View Full Version : Will this setup work??

PROKHAOS
08-08-2001, 11:38 AM
I have a 10' pole with 25lb test yellow bright line on it. I use a metal black 18" leader, and a 15" clear leader with hook on that. So theres a grand total of 35" from my weight to the hook. Is this ok for saltwater fishing from shore? The waters are deep in spots, and swallow in others. I was thinking this would be a good setup for the deeper parts. The weight is connected to a fish finder, so it's sliding.....I tried this only because I have tried just using the clear leader with 24" in between the weight and hook, and it doesn't work well. I have the metal black leader on there only to make it easy to switch from luries to live bait,etc.... Please reply. I'm new to saltwater fishing... *( As you might be able to tell from this post )* Any and all feedback would be great! THANKS ahead of time :)

Kev

ragfly
08-08-2001, 11:47 AM
1) do away with the metal leader unless Blues are in the area.
2) Bright yellow line? If it is Stren throw it in the trash and go out and get some good line, like Trilene big game.
3) For your leader use fluorocarbon material. 20 or 30lb depending on the fish. 3 or 4ft of leader will be fine.
4) if you are using the slide rig for you sinker make sure you put a plastic bead above it on the rod side of the rig. This is to protect your top eyelit on your rod. Make sure the bead is big enough so it will not go through the eyelit

PROKHAOS
08-08-2001, 02:37 PM
Thanks for the advice. I went out, and picked up some clear 20lb Trilene test line. Also added the stopper for the slider weight.

Not sure if this line is Trilene Big Game.
Or is all Trilene line big game too?

Kev

Got Stripers
08-08-2001, 03:10 PM
Trilene XL will generally not be suitable for shore fishing, because it's not abrasion resistant enough. Trilene XT would be, but I would also recommend Big Game for most saltwater applications and the package should specify what type of Trilene line it is.

If you want a very strong, but thin line diameter, try picking up some of the Tectan from Cabelas. I used some of the 8# down at the Thames this past winter, which is obviously too light for you, but it was like holding 4# diameter line. You had to be very careful to get a good knot and test it well, but once done it was very strong line.

jettyjockey18
08-08-2001, 04:04 PM
lose the wire leader...use 30 inches of 30lb trilene big game mono (fluorocarbon is good too but 5 times the cost) tied to a good quality swivel (ball bearing preferably), then have the fish finder rig behind that...
i'd go with 20lb trilene inshore or xt line...i always thought big game was way too stiff for a spinning reel...too much memory...
tie the end of the line to a 30lb test (about 3/4 inch long) snap...i use duolocks or costlocks...this will allow you to change hooks quickly, and the fish don't seem to mind :)
hope this helps...

PROKHAOS
08-09-2001, 06:56 AM
I had the people at the bait shop put the new line on, so I don't know what type of line it is. I did tell them it was for saltwater fishing off the shore/beach. So I'm sure they gave me the right stuff. I didn't get big game though, but I'm sure this line will do just fine. I'm going fishing late tonight after 11pm, so wish me luck.
I will post anything I catch ::fingers crossed::

Kev
*(• Got Fish? • )*

Jenn
08-09-2001, 10:22 PM
Its 11:18.....good luck! Your fishin and I am sittin here putting off sleep because I know what tommorrow brings and dont want to face it (work).......hope SOMEONES out there catchin!!!! :)

PROKHAOS
08-10-2001, 09:59 AM
Jenn (08-09-2001 23:22):
Its 11:18.....good luck! Your fishin and I am sittin here putting off sleep because I know what tommorrow brings and dont want to face it (work).......hope SOMEONES out there catchin!!!! :)

Well, thanks for the post. I was fishing, and caught one 24" striper. That's it. The line works great though. If your on AOL, e-mail me at proandkaat@aol.com sometime. ok?

Jim H
08-10-2001, 01:42 PM
Where do you fish?????

I live on the North Shore in Methuen and fish the Merrimack River a lot. I also went to Salem/Beverly Harbor last week....saw tons of schoolies on the surface...caught a couple trolling the umbrella rig. Has the wife and kids with me, so I wasn't really FISHIN.

Would love to hook up with someone who REALLY knows how to fish for stripers. Or I could teach you what little I know!

Jim

PROKHAOS
08-10-2001, 01:56 PM
Jim H (08-10-2001 14:42):
Where do you fish?????

I live on the North Shore in Methuen and fish the Merrimack River a lot. I also went to Salem/Beverly Harbor last week....saw tons of schoolies on the surface...caught a couple trolling the umbrella rig. Has the wife and kids with me, so I wasn't really FISHIN.

Would love to hook up with someone who REALLY knows how to fish for stripers. Or I could teach you what little I know!

Jim

Hello Jim. I fish on Plum Island :)
E-mail me sometime at proandkaat@aol.com