View Full Version : Big Boats & Big Wakes

Raider Ronnie
06-20-2004, 06:11 PM
Why is it that every time I drift fish and there is no other boat anywhere near me, it never fails that some a%@hole in a huge sport fishing boat or a huge pleasure yacht has to come flying up just feet from me from nowhere to send my into a huge wake!!!
It's like they have nothing else to do and want just to show that they have a bigger boat than I do!!!:af:
Makes me want to grab a 20oz sinker out of the bucket I keep them in and put it through the side of their hull, or start keeping my old wrist rocket on the boat and use some of the ball bearings that I have been saving for years, from every time I changed a wheel bearing on a car:af:
Ron

Uncle Matt
06-20-2004, 08:35 PM
RR -

That's because some people SUCK! I irritated the clown in one of the canal patrol boats three weeks ago so much that he went booting by me full speed on my starboard side 25 feet from my boat. After he yelled at some guy in a Robalo for anchoring up in the middle of the BB shipping channel he came over and ripped me a new one for trolling along the edges of the shipping channel. I felt like saying, "what about you nearly sinking me you f*$%ing idiot." Why? Because he also sucks!

afterhours
06-21-2004, 07:51 AM
was drift fishing in the sakonet in my friends small aluminum boat recently and doing well( 8 fish up to 30#). there was another guy in a 27' parker, don't think he was doing as well, when it was time for him to leave he blasted by and left a huge wake that threw us around. total a@#hole! what could he possibly be thinking?

likwid
06-21-2004, 08:59 AM
Mossberg Mariner

no more wake :D

BigFish
06-21-2004, 09:51 AM
4 ounce Hopkins Raider Ron....I keep tellin' ya!;)

fishsmith
06-21-2004, 11:09 AM
The captain I used to work for had signs to hold up:

"Thanks For The Wake You Jerk!!"

Every vessel is responsible for their own wake, If you take a fall from an aholes wake, get the hull #, then spend the next 100 yrs for a verdict.

I like the hopkins solution, it's such a versitile lure.

BigFish
06-21-2004, 12:07 PM
Deadly accurate too if used properly!;)

chris L
06-21-2004, 01:02 PM
use the rocket and ball berrings . why waste a lure or a sinker on a jerk ? I have 2 pleasure craft that have felt the wrath of trying to swamp me .

Raider Ronnie
06-21-2004, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by BigFish
Deadly accurate too if used properly!;)

I'm MUCH more accurate with my wrist rocket and the ball bearings from wheel bearings!!!
With my luck I would end up killing the bastards and end up being baby sat by Moosenuckle for a few years!!!
Ron

Duke41
06-21-2004, 08:50 PM
I love to throw up a huge wake and watch you little guys bob around like turds in the toilet....Good times:laughs:

Raider Ronnie
06-21-2004, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by Duke41
I love to throw up a huge wake and watch you little guys bob around like turds in the toilet....Good times:laughs:

My boats not exactly little :smash:
Ron

Notaro
06-21-2004, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by Raider Ron
My boats not exactly little :smash:
Ron

thats right, duke, his boat is like a raider's nation...lol:p :D but a damn comfortable boat ever. it is easier to rest.

RIROCKHOUND
06-22-2004, 07:51 AM
Given that I fish a 13ft whaler I am very aware of wakes... I keep my ears open and always have my engine tuned so it starts first pull, more then once I have had to strart and go bow into cresting waves from a ferry... such are the perils of the little boat...

Gotofish
06-22-2004, 11:11 AM
Rock Hound, have you had the please of the Newport ferry wake yet? This is a poor move on my part, but I was anchored fishing the humps in my 14' skiff just south of Conimicut Light the other day when he went by....the ferry was fairly far away so I didn't think the wake would be too bad but once it started hitting the shallower area....Thought I might have been in big trouble-big, steep waves! Lesson learned though....

BI ferry, forget about it-I run and hide like a little girl!

Bottom line is this behavior sucks. I don't want to risk losing a Hopkins and don't have a slingshot, so it's usually just the finger or a pyramid sinker.....

Van
06-22-2004, 08:08 PM
They do it all the time, and I figured it out.

They see a boat with rods and figure there are fish there, so they come by REAL close to see.

That shouldn't bother anyone...Right ???
:af: :af: :smash: :smash:

Even if they are not looking for fishermen, I think they just tend to veer towards boats at anchor or drift for no apparent reason.

Hmmm, maybe I don't have it figured out !!!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

After getting a nice wake from an a-ole last seson, he stopped about 50 yards away to fish, guess what i did when i left !!!!
Full throttlewhile getting on plane and turning to get the maximumn wake size..right on him broadside...I think he knew why i did it..:laughs: :laughs:

Crow
06-22-2004, 11:01 PM
You should try facing some of those wakes when your wading in 3' of water and standing on a submerged bog. Thats when a big sportsfisherman threw up a wake so high that it broke over me, luckily I had on my pullover top. I don't think he ever even saw me.:eek:

Gotofish
06-23-2004, 07:58 AM
Since my boat is fairly small, I like to try to flip kayakers with my wake. Extra points if they flip in the harbor!!!