View Full Version : pencil popper?

blackeye
06-08-2004, 02:02 PM
gonna spin up some pencils tonite-first time maker. So I can either dissect a gibbs pencil or ask you guys: how much weight in the ass on a 7"er? I have the cylinder weights from NJT-
also, is there any weight in the belly
thanks
chris

Christian
06-08-2004, 02:57 PM
not sure how thick of a pencil your building or how big your slugs are, but ive been fa-fa-fa-foolin with some pencils the last few weeks. dont forget to tally in the effect of the weight of the back hook. i had a few that floated horizontal, and with the little extra weight of the hook, vent verticle. sweet balance.:) ill have pics next weekish.:)

blackeye
06-08-2004, 03:06 PM
well, the doctor is in, time for the first incision:eek:

Christian
06-08-2004, 05:09 PM
:D

Mike P
06-08-2004, 09:11 PM
Here's a suggestion---take an old aquarium (they're cheap enough at Wally World if you don't have one around) and fill it with salt water. Test float the plug with the arse weight before you make the tail loop with the wire.

Make sure you use salt water in the tank, not fresh. They have different specific gravity and objects are more buoyant in the salt.

Jigman
06-08-2004, 09:46 PM
You want all the weight in the tail, none in the belly. The amount of weight will depend on how you want to work the plug. Walk the dog, less weight. Sits just a little tail down. To trash like a pencil popper should, enough weight that it sits verticle.

Jigman

Slipknot
06-09-2004, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by Mike P
Here's a suggestion---take an old aquarium (they're cheap enough at Wally World if you don't have one around) and fill it with salt water. Test float the plug with the arse weight before you make the tail loop with the wire.

Make sure you use salt water in the tank, not fresh. They have different specific gravity and objects are more buoyant in the salt.

Yep, I've been doing that for a long time now, except I use a 5 gallon bucket with a cover so no salt water evaporates. It's important to get the right weight slug in the arse.

fishing bum wannabe
06-16-2004, 11:00 AM
If you are copying a Gibbs, weigh it. The 1.5oz is 6.75" long. I'm not sure what a 7" should weigh, maybe 2 oz. Over the years I have made hundreds of pencils in various weights. Some sank, Most floated with different amounts sticking out of the water. All should float vertically, not at an angle. If they float at an angle, they don't have enough weight. Even Gibbs made some that sank, the Canal Special being an example. It just means you have to retreive faster. In the 6.75" size I like them to stick up 1.5" - 2" out of the water.

In the past I have been through my collection of Gibbs pencils, weighing them and have found that they vary a lot. I have 1/2 a dozen Gibbs "1.5" oz pencils and they weigh between 1.25 - 2 oz, most weighing more than 1.5 oz. They all fish well. Remember, you provide the action. By itself the plug does little, although a slow slide with little action can sometimes be the ticket.

I do check each batch that I turn them, weigh them, and add hooks, gromets, wire etc. to the scale, then try different size weights to get to my target weight. I sometimes have to adjust the legnth of the hole in the arse to get in more weight if the wood is light. I have never been as scientific as to use salt water instead of fresh water (except when I fish them) when I test them for proper flotation.

I think that if you can get the plug weighted so that it floats vertically or sinks slowly, you will have what you need. Rig a couple, take them fishing , and see if they work. I think you will find that the shape is more critical than the weight.

justplugit
06-16-2004, 08:18 PM
assinippi, Great to read your posts again. :happy: