View Full Version : Notaro, just some advice

RIJIMMY
06-10-2004, 12:11 PM
Hey man, I have no right to tell you this but if you are spending a ton of $ on fishing stuff, your waisting your money. A cheap surf bag with a few swimmers, a few bucktail jigs, a few poppers and a few leaders and hooks rigged for eels is all you need. That’s it.
Guys have been catching trophy bass for a 100yrs without Aquaskins, Habs needles, Tatoo spooks, Van Staals and $250 waders.

No matter what passion or hobby you have, people focus too much on the gear and not the skill. People say “I’m going to take up running” then buy $200 shoes when $60 would suffice.
The guys on this site drop tons of cash on gear and that’s great if that makes them happy or their fishing more enjoyable. It does not mean they catch more fish nor does it mean they are more dedicated. Focus on the fish, not the gear. Don't put yourself in debt for no reason.

RIROCKHOUND
06-10-2004, 12:13 PM
Amen...

Rappin Mikey
06-10-2004, 12:14 PM
Yeah, and stop making fun of my Walmart rods!:D

Notaro
06-10-2004, 12:17 PM
Wow, thank you for telling me that, RJimmy. I know. I'm going to stick with what I have now. I will do plastic baits and plugs. I am lucky to have some dead eels. I know that I need more practice on my plugs. But at the same time, I feel like when I need something for the stufss, right gear... it is hard to pass up or to resist it.

RM, when did I make fun of your wal-mart rods?:p

likwid
06-10-2004, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by RIJIMMY
The guys on this site drop tons of cash on gear and that’s great if that makes them happy or their fishing more enjoyable. It does not mean they catch more fish nor does it mean they are more dedicated. Focus on the fish, not the gear. Don't put yourself in debt for no reason.

And some use plugs that have been handed down 1 or 2 generations and are probably older than most people on this board that just keep working season after season. ;)

Collectors items if they weren't beaten by fish and repainted :D

fishweewee
06-10-2004, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by RIJIMMY
Don't put yourself in debt for no reason.

Man, you sound like my wife! :laughs:

Notaro
06-10-2004, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by fishweewee
Man, you sound like my wife! :laughs:

Thank you, Im not the only one.

Rappin Mikey
06-10-2004, 12:42 PM
Remember when I posted the picture of my first fish of the year? It was a wicked dink. Well I was holding my 9' blue runner and you made some comment like "isn't that a Walmart Quantum?" It definitely was a Quantum (impressed with your eye for cheap stuff) but I didn't think it was exclusively sold at Walmart. Anyway, my brother got it for me a few years ago, and even though I have much nicer rods, it has become my lucky river rod. That thing has landed me every fish I have caught this year, and it won't go back into the cellar until I start going to the ocean every weekend. Anyway, I think people shouldn't care what type of equipment people use, cheap or expensive. The point, is Notaro can buy what he wants, when he wants, from who ever he wants. If he goes into debt, that doesn't concern anyone but him. Thats my 2 cents. Now go get some fish!

ReelChitty
06-10-2004, 12:42 PM
In the words of blitzinBlues " fish don't know what kind of rod am using."

maddog2020
06-10-2004, 12:45 PM
Sound advice, RIJIMMY !

I wish some one told me that 25 yrs ago. :(

Ok, who wants to buy my junk?! ;)

Notaro
06-10-2004, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Rappin Mikey
Remember when I posted the picture of my first fish of the year? It was a wicked dink. Well I was holding my 9' blue runner and you made some comment like "isn't that a Walmart Quantum?" It definitely was a Quantum (impressed with your eye for cheap stuff) but I didn't think it was exclusively sold at Walmart. Anyway, my brother got it for me a few years ago, and even though I have much nicer rods, it has become my lucky river rod. That thing has landed me every fish I have caught this year, and it won't go back into the cellar until I start going to the ocean every weekend. Anyway, I think people shouldn't care what type of equipment people use, cheap or expensive. The point, is Notaro can buy what he wants, when he wants, from who ever he wants. If he goes into debt, that doesn't concern anyone but him. Thats my 2 cents. Now go get some fish!

Thank you. I just buy what I really need for specific reasons. Mikey, my bad for that remark a few months ago.

The Dad Fisherman
06-10-2004, 12:48 PM
Remember...The more you're in debt, the more you have to work to pay it off......and the less time you'll have to fish.

