View Full Version : Deer Island

WLaMarr
06-10-2004, 03:04 PM
Anyone have any advice on fishing Deer Island? I have had luck with live herring at Deer Island long ago. Yesterday (6/9/04) I was going out in my friends boat and couldn't pick up any live bait though, so I tried trolling. I was out there from 4:30 am to ~11:30 am (though I wasn;t at Deer Island the whole time). I used a 2 oz. bucktail jig for some of it and a 9-way umbrella with blue/white shad bodies for the rest of the time. Kept both lures real close to the bottom. Unfortunately, I didn't pick up a bite. Did catch some bird activity near Spectacle Island at one point and picked up a couple of short fish. Must have been the tail end of a frenzy cause it went dead right after these two catches. Any advice on fishing Deer Island without live bait? Also, I read that a lot of regulars on this board were going to go out on Tuesday or Wednesday of this week. Anyone have good luck in Boston harbor yesterday? I am new to fishing the Harbor so I would appreciate any help you could give me.

Christian
06-10-2004, 03:27 PM
be careful.you could fish the rip between the island and the light. storms , other rubber, and bucktails. if your into bait, do it. sandworms drifted in that rip, ohh mama. be careful in boat. lots of rocks, gets real shallow by the island and by the light. check your charts.

also fish the east side of the island, faun bar. also can be shallow.

lots of cod right there too, but try out a little deeper. 50-60ft is magic. 3oz crippled herrings, other stuff around that weight, whatever it takes to hit bottom. watch out for the ships, being in the channel and all.

and WELCOME TO THE SITE!:D

glad to hear your picking up some surface feeders. thats what i like:) :D i wanted to go out today.:smash: