View Full Version : Heading to Newport

Saltheart
08-09-2001, 09:06 AM
Spending today getting ready to shove off tomorrow for a 4 day cruise to Newport. Bad day to be getting ready ( I hate hot weather , I'm happy around 60 degrees). Its all planned and I took today off so heat or not , I got things to do. Leaving right now to makea trip to the boat to drop off stuff. Then its some shopping for essentials like Brie and tequila!! :)

Had the boat 19 seasons now (its a Bristol 22 , great boat). Was a time when a 10 day trip to Nantucket from Guilford CT (well over 100 miles) was a big trip. Now , 12 miles to Newport from East Greenwich seems to be a big deal. I can remember when I bought the boat thinking that In about 10 years the boat would be getting old and I'd have to take it a little easier on her. Now , 19 seasons later , the boat can still go anywhere and I'm the weakest link. That's life.

Anyway , hope to fish a little from the boat on Sat with Smokey. Blues everywhere in the upper bay but I'm hoping we can scratch up a striper or two in the lower bay. Sailboats go so slow its not practical to go too far to fish but we'll troll around and if the fishfinder works , we will stop and jig deep areas if we mark fish.

JohnR
08-09-2001, 09:45 AM
Good luck Salty - and keep the keel off the ledges...

08-09-2001, 09:58 AM
Better be careful, they are calling for 4-6' seas and 20-35mph winds tomorrow, along with a small craft advisory, not sure about the weekend though.

Have a good time!!!!

Saltheart (08-09-2001 10:06):
Spending today getting ready to shove off tomorrow for a 4 day cruise to Newport. Bad day to be getting ready ( I hate hot weather , I'm happy around 60 degrees). Its all planned and I took today off so heat or not , I got things to do. Leaving right now to makea trip to the boat to drop off stuff. Then its some shopping for essentials like Brie and tequila!! :)

Had the boat 19 seasons now (its a Bristol 22 , great boat). Was a time when a 10 day trip to Nantucket from Guilford CT (well over 100 miles) was a big trip. Now , 12 miles to Newport from East Greenwich seems to be a big deal. I can remember when I bought the boat thinking that In about 10 years the boat would be getting old and I'd have to take it a little easier on her. Now , 19 seasons later , the boat can still go anywhere and I'm the weakest link. That's life.

Anyway , hope to fish a little from the boat on Sat with Smokey. Blues everywhere in the upper bay but I'm hoping we can scratch up a striper or two in the lower bay. Sailboats go so slow its not practical to go too far to fish but we'll troll around and if the fishfinder works , we will stop and jig deep areas if we mark fish.

Clammer
08-09-2001, 02:17 PM
mike, I;ll be digging on the east side of Jamestown tomorrow morning -- approx 5am- hopefullly to 11am dead west of Gould Island, call me on channel 12 same handle as here and Ill meet you ,t o o hot today to dig, crashed early yesterday// Hope to se you all ,but ENJOY the four days/ have fun ///later

chris L
08-09-2001, 02:47 PM
good luck Mike ... enjoy ! dont fall over board !!

Slipknot
08-09-2001, 08:43 PM
Have fun Mike, (like you won't) I hope you have good weather, and not stuff like last Friday night. Remember sloooowwwww trolling those tube and worms. Do you have a gps? Catch a cow or 3.

Saltheart
08-09-2001, 09:03 PM
Thanks for all the good wishes. If its too bad we'll just spend the night in Greenwich Bay and go to Newport Sat AM. Yes I have a GPS. I'll be sure to look for you on the way by Gould Island Clamdigger. We might not be that far down by 11 AM though. Tied changes at 12:30 PM and I want to ride it down the bay so 11 is about what time I figure to be shoving off. I just hope its not too hot. Wish that cold front was coming through tonight.

Made some beef stew and some sausage and peppers spaghetti sauce today. Its in the freezer. It works good as ice and when it thaws , you heat it up pretty quick and eat it without having to wait for it to simmer two hours. Besides , the stew is better after its been frozen and rethawed. It gets thick.

Saltheart
08-10-2001, 08:02 AM
Do to the predicted severe weather for this afternoon , alternate plan B is in effect. Don't worry , we'll still have fun. :)