View Full Version : Crossing the border with a boat.

Klubz
06-11-2004, 03:19 PM
Hello All!
I'm a Canadian and I have been going to Salisbury state reservation for about 15 years. Its a great place to enjoy good family time... Oh yes and fun Striper Fishing. I fish for fun and all catch and release, I'm still looking for that keeper size but even if I would catch it I'd still let it go. The way I see it; You don't need another tourist taking fish out of the water, not fair for the local folks.

Last October I bought a 16.5 Foot Aluminum Deep V-Haul, with a 4 stroke 25 horse Merc. Its approved by the US Cost Guard for up to 1000 pounds of weight. its perfect for fishing up here on our lake and river system. I'm not crazy and I do not plan on taking the boat out to sea, Way under powered and not built for that. I think the Merrimack (on Salisbury state reservation) the mouth of the river would be OK.

My question is other then the normal paper work you have for your boat; Does anyone know what I need to cross the US boarder with my boat?

I do not want to break any laws and I have been reading up on the rules and regulation on the water, but I am still uncertain as to what I need to cross the boarder.

Thank You!

jd2544
06-14-2004, 05:49 AM
I use to be in the Coast Guard on the Canadian Boarder in Eastport Maine and from what I remember You can cross the boarder but you just can not make landfall. I believe that it is considered landfall if you use your anchor on the US side.
Don't "Quote" me on this stuff, it has been almost 10 years. I guess you could call or e-mail the U.S. Coast Guard or the Boarder Patrol. They should have a good idea of the regs.