If you have $1500 worth of gear I think your all set for awhile and should focus on mastering what you have. Then over time figure out what you need to supplement your Preferences.

FishermanTim
06-10-2004, 12:49 PM
Remember, most fishing gear is designed to catch fishermen (and women) first, and then catch fish next.
Lastly, if you can afford to buy the gear you want, do so. When my family gives me that "you bought another rod, I always say that whatever I buy WILL BE USED, so it won't just sit and collect dust.

RIJIMMY
06-10-2004, 12:50 PM
Notaro, tried to PM you. My posting was in reponse to your post below.

NOTARO: I am starting to realize about myself. I could put into time for myself. Now, I'm totally broke, I owe a debt of 1,500 to my credit company. Dad said that I better stop buying things now. And the gas prices have increased.

You just seemed influenced by a lot of guys out here and I think that you may be getting the wrong impression.
WHat I stated about what you need to catch fish is exactly what my Dad told me. He has outfished anyone I have ever meet and has 3 bass over 50lbs, he used cheap rubber waders, Penn reels, and cheap swimmers like Cotton Cordel redfins and Rebels, bucktails. He caugt tons of fish becasue he fished hard, often and learned from observing.

Sorry If I made you uncomfortable or was out of line.

Rappin Mikey
06-10-2004, 12:51 PM
No apology necessary for me buddy. I took it all in good fun. Hey, I promise me and the Rickman will get you in one of our boats for a Gloucester trip this year.

Notaro
06-10-2004, 12:56 PM
That's okay, Jimmy. You made a good point. I have a lot of cheap stuffs I used last year, but they were torn and useless. Plus, I'm looking for a big trophy bass. Hence the money. :smash:

RM, thats okay. I was hoping for the Race Point in Fall...

RIJIMMY
06-10-2004, 01:07 PM
Big trophy bass don't bite expensive plugs. They bite well placed, well worked and well timed offerings.
The worlds record bass was caught on a rebel that can be bought at any Walmart.
I'll shut up now.

Rappin Mikey
06-10-2004, 01:08 PM
Whatever dude. Although I got my largest fish of the year out of Gloucester last year. Believe it or not August was my best month off of Race Point last year. I sucked a$$ in Sept and Oct. :confused:
RIJIMMY- Rebels are awesome! Thats the only plug the guy who taught me how to surfcast fished. That guy was my daddy. I love you daddy where ever you are!

jugstah
06-10-2004, 01:09 PM
This topic has made me laugh.

Frankly speaking, I don't think Notaro is alone. I think a lot more of us are going into the red than we care to admit, what with our addiction and the quest for the elusive one, the "Cow" of our lives on a pole and reel.

And Notaro is young, I think he's just learning the hard way that eventually, what you get is what you're going to have to pay for at some point, considering he's not even legal yet.

:laughs:

Anyway, been there, done that. At least Notaro is trying to find extra odd jobs to work off the debt, and I'm sure he won't be makign the same mistake twice. Hopefully, at least!

Notaro
06-10-2004, 01:10 PM
RM, really? Hmm, we will see then,okay?

jugstah
06-10-2004, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by jugstah
This topic has made me laugh.

Frankly speaking, I don't think Notaro is alone. I think a lot more of us are going into the red than we care to admit, what with our addiction and the quest for the elusive one, the "Cow" of our lives on a pole and reel.

And Notaro is young, I think he's just learning the hard way that eventually, what you get is what you're going to have to pay for at some point, considering he's not even legal yet.

:laughs:

Anyway, been there, done that. At least Notaro is trying to find extra odd jobs to work off the debt, and I'm sure he won't be makign the same mistake twice. Hopefully, at least!

My bad, Notaro just IM'd me and told me he was 21, legally. And Here I was, thinking he was just turning 19 the other day.

My bad.

likwid
06-10-2004, 01:18 PM
Most of my big bass have been caught while live lining scup and such off the back of a boat on a pleasant summer evening in random harbors around Buzzards Bay.

hook/shock leader/balloon/clothespin.

not exactly rocket science or $20 handmade wooden plugs ;)

Notaro
06-10-2004, 01:21 PM
Do you know waht they say? You pay for what you get.

