View Full Version : taking tomorrow off...looking for a big slab

Mr. Sandman
06-23-2004, 11:31 AM
Going to break free from the lucas area crowd....headed offshore to get some elbow room and look for a big fluke hiding off some drop offs I have marked, the day looks perfect for that...may stop to pick up a few striped fish on the way out:)

Fish On
06-23-2004, 01:49 PM
Don't be specific but how far off shore and how deep?

Good luck!

Mr. Sandman
06-23-2004, 04:30 PM
I have about 6 spots to check out...the deepest is about 115 but most are about 60. They are not that far off shore some are in nantucket sound...I need to hone in on a couple honey holes for a very competitive local contest here in a couple weeks. I know most of the places the locals fish in vineyard sound I just need to break out of the rut. I may come home with squat but it will be an education. It will take a 14#+ to win and since my largest *ever* is 12 so I have some work to do. I was amazed how many guys caught 12 and 13# fish on a given weekend last year. I just need to break away from the fluke pack that targets vineyard sound. I can fall back on that if I need to. I want to check out some spots in nantucket sound off some of the shoals (they look prime for fluke) and I want to run out by nomans as well. I have a full tank of fuel and the day off with 5-10 kn wind predicted....look out.

Goose
06-23-2004, 04:41 PM
Have you been coming up with alot of dog fish at that dep?
Couple weeks I was drifting in 125' and coming up with dogs....expermenting with mackeral fillets w/ squid strip and 3ozs
How much do you upsize when targeting slabs?

thanks Tony

UserRemoved1
06-23-2004, 04:59 PM
Jim look for my yeller barge out there on the sw corner of that area we like :D

Mr. Sandman
06-23-2004, 07:28 PM
Goose,

I find I get more dogs when the tide slacks in deep water....

I was able to get my hands on a good amount of big local squid this spring...so I use that mostly, sometimes with a sand eel or somtimes a nice slice of Fluke belly. That is my bait. I have tried other bait but squid and fluke belly work the best for me. IMO fluke will eat anything fresh, a great bait is a live snapper but I can't get them easily and I am out of live herring now. I know they love quality squid and that is what I use...bellies lasts longer though.

My new rigs seem to be working well. Those chrome fluke balls are taking more then half of the fish. The stronger hooks help a ton...esp when you hook a big dogfish...they can twist the hell out of a cheap hook.

As far as my up size rigs, I use the larger VMC wide gaps (4/0 and 5/0(mostly)) with very large spinner blades with an entire small squid or large strip..some of my rigs have a stinger hook for a big bait.. or I also use the 4" rubba squid with a medium size strip bait. all on a 4' 50# floro leader.
Last trip my son had a glow-in-the-dark 4" rubber squid with a squid strip bait and was out fishing us 3:1. The trip prior the chome ball was the killer:confused:

You need to try those chrome balls with the green eyes that have the gamigatsu hooks, those really work well. I have them up to 8 oz. But mainly get by with 4-5 oz. on a 30# braid boat rod. (in really deep fast moving water you will need more weight)If you have a nice drift replace the sinker with these. My yongest son had a double header on on the ball and the other on the bait!! I couldn't get them both in the net, and lost the larger one and I am still getting grief about it!

Did you see that article in the fisherman a couple weeks back about targeting big fluke? I thought that was pretty good and is one of the reasons I am breaking from the pack now. I just think Vineyard sound spots are pounded too hard. There are a lot of fish in the sound but there are a lot of pressure on them.
comm rod and reelers, draggers, you and me....

I was actually thinking of booking a fluke charter and see what some of these pros do that consistanly exceed 10# fish.

Salty...you going out that way tomorrow? The weather sounds decent...I may be out that way if we strike out to the north of you. I had been thinking of working a spot out that way for a while now but I keep my boat on the oppisite side of the island now close to my home...(it might be Sat befor I get down that way) I will keep an eye out for you if I make it down that way. Bringin your fishin buddy?:)...good luck...I hear what your looking for is there.
;)

UserRemoved1
06-23-2004, 07:57 PM
I KNOW what I'm looking for is there Jim :D They be almost 2 weeks late!

T will be with me, low incoming all morning should be killer tide cycle.

Yeller boat white hard top with simrad dome...gray mota