View Full Version : newbie startin

MikeTLive
06-13-2004, 09:49 AM
I have an el-cheap fly outfit that I been useing for a few years and I just picked up a second reel at the dump. Basic, clicky, no drag settings POS.

I want to load it for some experimental saltwater fishing.

What should I put on it for line, leader and tippet?

Suggestions on general areas and times to give it a swing?
I have hip boots for waders. I was thinking along the salt marshes might be worth it.

Fly Rod
06-13-2004, 08:25 PM
:) Hello Newbie!!!:happy:

1st let me tell ya I'm the worst person that you would want to learn from and I tie some of the worser flies you ever came across!!!

2nd what weight fly line is it?????

i use only 2 lines, one is a full sinking line, which i use most of the time and I also use an intermediate line once in a while!!!

a floating line is a waste of money in salt water!!! " that's only my opinon!!!!" :)

MikeTLive
06-13-2004, 09:52 PM
lookin at the cheap-o rod, #5/6 wt line
the spare reel has someone elses line so it will start life naked.

tattoobob
06-14-2004, 05:33 PM
that rod is good for trout fishing and a little light for the salt
the lightest you want to go is an 8 wt.

bob

afterhours
06-15-2004, 07:46 AM
nothing makes flyfishing less enjoyable than using mismatched piss poor equipment. not saying you have to be joe orvis, but you can p/u a nice used low $ setup on ebay or in the want ads. can,t go wrong in the salt with a 9'- 9wt. with an intermediate line.

likwid
06-15-2004, 08:33 AM
5/6wt you can nail schoolies with all day.

And it'll be ALOT of fun :D

If you wanna start chasing bigger bass, think about getting an 8/9wt rig once you got flycasting down pact. :)

LinesidesontheFly
06-15-2004, 09:34 AM
I agree with LIKWID. Take the 5 wt. out. I have a 5 wt. rod that I overlined with a Teeny 7 wt. Shooting Head Line (150gr.-175gr.). The set up casts like a dream and I can use it for a long time before I get tired.
I have landed approx. 100 fish so far this year with the 5 wt. So give it a try. The best fish last year on that rod was 32" long.
The main diff. between a 5wt. and a 9wt. is the ability to cast into a stiff wind. The weight rating has little to do with the rods ability to land large fish. I know this because I own a 5,9,and10wt. set up. I consider the conditions and use the appropriate set up. I prefer the 5 during the twilight times before sunrise and after sundown.

afterhours
06-16-2004, 06:48 AM
i might be wrong, but the main difference between a 5 wt. and a 9 wt. is the ability to cast some of the larger/heavier flies we use in the salt(i.e. clousers,herring patterns,squid). a rods backbone does come to play landing larger fish. a 5 wt. with a small fly(sm. glass minnow, cinder worm) little wind and schoolies will work,but you're limiting your options.