The Dad Fisherman
06-10-2004, 01:27 PM
I don't know if you golf Notaro...but you can spend $2000 on a set of clubs but......You ain't gotta thing if you ain't gotta swing.

and I'm pretty sure that if you put a $200 set of El Cheapo clubs in Tiger's Bag he can still break 80.....

likwid
06-10-2004, 01:28 PM
"The gear does not make the fisherman."

Notaro
06-10-2004, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by likwid
"The gear does not make the fisherman."

However, the gear makes him or her look cool, but he or she cant fish.
TDF, i will buy those stuffs to impress and kiss my boss and his clientees' asses and to help me to promote myself into different levels.

The Dad Fisherman
06-10-2004, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Notaro
TDF, i will buy those stuffs to impress and kiss my boss and his clientees' asses and to help me to promote myself into different levels.

I think you missed the point...I'm saying that no matter what equipment they put in your hands...If you don't know how to use it they'll never work

Notaro
06-10-2004, 01:50 PM
i retracted my previous post. youare right. but i do know how to use the fishing gears. so it doesnt matter if the stuff is expensive or cheap, its about know how to use it. i remembered that one from BM's seminar at the MSBA expo when aguy asked him a stupid question.

Big Vern
06-10-2004, 02:06 PM
If you wanted to be a better fisherman for $1500, you'd be WAY better of spending $500 on a rod, reel, waders, line, and some plugs and using the remaining $1000 for gas money getting to and from fishing.

Notaro
06-10-2004, 02:09 PM
yeah, u re right.

JohnR
06-10-2004, 02:18 PM
I agree with a lot of what is said here, for some where conditions require, using Van Staals, Skinz, nice breathables, expensive lines and terminal tackle DO make a difference but its more the edge than the meat. You can do a lot on a budget with a Tica stick, a used 704, Big Game, and oilskins. Also keep in mind, a lot of people (me sometimes included) that have some of this fancier also have the basics or have migrated over time to get here. I bought a lot of my stuff pre-kid, so sure, I can have a couple Calcuttas, 4 6500s, a few decent pens and 12 rods, but I've purchased one new reel and one rod in the past year, one reel the year before and nothing the year before that. The two years beforfe my son was born I bought a LOT of stuff.

IMO, you need two basic outfits for 90% of your typical surf fishing, a light 7.5-8' stick and a smaller spinner for light jigs, swimmers, bombers, plastics and a 9' beefier stick with a decent capacity reel that throws comfortably between 1-3 and will pinch 4 ounces. You don't NEED braid, get a one pound spool of Big Game and reline every third trip.

But once you get what you need you can chip at the bigger stuff over time. I can't compete with a FishWeeWee or Sandman for gear - never gonna happen, but if you look in the mancaves of these guys, you will see or at least once would have seen the basics in there somewhere along the line...

killerlexus
06-10-2004, 02:22 PM
some people like to have the best. my lil cousin got a snoopy rod and he can out fish any grown man at the lake.:rolleyes:
there is a reason why the expensive stuff is $$$$, because it is made with very nice material..have you seen what a vansteel looks like, in the internals> never mind the material its made with.
i dont spend enough time on the water to justify such a $$$ reel,, i am happy with my penn and walmart special ugly stick..:cool: ..it works for me.:happy:

S-Journey
06-10-2004, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Notaro

Do you really believe that, pretty sad comment IMHO? That is definitely the wrong attitude, in fishing and in life. You know what makes you look cool and impress; catchin fish and purposely trying not to look "cool". Especially if you have to complain about how much you are spending.

Saltheart
06-10-2004, 02:47 PM
The only money I ever regretted spending on fishing gear was the money I spent on cheap stuff. It just doesn't take the punishment of heavy use. I love all my expensive poles and reels , not cause they are expensive but because they are reliable in use and durable so they last many years. I would much rather spend $150 on a reel once every 5 years and know it will work than $50 every 2 years and always worry about it crapping out on me.

I would never go into debt over fishing gear but if you got the money , get what you think is best for the job. I use ABU reels90% of the time but I do own Calcuttas for certain circumstances. I won't spend money on anything but the best rods. I made that decision over 20 years ago. A good rod saves your back and arms , it extends the time I can put in before getting tired. I used rubber waders for 20 years but sure do not regret the money spent on Orvis Breathables with a lifetime warrantee that i use now. they are light and comfortable and again extend the time I can fish without getting overtired.

Anyway , I never regretted a single penny I spent on good equipment. Spending will not make a poor fisherman good but good equipment will make a good fisherman better.

spence
06-10-2004, 03:01 PM
Everybody is different.

