View Full Version : Convential Breaking System

Iwannakeeper
06-23-2004, 01:00 PM
I know everyone has advised a beginner to pick up a cheap abu and give it a shot.

I would prefer to buy a great reel the first time and not regret buying a lesser reel. that said, I have been doing some on-line research which has lead to a question.

When it comes to anti-backlash breaking systems, does anyone have recommendations regarding magnetic vs. centrifugal? And I know it is obscenely expensive, but has anyone tried the new Shimano Calcutta DC - Digital Control Breaking System.

I am sure I am not going to spend $500 on my first conventional reel, but I am curious if the reel lives up to the hype. From my reading it would appear this reel will provide greater distances than traditional (magnetic and centrifugal) breaking systems.

And hopefully my last question on the subject. Are breaking systems really worth it? Depending upon who's opinion you read on the subject, you get radically different responses. But it would seem that for a first time buyer a level-wind with a breaking system is the way to go. But for an experienced angler a non-levelwind without a break system results in a much longer cast.

I figured, I could read all of the hype, propaganda out there or go to a source that I trust - the members of this board.

I doubt I will go conventional this year. My current plan is to finish this season with my spinning gear. Over the winter (and after some practice) I want to build my own conventional pole and slap on a high quality reel. And if after a little practice I would be better off without level-wind and without a breaking system, I don't want to buy the wrong reel out of the box.

goosefish
06-23-2004, 01:38 PM
You can change the mag control when the cast gets underway: start off heavy to overcome inital surge and then back the mag off as the lure gets going. You can't change the centrifugal brakes during the cast, but they really help in slowing the spool right after the lure leaves the rod tip. Both methods work.
The penn 525mag and the abu 6500cs mag would be great reels to start on. I don't yet use shimano casting reels so
can't say anything about them.

fishweewee
06-23-2004, 01:49 PM
For FISHING, I think braking systems aren't THAT important in choosing a conventional, because your thumb will be the most important brake.

In that regard, it's better to get a reel with a wide spool flange so you can get your thumb on it.

Examples are Abu 7500 series and Newell 229. It's important that you have an ALUMINUM spool. Spools sporting graphite will burn your thumb due to friction.

In any event, when you start out casting, USE MONO (20-25 lb. test with three turns of 30-40 lb. shock leader).

I have a brand new Abu 7000 non-levelwind reel (silver) if you're interested. It was converted by Steve Baratt of Australia. PM me if you want to discuss.

JohnR
06-23-2004, 02:06 PM
The true hands down best "Ant-Backlash Braking Control System" is the opposed thumb. No need for any of that fancy crap. By an Abu 6500TCST for 90 bucks and you have a nice casting reel, by a 7000 if you want more capacity...

chris L
06-23-2004, 02:17 PM
its all in the edumacated thumb . I would go with a 7000 size capacity reel . you may find you can run off a 6500 size easily .

Iwannakeeper
06-23-2004, 02:22 PM
I see a reoccuring them here.

For the price of a convench with all the bells and whistles I can buy 2 basic 7000s and still be ahead of the game.

Couple that with plenty of practice - and I am good to go. thanks for all of the advice.

I am a little surprised, that I didn't get a least a one person that voted the other way.

tlapinski
06-23-2004, 02:31 PM
get a squidder and learn how to cast like a man! :laughs:

seriously, you can't go wrong with a 6000 or 7000 class abu. i have tried most of the others (shimano, newell, penn, etc...) but i always come back to my abus. only when i feel like throwing something different for a trip or two do i change. even then, i only take out the squidder for at most two trips.

RIROCKHOUND
06-23-2004, 02:55 PM
Squidder's rock.... slooooow but solid...

Bernzy
06-23-2004, 02:55 PM
I would highly recommend the Abu 6500CS Sports Mag.
I purchased 2 of them last year and found them to be as close to backlash proof as any conventional I've thrown.
Dial up the mag to start, then back it off as you feel more comfortable.

Last year they were only available overseas. This year Mikecc has them at a much better price than I paid.
Here's the link:
http://www.capecodtackle.com/Merchant/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=cct01&Product_Code=ABU-6500CS-STMAG

Good luck,

Bernzy

Mike P
06-23-2004, 08:09 PM
You can buy 4 Squidders for the price of 2 Abu 7000s.

There's no substitute for your thumb. If you want to use centrufugal brakes to their best advantage, you'd set them optimally for a certain specific weight lure and the prevailing wind conditions. That would require adjustments whenever you changed lures and/or locations. If you set them for a wide range of weights and winds, you still have to fine-tune with your thumb in real world fishing. When a metal lip "balloons" on the cast, or a big pencil popper starts to tumble, you have to be ready with your thumb to avoid a backlash.

As far as magnetic reels go, the best one for real world fishing is the Penn 525 Mag. That's one fast reel with the stock mags, even harder to control than an unmagged Squidder. Less thumbing area so you almost have to rely totally on the mags.

Once you cut your teeth on a Squidder, you'll notice how easy it is to transition to a Newell if you make that switch. Requires much less thumbing. Pick up an Abu and you may find you only have to apply minimal thumbing, as the level wind slows spool speed.

Rather than spending all the cash on bells and whistles, you might want to mag a Squidder. It'll cost you less than $10. grandpa old spook has posted many times on the ease of making this mod. You won't have variable mag capability, but the mags will tame it and let you educate your thumb more slowly.

jsullivan
06-24-2004, 07:28 AM
Im a lefty so I am somewhat limited but have 2 abu's smoothed up 6501's and a calcutta 401 te.... and for my lighter gear for slugos /ripbaits etc. calcuttas as well but for what u want the abu's will be perfect .