View Full Version : history of various plug designs...

nycman
06-10-2004, 04:13 PM
i was wondering about the history of some of the surf plugs we make and use.
does anyone know who first made them and when and where? how were the originals different from those we use today?
swimming plugs and poppers seem so basic they must have been in use forever, but what about needlefish, darters, pencil poppers, pikies, etc?
im sure there are some interesting fishing and business stories behind a few of these designs...

Slipknot
06-10-2004, 05:07 PM
There is and has been alot written on the subject.

I am sure Stan Gibbs was instrumental in many designs as were countless other fishermen over the years.

justplugit
06-10-2004, 07:12 PM
NYCMAN, do a search on this forum under lure history and plug history. There is some great info there that will get you started by the real pros on this site who forgot more than i'll ever know.

Also, there are some guys here who are working on a book to be released in the not to near future that we are all waiting for!:D
Hope this helps:)

Tagger
06-10-2004, 08:32 PM
First metal lip swimmer Creek Chub
First painted scale pattern Creek Chub

nycman
06-11-2004, 05:44 PM
sorry, found a lot of info but not really the history i was looking for. had no idea CCBC made the 1st metal lips... wow, $$$.

does anyone here know...
who made the first needlefish lure, where and for what type of fish/fishing?
or... who made the first darter lure, where, and for what type of fish?

nycman
06-12-2004, 04:59 PM
no one?

Mike P
06-13-2004, 10:42 AM
This is just a WAG---I'd say Boone made the first needlefish plug.

As for darters---either Stan Gibbs or Creek Chub. I've heard Stan designed his darter to fish the outflow of the creek at Sandwich's Town Neck. He wanted something that would run sub-surface but not as deep as his bottle swimmer.

Tagger
06-13-2004, 04:19 PM
book says Creek Chub developed thier darter 1924,, I don't know if someone eles had one ??