View Full Version : Dog Fish

Fly Rod
06-15-2004, 08:12 PM
:) Went out this evening and anchored in 150' of water!!! All for nutin!!!:smash: Still a little rough out there!!!

Tried chunking and caught dog after dog fish!!!:smash: :smash:

BEETLE
06-15-2004, 08:39 PM
maybe we should have a dogfish tournament this year :hang:

Fish On
06-15-2004, 10:00 PM
Dogfish? You know what happens when you've got a $5000 net and $3000 worth of fish and along come Mr. Whitey? when he's through it looks like a kiddi scissor class cut it up for a paper doll!

Even of this working class hero crap!

Van
06-16-2004, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by BEETLE
maybe we should have a dogfish tournament this year :hang:

That I can win !!!!!!!!!:af: :af: :af:

wjm
06-16-2004, 11:42 AM
I don't know Van I'll bet could give you a run for your money.:(

Mr. Sandman
06-16-2004, 01:58 PM
My little kid would be the champion dogfish catcher...He enjoys them! he likes the fight and likes petting them while I unhook and untangle the mess they make.
He wants to take them home and try eating them..."they look kewl dad...why can't we eat them?!"

macojoe
06-16-2004, 02:02 PM
Heck I even catch them while Cod fishing in Oct. !!!

:smash:

Van
06-16-2004, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Sandman
He wants to take them home and try eating them..."they look kewl dad...why can't we eat them?!"

:yak6: :yak6: :yak6: :yak6: :yak5: :yak5: :yak5:

Mr. Sandman
06-16-2004, 02:11 PM
The Brits eat them as fish and chips (I know that is not saying much!) but think about what a lobster eats.....how bad can it be?

wjm
06-16-2004, 02:19 PM
I'll pass. :D

thefishingfreak
06-16-2004, 02:21 PM
i personally think every single one should be be-headed and thrown back!
there only good for one thing, shark bait!
last year it was so bad we were getting them inside the harbor in three feet of water, while trying to eel for bass in the rocks.

good job marine fisheries managers!
lets protect the most abundant destructive,worthless, spieces in our waters. while all the baitfish are gobbled up left and right!:doh:

Mr. Sandman
06-16-2004, 02:24 PM
We just need to declare them a delicacy, then the comm fisherman will wipe them out just like everything else!!

RIROCKHOUND
06-16-2004, 02:30 PM
Shark bait huh....
interesting...
live bluefish and scup yup...
never tried a bowser for shark bait...
very very interesting....

Van
06-17-2004, 07:50 AM
They were'nt this bad a couple of years ago.
I believe they closed the "dog" fishery in 2002'. or early 2003'.
Now we got a Shiet load of em'.
They were so thick last season, we were bumping them while they finned on the surface..I think its gonna be worse this year.:af: :af: :af:

Roop
06-17-2004, 09:29 AM
Mass comm fisheries quota for 2004 4,000,000 #

Landed to date 6,000 #

I have been wondering what they taste like as well.

BigMike
06-17-2004, 05:42 PM
I was out on the boat a couple seasons ago with a couple friends, the girlfriend at the time, and a family friend (OLD SCHOOL fisherman). He insisted that live eels could outfish Sluggos any time, any where... he commenced to feed a dozen eels to the dogfish one right after the next while we caught bass up to 20lbs... after every dog he caught though, he would literally CRACK them in half... so they swam away on top of the water... I was a little grossed out, but the girlfriend was almost in tears... he was sure he was doing some help for us all there.. I decided to play "guide" for the rest of the trip and take off his dogfish for him.

The girlfriend, however, she's long gone

thefishingfreak
06-17-2004, 06:04 PM
crackin' em is a highly used tactic, on the party boats.
however be-heading 'em, you can leave 'em in a bucket to bleed out, and save there blood for later use.

Van
06-17-2004, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by thefishingfreak
crackin' em is a highly used tactic, on the party boats.
however be-heading 'em you can leave 'em in a bucket to bleed out, and save there blood for later use.

What is the tactic of "cracking" them?

Fly Rod
06-17-2004, 07:38 PM
:) I don't know about cracking but you can break there nose and they will swim on the surface of the water!!! ;) :cool:

thefishingfreak
06-17-2004, 10:42 PM
"cracking" them:,,,
to step on there backs, and bend 'em, till they "crack"{nervous system damadge}, then throw them back.

de-heading, is better.

Iwannakeeper
06-18-2004, 04:00 PM
Ok guys - to a relative newbie with no boat.

any suggestions on where to land-em on shore?

You do not have to burn any striper spots. But I wouldn't mind tackling a couple of dog-fish. Would like to try a work out with light tacle.

I also have some nephews coming to visit this year, and I am sure they would get a real charge out of it.

Fly Rod
06-18-2004, 09:22 PM
:) Basically you will not catch them from shore!!!

But there is always that chance that you will!!!;) :cool:

Rob Rockcrawler
06-24-2004, 11:45 AM
LAst year i saw people catching them like it was going out of style from the east end of the canal, guess thats what ya get for fishing the bottom out there. GReat fishing for them there, littlerally every cast they were coming in. That was about august on thru late october. The beaches around falmouth seem to kick out a fair number of them from this time of year on if my memory serves me right, and that was back in the mid 90's when they werent quite as plentiful.

likwid
06-24-2004, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by thefishingfreak
"cracking" them:,,,
to step on there backs, and bend 'em, till they "crack"{nervous system damadge}, then throw them back.

de-heading, is better.

This is great and all, but letting them go to have a happy dogfish life is a far better choice.

I'd think the old days of how people used to catch fish/kill fish/cause the state of the fishery as it is today would have taught people not to be goddamn retards. :af:

macojoe
06-24-2004, 12:51 PM
First time I caught one was today!! At Middle ground Fluke fishing! I have never caught them there before?? :af: :af: :af:

thefishingfreak
06-24-2004, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by likwid
This is great and all, but letting them go to have a happy dogfish life is a far better choice.

I'd think the old days of how people used to catch fish/kill fish/cause the state of the fishery as it is today would have taught people not to be goddamn retards. :af:

y
let them go to live happy dogfish lives?
why?
so they can gobble up every single baitfish that roams the atlantic?
there's two problems in the western atlantic right now.
trawlers, and dogfish.
the former can't target the latter, so the latter dominates the food chain.

mike.

Hooper
06-28-2004, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Sandman
The Brits eat them as fish and chips (I know that is not saying much!) but think about what a lobster eats.....how bad can it be?

Yeah, don't they urinate thru their skin as well?! :yak5:

likwid
06-28-2004, 01:24 PM
Notice the lack of pogies....

Whats gonna eat all the dead fish and underwater carrion when the dogs are gone?

BigBo
06-28-2004, 02:50 PM
Hooper, yes they do urinate through their skin.:yak:

schoolie monster
06-28-2004, 03:22 PM
urinate threw their skin? that must suck when they have to get dressed up for a wedding or something.

Likwid, I would tend to agree with you from a conservation standpoint... I don't like the thought of killing for no purpose either. I saw a mate do that on a cod boat many years ago and it kinda pissed me off.

But I guess they are really overpopulated. Kinda like deer in my home state of PA. I don't like the idea of hunting. I don't particularly see the sport in blowing away a deer with a high powered rifle. But the heards need thinned out.

At least you eat a deer vs. just destroying a dogfish and throwing it back in, but they are getting out of control.

And the good news is that no food goes to waste in the ocean. Something will feed off them.

Mr. Sandman
06-28-2004, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Hooper
Yeah, don't they urinate thru their skin as well?! :yak5:

the brits or the dogs:laughs:

Fly Rod
06-28-2004, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by likwid
Notice the lack of pogies....

Whats gonna eat all the dead fish and underwater carrion when the dogs are gone?

Slime eels; lobsters and salt water fleas just like they did to John Kennedy!!!!

likwid
06-29-2004, 06:25 AM
Not that there's that many Lobsters left, also check out the news about shell disease thats making its way up here from Long Island Sound. :(

dutch39
06-29-2004, 08:03 PM
I was told just yesterday that if you behead and gut the fish
right away--cut it into steaks and put the steaks on ice--
you might think you were eating swordfish. If thats true,
it will soon be an endangered species.
I'm going to try it and I'll let you know.

Raider Ronnie
06-29-2004, 08:24 PM
They urinate through their skin, thats all I need to know!!!
I almost allways break their noses and throw them back so they can only swim on top !!! peices of chit !!!:af:
Ron

Van
06-29-2004, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by dutch39
I was told just yesterday that if you behead and gut the fish
right away--cut it into steaks and put the steaks on ice--
you might think you were eating swordfish. If thats true,
it will soon be an endangered species.
I'm going to try it and I'll let you know.

My guess is they taste like @$$ thats why they are still around. Same goes for mackeral. If they tasted really good we would not be getting them like we do.

Just MHO.....If you survive eating one, let us know.

likwid
06-29-2004, 09:02 PM
Errr

Mackerel is FABULOUS actually.
Fresh Mackerel.... mmmmmm :D

Van
06-29-2004, 09:13 PM
I know some people like em' (my mother loves them too), but they are noway as popular as the basics cod haddock scrod etc...
because they are an oily strong tasting fish. not the white met kind most people prefer. If they were a white meat fish, I don't believe they would be as plentiful as they are.

I forgot bluefish too. not a big table fish, and there are plenty to be caught. Coincidence ??????

likwid
06-29-2004, 09:18 PM
Smoked Mackerel is awesome.

My gf's mother makes this.

All oily fish smoke really well.
Including eels. :D

I love me some smoked eel. :hihi:

Iwannakeeper
06-30-2004, 08:55 AM
I agree that smoked mackeral and smoked blues are outstanding.

Haven't tried smoked eel. For that matter, I have tried fishing with eels yet. Guess I could kill two birds with one stone. Take 'em fishing and if they do not produce - it is off to the smoker.

I hear taking the skins off eels sucks. Anyone have any advice?

Sorry for hi-jacking the thread.

-IWK

dutch39
06-30-2004, 04:39 PM
I did it.
I caught a dogfish-not a hard thing to do.
I followed the instructions to the letter.
I immediately removed the head and gutted it.
Then I cut it into 1"steaks and put them on ice.
Two hours later they were on the barbie.
I cooked them like you would a sword fish and I have to tell you it would----GAG A MAGGOT-------
I think the species is safe.:yak4: :yak4: :yak6: :yak6:

I think I'll stick to the fluke and bass.

gilligan
06-30-2004, 09:23 PM
i had some time to kill this afternoon and went on a pb out of plymouth for a 1/2 day trip. 30 fares in the pool and only 3 keeper cod. dogfish galore,hundreds of em. a 5 yr old boy won the pool at the last minute w/ a 31# cod. the little man did it by himself too:claps:

MakoMike
07-01-2004, 06:36 AM
Start by making a shallow cut right behind the head. Just deep enough to break the skin. Nail the head to a board with about an 8 penny nail or bigger, Now start to work the skin back toward the tail. Once you enough to grab with a pair of pliers or vice grips, get an ggod grip on it and pull the entire skin right off.

Van
07-01-2004, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by dutch39
I did it.
I caught a dogfish-not a hard thing to do.
I followed the instructions to the letter.
I immediately removed the head and gutted it.
Then I cut it into 1"steaks and put them on ice.
Two hours later they were on the barbie.
I cooked them like you would a sword fish and I have to tell you it would----GAG A MAGGOT-------
I think the species is safe.:yak4: :yak4: :yak6: :yak6:

I think I'll stick to the fluke and bass.

See I was right !!!!!;) ;) ;)
The species is safe. Opps thats not good either...:af: :af:

Stamas25
07-01-2004, 09:49 AM
I remember someone asking about catching dogs from shore. Well, I didn't think it was possible until last night, when I started to bring up dog after dog right around high tide. :mad:

Team Rock On
07-01-2004, 09:51 AM
Pretty soon you will be able to catch them on land! Hooked one in the Back River.

likwid
07-01-2004, 10:05 AM
Ahhhh they're back.

Time to start driftin chunks and pluggin.

S-Journey
07-01-2004, 10:49 AM
Last night I caught a total of about 50 dogfish. I started catching em up near Minots, then inside on some of the ledges I thought would be dogfish free. To get away from the dogs I decided to go fish around the mouth of the North River, more dogfish! So I said lets go in the South river and catch a few schoolies to get the skunk off, guess what DOGFISH IN THE SOUTH RIVER!!!!

Chunk and livie season is over for me, time to break out the wire and trolling rods.

$#%&&^% dogfish!!!!!

likwid
07-01-2004, 11:49 AM
keep it off the bottom and you'll be safe :D

Mr. Sandman
07-01-2004, 01:28 PM
That day I went to deeper water to find big fluke between MV and ACK and it was dogfish city as well. We called it quits after 3 hours of hauling in dogs and moved back inside where we did much better. Busted up some of my nice rigs.:af:

Shame because some of those spots were sweet contours.

Phestaris
07-01-2004, 02:18 PM
I was out off of Nahant last night catching dogs on rubber shad! I had a couple of small blues in the mix also.

NeedaKeepah
07-01-2004, 08:24 PM
Hey I would be happy catching dogfish. I don't eat any of 'em so to me a fish is a fish. :) Take me with you and I'll distact them away from your bait with mine lol.

Iwannakeeper
07-01-2004, 09:43 PM
LOL - I am with you needakeeper. I am jealous, sounds like they might be some fun on the right tackle.

don't think I would bother with trying to eat them.

-IWK

repirts
07-02-2004, 08:30 AM
was at the Graves yesterday evening. Started marking hundreds of fish. Looked up to discover that i was in a huge school of dog fish finning on the surface. Couldn't get anything down thru them.

Stamas25
07-03-2004, 12:10 AM
I used to think Dogfish on light tackle would be fun, until a few nights ago. At high tide I was chunking on the south shore and started to catch dogs. They dont give up much of a fight and unhooking them can be tideous if they swallow the hook. Not to mention once they're in the area they will continue to take your bait preventing the stripers from taking it. IMO a dogfish is not worth the chunk:af:

Van
07-03-2004, 06:36 PM
I could'nt get a bait down for more than 1 minute before a dog would take it. it was very frustrating. We moved inside and got a couple of bass by the rocks. It does'nt look like its gonna get any better either.:af: :af: :af:

Striper1
07-05-2004, 03:37 AM
I got one trolliing a mack this weekend:af: :af: :af:

at least the blues put up a fight:D

Stamas25
07-05-2004, 09:19 PM
yea i got a fre replies to those guys throwing chunk. good luck.