dip. I let them hang for 3-4 days before primer, though they feel dry after 1 day (garage is warm this time of year).

Jigman