View Full Version : Clear Coat Bandwagon

chipwood
06-09-2004, 10:33 AM
I don't understand why a guy who's turning plugs for himself wants to clearcoat his plugs. Is it because Habs and Tattoo and the others do it. They have to clearcoat because each plug costs $20 and they have to look pretty for that money. I truly believe that the clearcoat plug catches more fisherman than the plug that has'nt been clearcoated but the plug that has'nt been clearcoated will catch as many fish as a plug that has been clearcoated. None the less there are a lot of good looking plugs in the pictures.

chipwood
06-09-2004, 10:36 AM
The other thing I wanted to mention was that every wooden plug I've ever used gets beat down once you start catching fish on it , so why waste the time and energy on clearcoating when you're plug is gonna take a beating anyway.

Bernzy
06-09-2004, 10:37 AM
:confused:

1. So they hold up over time.
2. It enhances, protects and adds depth to a time consuming paint job.
3. So they hold up over time.

:D

Bernzy

Christian
06-09-2004, 11:18 AM
i do it because painting is hard for me. im proud of my paint jobs. i want to keep my paint.

also i use non oil based paints 75% of the time, so they have to be coated or else, byebye.

they just last much longer too.

justplugit
06-09-2004, 11:25 AM
The clearcoat gives depth to the colors and enhances the floresence colors that attract fish also. Just mho.:)

chipwood
06-09-2004, 11:28 AM
I've got some old Habs and some plugs made by my friend that have caught fish and they both are pretty beat and my friend does'nt clearcoat his plugs. These plugs are about 10 years old and they've held up pretty good.

justplugit
06-09-2004, 11:53 AM
Ya Chipwood, i have similar old plugs that keep catching with banged up paint too. Amazing how well the paint has stood up over time. Wonder how the clear coats will do over the same time.:huh: It's the action that catches,but i still think color,especially the floresence ,attracts. Just MHO.:)

Jigman
06-09-2004, 12:14 PM
Like the other guys said, protects the paint so you don't have to repaint them as often. Also adds some extra protection to the wood. I end up giving away a bunch to friends as do many of the guys here. Knowing the plug will last longer makes it worth the effort to clear coat. This is especially true when using createx or other water based paints. Without an epoxy coat on top, createx will last about 45 minutes of hard fishing before it starts looking like chit. At least in the few tests I've done with it.

Jigman

Striperknight
06-09-2004, 07:29 PM
The clear coating is not hard to do so we dont see it as a problem.

Backbeach Jake
06-09-2004, 08:02 PM
I've started using water based paints after the dismal failure of auto color. The water base that I use dries flat, the clear coat adds the last step. If you add glitter or diamond dust, clear, sprinkle, clear again. You won't want to use those plugs!

blackeye
06-09-2004, 08:09 PM
this post has been edited due to uncalled for comments made while under the influence of Jose Cuervo:rolleyes:

Backbeach Jake
06-09-2004, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by chipwood
The other thing I wanted to mention was that every wooden plug I've ever used gets beat down once you start catching fish on it , so why waste the time and energy on clearcoating when you're plug is gonna take a beating anyway.
Pride in workmanship. Period

ThrowingTimber
06-09-2004, 11:30 PM
:buds: