View Full Version : Nova scotia Stripers

Nova Striper
06-17-2004, 10:21 PM
Hello all, I realize that Nova Scotia the Striped Bass fishery is quite different than that you folks are blessed to have. The stripers In Nova Scotia have been through a large flux regards to numbers and size. The Striper fishery was quite weak a few years back but with conservation and educaton they are making a strong rebound. With this rebound a few groups want to re-open the commercial fishery more or less drift netting the main rivers that they frequent. This has boiled the blood of many striper fisherman here including myself. Becasue of this, a group led by Dave Doggett a dedicated striper fisherman as well as creator of WWW.novascotiafishing.com are starting the Nova Scotia Striped Bass Association. We plan to use this association to Preserve and conserve the Striped Bass as well as to educate other anglers about this magnificent species.
I relaize that many of the users on this site may be apart of a Stiped bass association of some sort with-in your area and could maybe offer an tip or suggestions to get the ball rolling.

Thanks in advance

S-Journey
06-18-2004, 09:26 AM
Drift netting for stripers, holey chit batman!

No prob with the commercial stuff, but driftneting is a nasty thing.

Best of luck, wish I could help--

Joe
06-18-2004, 09:29 AM
How big do the stripers run up there and how long is the season?

Nova Striper
06-18-2004, 09:04 PM
The season usually begins in late May and runs to early July then slows down. The Fundy would still pruduce some fish. It would pi up again in Sptemeber until mid Nov. These are fish that come form the salt in the spring to spawn then hold over until the end of summer in the fresh. They feed on Sand eels, Gasperaux , smelt, and some shad in the spring. In the fall they seem to key in on Smelt. Tried eeling but with no success. fish average in the 5-15 pound range but last year there was a 57 caught in Porters lake. Largest I got was 32 on a live gasperaux. Its a different style of fishing I think than what you folks see. Oh and there are no blues! which sound like a blast!!! When the stripers are lockjaw!! lol

Crafty Angler
06-18-2004, 09:24 PM
Do you mean drift netting or gill-netting? Doesn't matter, I guess - it will certainly have an effect on what sounds like a limited fishery for bass at what I would guess is the extreme northern end of their range. I'd always wanted to see that part of the world - I have friends who have and they say it's pretty damned nice.

The Fundy - you must have a helluva outgoing tide rip.

NO BLOOOFISH? Man, I gotta get on the horn to Clammer about this.

Hey Mike! ROADTRIP! :ss:

Nova Striper
06-20-2004, 09:23 PM
Ya being at the northern end of there range you dont see the size and numbers but if your dedicated enough you'll find fish. I fish them primarily in fresh water. Just as big and plentiful as the ocean, plus that is were they all come form anyway. Matter of fact I got a 15lb this morning while chunking some gasperaux. Biggest striper i have seen this year.Catch and release is stresses big time in Nova Scotia, keeping a large cow striper is definatly Tabu. I pick up as much as I can form this site but as a said befor the fishing is a littel different. A for the Fundy you gotta know what your doing or your in for a ride. The tidal boars are crazy. If you were to fall over you wouldnt come back up again till well probably never. Oh and every 7-10 years when the water temps and conditions are right there are some blues that wander up in thi sneck of the woods. Never seen it for myself tho.

basswipe
06-20-2004, 09:29 PM
What's a gasperaux?

eelslinger
06-21-2004, 07:15 AM
gasperaux = Alewife in Canadian