I have a ton of expensive cookware, some of which I rarely use. It makes me happy to have it though, while others couldn't care less. At certian times having the good stuff really makes a difference in my ability to cook. At other times smacking a heavy pan on the stove makes me smile, and that's it.

Same goes for fishing gear. As long as you pay off your credit card every month, put in your time on the water and don't get jaded by the gear, there's nothing wrong with it.

It's just a hobby :rolleyes:

-spence

Krispy
06-10-2004, 03:08 PM
The only money I ever regretted spending on fishing gear was the money I spent on cheap stuff.

Definitely, I couldnt agree more

Joe
06-10-2004, 03:16 PM
I just outfitted a guy with a custom Lami 1-Piece rod, Aquaskinz dry top, breathable waders, small Aquaskinz plug bag, Penn Reel, plug assortment, Korkers, Prinecton Tec lights - I gave him a discount for a complete set up purchase....It was under a 1000 but he's got good stuff...

That makes some people puke, and others not bat an eye. Overall though, it is not a bad price to enter a hobby by today's standards. Most of my good stuff migrates to CT, NY and NJ to professionals, people who work in the financial markets, etc. Top of the line stuff is not for everybody.

I don't advise going into debt for fishing gear - a lot of the stuff I sell is boutique tackle for people who can afford the good stuff...Hell - I only have one Habs needle - the one he gave me. I confess to looking somewhat slovenly in last year's Evo I coat.

Spend your money with discretion and an eye toward longevity. The odds are very, good that your Tattoo or Habs plug will not fail - I can't say that about every plug. I was out last night fishing with my old 704Z and the Kennedy Spinfisher graphite rod Joe Mollica made me back in 94' That stuff was expensive at the time - but I only had to buy them once.

bloocrab
06-10-2004, 03:50 PM
No sense in spending $20 on a custom plug if your not picky about your line and tackle accessories. Unfortunately, they ALL go hand in hand. Find a happy medium, economically and you'll be ok. You'll know what's really important when it fails enough on you. Hopefully, the times it took you to learn ...weren't those TIMES OF A LIFE-TIME. ;)

I haven't seen many rods break on fish, most times it was abuse to the rod prior to or during the trip...neglecting eye corrosion or cracks. Line wear is BIG. People neglect to check their line often enough. A good real is important, ESPECIALLY if you don't take good care of it. The last thing you want is a reel jamming up on ya, and it will only happen when you have a BIG fish on. :)

...in closing, like John said....in our younger years we're quick to spend because we don't know the truth about life, how expensive it is...and what's REELY important. As time goes by, you learn and become wiser. I don't regret all those mail-orders to Cabela's for stupik-azz #^&#^&#^&#^&....I laugh now, but learned many lessons good and bad. Sorry about my whacked-out post...but it brought back memories of spending foolishly just to try and catch some fish. Stick to the basics, don't buy 10 of anything....and definatley not all at once.

Good Luck Joseph

Notaro
06-10-2004, 07:57 PM
thank you, guys. I havent bought new reels yet. Plus I spent those money on foods and liqueors. The main reason is that I couldnt find my bill and I passed the deadline. Gentlemen, I read your posts, they are making me feel crappy because I get another lecture from people who showed me some ropes. Not that I don't like it. It is like a Lady and Three Men movie, you know? Trust me, I ain't going to miss the deadline again. And I ain't goign to spend over 200 setup now. Probably saving it for my christmas wish list. So much stuffs to want, a long wait to go, but eventually I will have it.

S-Journey
06-10-2004, 08:03 PM
Notaro, was trying to PM you but your inbox is full. I gotta go, my wife is calling me so I'm just posting my reply here.

--------------------------------------

Notaro, just fish because you love it, when you talk about impresing people with your gear you are actualy working yourself further away from the fish. Who cares what people think, people in general are a bunch of ass' anyway. Call me crazy if you will but fishing is kind of a spiritual thing, not something that all of the most expensive rods and reels in the world could ever produce. Just like the indians, be at one with with your surroundings and yourself, do the right things and the fish will come. (and also know what you are doing, that seems to help too)

Oh well, thats my thoughts...

Notaro
06-10-2004, 08:08 PM
SJ, do you know what you just sound like my father...:) He told me why the hell do I need those stuffs. I told him that I had a purpose for using it.